• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MikeG3Boat

Heading up to the Whitefish Chain this weekend.  Any new info?  Did the water cool down some?  Last time I was there the water was 82-84 way too hot.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!  Have a great weekend!

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ozzie

• rayguy

• MikeG3Boat

• Wiley Coyote

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was out this past weekend for a little bit and caught a handful of walleyes and a bunch of pike. We fished 13-18feet mostly. All of our fishing was done on main lake structure. Our biggest was 25.5. W

Back from the wild West boys and girls.  A great trip through the National parks and up to Jasper.  Coming back through Canada the potholes in Alberta and Sask. are full of ducks.  As you get closer t

Fished middle WF on Friday afternoon and got a 17.5" and 22" eye on a white jighead/leech in 18 and 23 fow. Tried midday on Saturday for a bit and didn't get a bite. The boat waves were insane at time

Posted Images

No Info from me to be given as I have not been up since the weekend after the 4th...hoping to get up this weekend and try some deep water trolling if the floating weeds aren't too bad out there.

• Thanks 1

i just texted a buddy that lives up there and asked him what he was catching for the last few weeks and he said he went out a couple times and said there was sooo much boat traffic it made fishing near impossible.

• Thanks 1

FIL was out last night and the report was he caught 1 22" eye deep water trolling.  heading up tonight to give it a run.  will report back Monday

• Thanks 1

Was up this past week and fishing was really slow.  Trolled deep from Big Island to Foleys and back with one Northern the results.  Really was not a whole lot suspended in the 50+ water. There is no way to fish middle Whitefish on the weekend.  Every pontoon in the world now ties up around the sand dune island and the boat traffic is unreal.  Looks like Minnatonka ,  not a good thing. Did get a few small walleyes on leeches early morning , nothing to brag about.  Keep a eye out ,   lots of crazies out there.  Think the Sheriff needs to hit the lake for a few days to settle the Windsor crowd down a little.  

• Thanks 1

I hear ya on the difficulties fishing any lobe of Whitefish on the weekends!  Just have to get up and be done before 10am or go back out after 6pm and the lake settles a little.  We trolled "lower" WF on Thursday evening and only caught 1 northern.  Didn't appear to have as thick of a gathering of fish...

We went back out on Saturday morning to try our luck on Whitefish for Whitefish and in 2 hours caught 1 3.5lb'er and missed a few bites.  Wow can they be fun to pull out of 50-70 ft of water.  We use jigging raps but wow do whitefish bit lightly but put up a good fight...and there are plenty of them on the big lakes!!!  Good fish on the smoker too!! 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Times are tough.  Fishing really slow for everything but the hammer-handle pike. Tried everything I know for Walleyes yesterday and got zip.  Plus the floating weeds have returned.  May try Bass till water cools a bit. To all you pontoon drivers. It’s a big lake you don’t have to come forty yards from a boat trying to fish. Be considerate . 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like i haven't missed much then the last couple weekends!  It sure amazes me when you have a huge lake to navigate yet the pleasure boaters feel they need to cruise close to the fisherman.  Just be glad they were pontoons and not the stupid wake boats!!!

• Yayyyy 1
anchor man

It's the Minnetonka of the north out there these days. Being nearly ejected off the bow seat while trolling is the new normal. I never thought I'd need a 96 inch trolling motor shaft to keep the prop below the surface. 🌊

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

Hopefully if next year is better for the  pandemic the lake will get back to normal. Once the people can go on trips etc and back to work the crowds here should be less. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello. We fished LWF last weekend and caught 2 - 22" walleyes, 4 - 24-28" northern, and 1 18" smalley. 2 adults and 3 kids fishing for about 4 hours. Kids caught all the fish :-). All but 1 of the fish were caught on rigging minnows or jig. I personally tried crawler most of the time, and caught a lot of perch. Feels like bait fish are abundant so minnows are best option from here IMO. The fish we caught were in 20 - 25 ft close to deep weed beds. Slow fishing. I marked very few fish; leads me to believe they aren't very active yet. But that will change. I hope to fish 3-4 days next week. Cooler weather may get fish more active. I'll start looking at some of my fall spots on the lake....points with deep weeds mostly. Good luck.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Any new reports?  I was fishing 2 weekends ago and everything was very slow.  I am planning on heading back first weekend in October.  Hopefully the fish will have turned on by then.  Been a very weird year.  Stay safe everyone!

I had some very aggressive bites on sucker minnows under a bobber over the weekend. It was only pike and bass, but they were devouring 5-6" minnows without toying around with it first. Seems like the Fall feedbag is getting underway. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I fished a couple of hours on Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning. No wind, blue sky, and warm. Marked a few big fish but overall didn't see many on the graph. Caught one very nice small mouth and a bunch of 6" perch riggin a lindy with a crawler or fathead. Nothing more. Going back up first week in October. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Hit up the lake Friday afternoon running around we did not get anything but one 22" eye pulling a lindy with a worm.  We then pulled out of the lake and Saturday went to Winnie.  Stayed dry up there but the fishing success eluded our boats.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Headed up tomorrow for the next couple weeks and the fall closedown.  Hope to get some fishing in .  Last time we were up fished a couple days with not much success.  Couple of small walleyes but did get into some nice crappies.  They were suspended off a deep weedy point.  What a strange summer for us all.  Hope next year we can get back to normal. If I have any luck I'll post the results.  Go Twins.  

