• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey gang is the ice off yet?  Just kidding.  Quick question, I'm thinking about spending the whole summer at my water access cabin (1 mile east of Trout Lake portage) and would like to get my mail forward to me.  Does anyone know what part of the lake the mail boat covers? Is it better to just have the local post office hold your mail for pickup?  Would I use the Tower post office (Greenwood address)?   Any help or guidance would be appreciated!

We get mailboat delivery on Black Duck Island (east Frazer Bay) starting around the 1st of June through the first week of September. Other times, the Tower PO is good about holding mail. Aronson Marina runs the mailboat and could answer your question about Portage Bay. 

Good luck,

Dick

I've read about the mail boat in the past, and it sounds like a great operation.

My water-access neighbors just had a PO Box in town and would pick up their mail on a semi-regular basis. At my estimate, 95% of mail that arrives is junk so you probably aren't missing much by picking it up once per week.

5 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

I've read about the mail boat in the past, and it sounds like a great operation.

My water-access neighbors just had a PO Box in town and would pick up their mail on a semi-regular basis. At my estimate, 95% of mail that arrives is junk so you probably aren't missing much by picking it up once per week.

If in fact you do get mail delivery, you might want to check out "premium forwarding" which you have to pay for but works way better than regular forwarding.  It is from the post office.   They hold your mail and then once a week stuff it in a priority mail box and send it to the temp address.   

I did use the premium forwarding this winter when I was working at Death Valley National Park.  It was a good service (a bit spendy at +$20/week) but it did forward ALL mail including junk mail (which kept the junk mail from filling up my mailbox at home). I'll check in with the folks at the Tower Post Office about getting a box.... thanks.