• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

IceHawk

2019 Fishing Opener Plans

IceHawk

Well we are still about a month away but hopefully a few are getting excited for the up coming opener in May. Wondering what every ones plans are for this year. Been a tradition for me to do the Horseshoe Chain on opener with my group but we are thinking of some other options this year. Thinking of Big Kandi or possibly Green leaf this opener.  Little nervous about the boat traffic on Kandi but after dealing with fishing the chain for many openers I'm no rookie to dealing with boat traffic and fishing pressure.  The chain is always  a zoo but understandable  as it always produces plenty of eyes.  Might be a hard option to try somewhere different but both these lakes have me intrigued as I spent some serious time ice fishing them this winter. Lets here some opener picks and traditions you will have for this years opener. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

smurfy

pretty sure i'm staying off the roads and lakes. its much better for my blood pressure!!!!!!!!!!! BUT theres a little lake north of Richmond I had my eye on last year till the weather turned crappy!!!!!!! Lake Z!!!!!!!:whistle: 

• Like 2

JBMasterAngler

Don’t have any opener traditions. I’ve typically fished the St. Croix to avoid the crowds of people everywhere else. There’s a “secret” lake up north I’m strongly considering this opener though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Kettle

Sold my boat last year for funds for graduate school but that won't keep me from fishing! I'll find a lake or river to shore fish from in the waders around Grand Rapids or on the range. Hopefully have a water temp above 45!

• Thumbs Up 2

BIGFISH.JZ

There's a lake "Up North" I used to live on, that has always treated me good on opener. The walleye bite is like catching sunnies off the dock. Lots of keepers and many 22"-26" to release. Once I have limited on eyes, the chances of hitting a 36" or better pike in the shallows are really good!!

I would love to tell everyone the name of this amazing lake, but since nobody else is giving up their secret lake, I guess I'll have to be the first to tell you where I have a tradition of going for opener... BUT don't tell anybody!! Shhhhhh.... It's Leech Lake!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

LoonASea

I'm heading to New York to fish the St Lawrence for the first time ,,,, Heard good things about it ,,, I can skip the comedy at the landing in Mn 

PRO-V

Lake of the Woods for the whole week. 12th year now I think.

• Thumbs Up 2

smurfy
7 minutes ago, PRO-V said:

Lake of the Woods for the whole week. 12th year now I think.

With all the lakes just out your front door????🙄😂

Borch

I'll be fishing at night most likely.  Usually really good for me early in the season.  That way I miss all the craziness during the day.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike89

stay home and watch all the fun!!!  

PRO-V
12 hours ago, smurfy said:

With all the lakes just out your front door????🙄😂

Too many people for me locally. Fished Winnie most of my life but got tired of a couple hundred boats on a spot and being followed around all the time. We would get on fish and the crowd would move in like vultures.

• Thumbs Up 1

IceHawk
10 hours ago, Borch said:

I'll be fishing at night most likely.  Usually really good for me early in the season.  That way I miss all the craziness during the day.

That's right Jeff you like that vampire fishing 😀 Cant disagree with you your track record of success at night has  proven it can be good. Did it quite a bit in my youth myself but as I age  I like my sleep to much and a good cup of coffee at daybreak 😀 One of these days I'll have to slip back over to the darkside and try my luck. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

IceHawk
44 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

stay home and watch all the fun!!!  

And miss out on all the chaos and  mayhem 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

smurfy
30 minutes ago, PRO-V said:

Too many people for me locally. Fished Winnie most of my life but got tired of a couple hundred boats on a spot and being followed around all the time. We would get on fish and the crowd would move in like vultures.

i hear ya!!!!!!!!! i figured out along time ago, on those big busy weekends..............go up the weekend before or weekend after............pretty quiet then.

smurfy
30 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

i dont know about Mike, but at my age i dont need that ...................

Mike89
2 hours ago, IceHawk said:

you bet!!!  where I live I can see the lake very well..  and see all the road traffic to boot!!!!  that can fun in itself!!!!!  🐟

smurfy
35 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

you bet!!!  where I live I can see the lake very well..  and see all the road traffic to boot!!!!  that can fun in itself!!!!!  🐟

Besides that, you got a woman now to say when and when you can't!!🤣😘

• Haha 1

Mike89
2 hours ago, smurfy said:

Besides that, you got a woman now to say when and when you can't!!🤣😘

she is not my boss, yet!!!!   no she does not push on any of my plans and for that I'm glad!!!

• Haha 1

gimruis

I usually go to Mille Lacs on Friday at midnight and fish until sunup for opener with a lighted glow bobber.  Its become harder and harder to do it the older I get though, and its even harder to get someone to commit to going with.  The drive home at 6am when you've been awake for 24 hours straight without sleep is pretty rough.

eyeguy 54

Hoping to be fishing on bowstring monday or so after the opener. live shot from geigers webcam this morning. nice rain coming down now here so hoping to get a bunch of crawlers. I love feeding eyes crawlers that I picked from my yard. Opener traditions have changed many times over the years. This year most likely will hit a few shore spots on the mississippi again. Or in the kayak. :)

417.png

• Thumbs Up 1