• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

TURKEY CONTEST "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

HSO Turkey Contest - Sign-up by April 1st. - Click Here.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please...IF YOU WANT MORE LIKE IT HERE..'

Have Fun!!!

Hookmaster

Fishing The Big Lake

Hookmaster

The last posting on this board was March 1st. I couldn't let this board go 2 months without someone posting.

I'll be up fishing during the week after opening weekend.

Mjen

Think I'll be giving it a try around that time as well. Never fished it in the summer but I have always wanted to give it a try.

kelly-p

Heavy runoff, most rivers and ditches are just getting back in their banks. Meadows are still flooded up the Tamarac so the heavy flow will continue for a while. Walleyes started running about 1 1/2 weeks ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

jigginjim

Could be a good day trip. Thinking it going up this spring. Would love to find some Crappies also to go along with a few Walleyes.

jb426

What day was the official ice out day this year?

kelly-p

Tamarac started opening April 13 which is about 5 days early. Cold weather really slowed everything else down.  When you think that walleyes started running almost a complete month ago and some are still in the river shows how it all slowed down.  I have no clue what they would consider  an "official" ice out date as unless a person is in a plane the ice could just have blown across the horizon. There was still some ice bobbing around the lake about 1 week ago. From what I've seen a tremendous amount of walleyes were caught today. It looks like it was a very, very good Opener.

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• ANYFISH2
      This is not my fish, just wish I could someday catch one like it!! Caught this past ice fishing season, by friends group.  Absolute slob 45" long 27" girth. I did not ask to post the guys likeness so covered his face.  Congrats to him though.  
    • ANYFISH2
      Rick G, we still had snow on the ground in the woods last week so I think it kept the ground cool enough.  Our season has been odd, a couple great days separated by many very poor days.  We are pushing 400 gallons of sap so far usually get 600-650 yearly.  Temps look good end of next week, hopefully the trees stay sweet.  No budding yet and syrup is still light in color so we should have some time still.
    • PRO-V
      A hunk of uncooked lasagna noodle attracts them well also in a trap.
    • smalliehunter
      no length, no weight.  Thought I had caught a new state record smallmouth lol.  Have never caught another northern or any other type of fish other than smallmouth off that spot still to this day.
    • Rick G
      Anyfish.... your lucky you sapping season is still going. Ours here in St Cloud area dried up by last wed.... my taps are still in, but its all over.  One of the shortest sapping seasons I have ever seen. 
    • Rick G
      Like icehawk said, dog food works well, i would put it in cheesecloth or an old sock w someholes in it to keep it all from washing away too quickly. Those small barrel type traps can be very effectife if you have a good size population of minnows in your creek. 
    • Wanderer
      That sounds pretty efficient!  When I was growing up we’d seine a creek too to get the smaller minnows.  A little later we had a cabin on a river in northern MN and would catch creek chubs like @Kettle mentioned.  We’d have two rods with; one for chubs and one for rigging the chubs for bigger fish.  A grasshopper or worm from an overturned log would start the show.   These days you have to be careful about transportation of bait between waters though.  Bait dealers have to trap under permit to be VHS free.  Be sure of the regs wherever you’re trapping and fishing.   The good ol days were good!
    • Rick G
      Well, I made it out for a little bit today.  Still was a fair size sheet of ice floating around on the main lake yet, not too bad considering 90% of this lake was still covered this last thursday.Water temp was 39 out there. I headed back into a small bay out of the wind.  Water temp was 48 in the furthest back corner, this is where I found a few bluegill hiding.  Size definitely was not what I was looking for, but sometimes it isn't always about catching the big'uns😊 I found myself content just to be back out casting the long rod...a few fish pulling on the line was an added bonus😏 Better days of catching are right around the corner
    • IceHawk
      Austin small minnow traps baited with some small dogfood or bread pieces. Toss in creeks deeper pools in backwaters especially off rivers. Leeches crushed coffee cans baited with beef spleens or liver,  pull real early before first light before leeches escape. Just make sure there not blood suckers and good leeches  Crawlers I get most of mine after a good hard rain on a couple back blacktop roads that are loaded doesn't take long. Be setup for bait for a while even if bait stores are closed . 
    • Kettle
      I would catch Chubs using tear drop jigs and pieces of really small angle like worms. How I catch walleye in rivers, catch Chubs to catch the walleye 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.