• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing The Big Lake

Hookmaster

The last posting on this board was March 1st. I couldn't let this board go 2 months without someone posting.

I'll be up fishing during the week after opening weekend.

Think I'll be giving it a try around that time as well. Never fished it in the summer but I have always wanted to give it a try.

Heavy runoff, most rivers and ditches are just getting back in their banks. Meadows are still flooded up the Tamarac so the heavy flow will continue for a while. Walleyes started running about 1 1/2 weeks ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

Could be a good day trip. Thinking it going up this spring. Would love to find some Crappies also to go along with a few Walleyes.

• 2 weeks later...

Tamarac started opening April 13 which is about 5 days early. Cold weather really slowed everything else down.  When you think that walleyes started running almost a complete month ago and some are still in the river shows how it all slowed down.  I have no clue what they would consider  an "official" ice out date as unless a person is in a plane the ice could just have blown across the horizon. There was still some ice bobbing around the lake about 1 week ago. From what I've seen a tremendous amount of walleyes were caught today. It looks like it was a very, very good Opener.

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• ozzie
      2 weekends ago I got out for the first time in a couple months and we hit a little lake in the Crosslake area for some crappie fishing.  We trolled small plastics in 12-14 feet of water and caught a lot of crappies and sun fish.  The crappies were all in that 9"-11" range for the most part with one at 11 7/8" and the sunfish were up to 9".  We ended with 15 crappies and 3 sun fish kept for a nice meal or 2.  We went back this past Saturday and the fished moved to deeper waters as they were not in the 18' or less range.  We did find marks on the graph in deeper water but was too windy to try.
    • JBMasterAngler
      Made it to Riverdale Flowage today. Pretty silted in, structure less reservoir. Still has some potential. Seen a few bass swimming around, and caught 2 pike early on back to back casts, but didn’t see another fish after that. Floating leaves EVERYWHERE made whopper ploppers a difficult presentation. Jig and craw about the only thing I could use to keep that stuff off.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  An excellent week of fall walleye fishing.  Bring lots of bait as the fish are active.  There are lots of small fish in the system that bodes well for the future.  You will catch your eaters and other larger fish, but will usually have to sort through small fish along the way. Anchored up and jigging with a fathead or emerald shiner is the go to method.  Most fish are usually adjacent to the bottom.  Live shiners are available and effective.  Some anglers still using spinners with a minnow or trolling crankbaits. The best reports are coming from 17-27 feet of water across the south shore in areas such as Pine Island, Morris Point, Zippel Bay, Graceton Beach, Long Point and Rocky Point.  Various schools within these depths.  In addition to walleyes and saugers, pike, jumbo perch, sturgeon and even a few crappies are in the mix for walleye anglers.  On the Rainy River...   Emerald shiners continue to run in the Rainy River, consequently, there are walleyes around.  Jigging with a frozen or live shiner, is the go to method.  Emerald shiners are tough to beat.   Trolling crankbaits is an extremely effective technique in the river.  Also great in locating walleyes or when fish are scattered.    Sturgeon activity continues good.  A gob of crawlers and/or frozen shiners on a sturgeon rig (18 inch leader made of 60lb test, circle hook and a 2-3 ounce no roll sinker) is the ticket.  The catch and release season continues through April 23, 2022. Up at the NW Angle...  Fall fishing up at the Angle continues to be excellent.  Most anglers are using a jig and minnow or jig and plastic for walleyes.  In some areas, walleyes are stacked and active with big numbers of fish being caught.   Gold, pink and/or glow colored jigs and spinners are doing well.  Reminder, no live, frozen or dead bait being able to be transported over the border from the U.S. into Canada, consequently anglers boating into Ontario waters reporting various plastics on their jigs and spinners working great. Various areas of structure such as points, reefs and sandy areas in neck down areas continue to hold good fish.  12 - 26 feet is the range depending upon the spot.   Big crappies are active in their fall spots and being caught on jigs and minnows in 24-30' around various structure. Muskie action was hot this week.  Jigging large baits has boated good numbers of fish as well as casting and trolling.  Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.   Want to avoid crossing the border?  Charter transport via water and ice and flights over the lake are available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air both this fall and into the winter months via ice.    
    • gimruis
      I did pretty good bass fishing on Saturday from 8am - 1pm.  It was frigid when we started at 8am but by 10 the sun was fully up and it was more comfortable.  A friend and I caught 7 bass and 5 pike.  I caught the biggest bass I've caught in a month, a 19.5 incher.  The water temp was 58 degrees.  I might try going one more time and then hang it up for the season as long as the water temp stays above 50.  I think turnover has just occurred because the water temp dropped about 10-12 degrees in less than a week.
    • Wanderer
      Yep, western MN and Lake of the Woods diver reports were good from the weekend.  That Arrowhead head area is fickle for ducks and hitting the migration.     We had a fantastic week up there about 8-9 years ago and have been chasing that memory almost every year since.  We just don’t spend as much time doing it anymore.  Still love being there in October and that chase.   We went from a 30 decoy spread in small clusters to a 6 decoy spread set up in a 4/2 grouping.  That’s the one they liked.  No pass shots, wings cupped and feet down or they were left to carry on.   I gave up the fully flocked mallards in exchange for the early season mallards.  I don’t know if that change worked as well as I think it did but like I said, they came to em.  Even the geese.
    • Rick
      A weekly list of news briefs about fish, wildlife, and habitat management.Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      One of Minnesota DNR’s largest habitat restoration projects is complete. The three-year, $18 million construction project in the St. Louis River estuary near Duluth has restored 230 acres of coastal wetland habitat at Kingsbury Bay and Grassy Point.Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Nearly half a million firearms deer hunters are preparing for the firearms deer season that opens Saturday, Nov. 6, and offers opportunity to spend time outdoors with friends and family, find adventure outdoors and put venison in the freezer.Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      One of Minnesota DNR’s largest habitat restoration projects is complete. The three-year, $18 million construction project in the St. Louis River estuary near Duluth has restored 230 acres of coastal wetland habitat at Kingsbury Bay and Grassy Point.Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Nearly half a million firearms deer hunters are preparing for the firearms deer season that opens Saturday, Nov. 6, and offers opportunity to spend time outdoors with friends and family, find adventure outdoors and put venison in the freezer.Discuss below - to view set the hook here.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.