• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Full Moon Crappie Frenzy

BIGFISH.JZ

I'm gonna let you in on a secret that I discovered many years ago on a lake that had low numbers of very large Crappies. We all know that sunset is a time when Crappies become hungry and active. They seem to appear out of nowhere and after a half hour flurry of action, they disappear just as quickly. Often when fishing this lake I would get a bite or two if I was lucky. One night a friend and I were set up in my usual spot and right on time, we started catching fish. We ended up catching over a dozen 13.5"-15.75" Crappies that evening. About halfway through the action, as we realized we were doing much better than I ever had on that lake, my friend commented on the full moon. It was just peeking above the trees, and the beautiful sunset was on the opposite horizon. Not realizing what provoked that prolonged action, we both were eager to go back 4 days later. I got 1 fish, he had 1 bite, as was typical for the lake. Puzzled, we were talking about our last trip, and we came to the conclusion that the sunset and moonrise combo was the cause of the outstanding action. People talk about the full moon creating better activity "because the fish can see better". I am VERY convinced that is NOT the reason. 

Musky fisherman know about the power that the moon has. With moon rise, moon set etc. being times when a big fish is more likely to strike. 

Other fish like huge Crappies feel the power as well. When the moon is full, moon rise and sunset occur at about the same time. The combination of both high percentage times at once creates a MAGICAL window that occurs once per month. 20150927_185926_HDR.thumb.jpg.ff6b341ef53992c5524cd5025266dcd6.jpg

Since then I have capitalized on this monthly occurrence many many times, for walleye, eelpout and musky as well as the crappies. It is way more than just a coincidence it is MAGIC!! Sometimes the days before and after the full moon are also excellent, occasionally 1 is even better than the full moon night. But any time you are planning a trip for a challenging species or difficult location try to be there at that magical period and you will improve your odds of success. 

It doesn't matter if its cloudy and the moon is not visible the magic is still there. Hopefully you can unlock the potential of a lake with this little tip. 

Remember that C.P.R. (Catch-Photo-Release) is key to catching bigger fish as well as the key to the future of fishing.

• Thumbs Up 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      So that's how you have been doing so well these past years. You brought a Guide! 👍 😉
    • leech~~
      What were you trying to catch on the sand bars and what time of day were you there? 
    • Hookmaster
      Rick G, how many times did Hairy bite until you hooked it?
    • gimruis
      If you intend to fish past Sunday, you'll need a new 2021 angling license.   Additionally, the deadline to remove permanent/overnight fish houses is Monday in the southern half of the state.  If found unattended over night beyond the deadline, enforcement officials can confiscate the house itself.
    • nytelyter
      Count Me and Ann in.  Will Bring PIE even came up with a new flavor this past summer called "Lemon Drop" also I will Bring chips and Clam dip. keep us posted thanks!!  
    • CigarGuy
      Was that you out fishing by the mouth of H.O.L. Bay last evening? We went out towards Wakemup, marked a few but not takers.
    • SkunkedAgain
      Well I sure picked the wrong week to be up at the lake! I certainly enjoy the coldest of days more than this spring weather in February. Seeing the sun is nice, but I'd rather see that at the end of March versus now. What powder there was on the lake is virtually gone. On the plus side, the snow base is solid and good for 4-wheelers as well as sleds. Hopefully we get 6-12" of snow soon and then we will have some great riding conditions. I didn't ride the trails, but did ride quite a bit in the woods. Things are getting bare.   Edit - I just walked outside....it's snowing! I should have complained sooner...
    • smurfy
    • walleye101
      At the risk of sending this thread further off the rails, let's talk "slots". There is nothing majic about a protected slot limit (PSL). It can be a useful tool if your spawning stock NEEDS some protection, or if there is demand for growing larger fish.  All of the lakes you mention have had a PSL in the past, and some still do.  The most used PSL originally, protected all fish from 17-26 inches, because that protection covered almost all the mature females in a population (and lots of mature males). The thought at the time was that if some spawners are good, more is better, or at least can't hurt.  Wrong! Almost all those lakes have since adjusted those PSLs, or eliminated them. Red closed the fishery during restoration, then used the PSL while spawning stock still NEEDED some protection. Upper Red has since abandoned the PSL all together for much less restrictive, one over 17", or 20" regulations. Both allow considerable harvest of spawners. The other lakes mentioned have all experienced some stockpiling of excess spawning stock and suppression of new year classes, causing managers to make multiple adjustments to allow more harvest and free up productivity. Lake of the Woods, which you didn't mention started out with a 19.5-28" PSL to be more compatible with Ontario's regulation (50cm). That worked out well because it allowed considerable harvest under the PSL, reducing spawner density before they grew into the PSL.  Finally there's Mille Lacs which has continued with very restrictive harvest regulations, currently with a closed summer season, no PSL, but insted a two inch harvest slot limit.  Lot's of large fish, an abundance of spawning stock, but recruitment of new young fish has been dismal.  Now can we get back to discussing why a statewide bag limit reduction applied across all Minnesota walleye lakes, natural or stocked, makes no sense?       
    • 7sixes
      Thanks everyone for the reassurance! Everything was fine but not a thing was biting and nothing even appeared on text book perfect sand bars 😭

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.