• Thumbs Up 3

Rayguy how's the fishing been that past week+?  I am headed up on Friday and hope to wet a line on Saturday possibly to take the kids out crappie fishing or if the day gets away from me then check out the walleyes...hope you are sore from reeling in all those monster fall fish!!🎣

Ozzie its been fair.  Have caught enough to eat .  Nothing big and they are pretty scattered.  Best depth has been 20 to 25 feet.  Mostly on deep water points and dropoffs.  Crappies are suspended over deep water.  Have been getting them on tube jigs or small cranks.  Tried trolling crankbaits yesterday morning and only picked up one 18" walleye.  River chubs have been best bait but have also had action on crawlers. Weather is great.  Good Luck.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks rayguy!!   I was able to get out Saturday afternoon and hit our usual shoreline.  Nothing but a pike, a bite off, and a good fighter up to within 15' of the boat and it got off before being seen!

Pulled boat this afternoon in 30 mph winds. Cold coming so called it a season. Very slow for fall fishing. Did get three good Walleyes on Sunday . All on crawlers in 20 ft of water. Nothing since. A very windy fishing season. Don’t remember such strong winds so often. Till spring. Ray Guy

• Thumbs Up 1

Sad day when we know that our season has come to an end...winter is coming and the wait for spring begins!  Hope the winter treats you well Ray!  until next open water season🍻

Wiley Coyote

Does anyone know where ciscos spawn on the chain?  I may skip deer hunting this year and try fishing the first weekend of November.  Am I crazy?

Edited by Wiley Coyote

It is a good thought, and a thought i have had the last few years, but never have done it as it has just gotten too cold out for me to fish!!  I don't like to fish when my eyelets all freeze up constantly.  As with anytime on the chain your chances of getting nothing are better than killing it, but if ya find urself in the right place at the right time you may just have the time of your life!!  Good Luck!!!

JBMasterAngler

Best bet would be to troll tiny flashy spinners until you mark schools of fish. Then use winter tactics when you find them.

• Thumbs Up 1
Wiley Coyote
On 10/18/2020 at 2:16 PM, JBMasterAngler said:

Best bet would be to troll tiny flashy spinners until you mark schools of fish. Then use winter tactics when you find them.

Not looking to catch ciscos, looking to catch the things that eat ciscos, lol

• 2 months later...
ozzie

made it up to Crosslake this weekend and got onto the ice.  I fished Horseshoe lake (mission area) on Saturday and found pickling sized pike but no crappies and the lake had about 12" of ice.  Sunday morning met a buddy and we went onto Whitefish where we found 12-14 inches of ice in the area we were fishing.  We caught a few northerns, a whitefish, and I missed (spit the hook) what i believe was  nice walleye.  Fished in 22' of water on a break.  was nice to get out and find some decent ice!  Good Luck

• Thumbs Up 1
  • 2 weeks later...
ozzie

Got back up and gave the ol WFC another shot...was on the north west end of the system again and fished in the 22' range along a fast break.  Had a million annoying perch around but did land a nice 22" whitefish saturday morning before I left for Mille Lacs.  Had 16" of ice this weekend on WFC.  Hoping others were doing better than I!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...
MikeG3Boat

Anyone heading to the WFC for the opener this weekend?  I am planning on heading up on Friday morning and hope to find some Crappie on Friday before trying to some Walleye on Saturday.  Last time on the water the temps were only low to mid 40's.  Anyone have any updates on the water temps?  I will be fishing in a Red G3 boat with a Black Talon and Yamaha kicker.  Stop and say hi if you see me, I might be fishing solo this weekend.  I will publish something about my trip Sunday or Monday.  Good Luck Everyone!  Stay safe and Tight Lines!

• Thumbs Up 2
ozzie

i will be up in the area but not sure i will hit the chain.  the history with me and opener on the chain has not been productive so this year I am finding a smaller shallow lake in the area and going to hit it for walleyes.  I have not asked my father in law what the temps were but he has hit south cross and clamshell a few times and when fish are caught they have been on the smaller side.  Good Luck to you!

• Thumbs Up 1
anchor man

I'll be up there with a couple friends on the chain. Never have any confidence for walleyes on opener, so we'll go after whatever bites (with an emphasis on eyes). 😀

• Thumbs Up 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Some good walleye fishing this week.  As many summer weeks, it was helpful to be versatile.  On the big lake, sometimes you have to play the wind, meaning, you have to be flexible where you fish.  
      The fish were there and some great catches this week.  Most fishing in 25-33 feet.  Some are still jigging.  Frozen shiners and leeches were both good this week.  With water temps in the mid to upper 60's, leeches and crawlers will heat up.  
      Spinners (otherwise called harnesses) with minnows, leeches or crawlers were all effective this week.  It is good to mix up colors and bait until you find the right mix.  Gold, glow, pink, orange, chartreuse or a combo of them are good colors in stained water. 
      More and more anglers trolling crankbaits with success.  Some have been trolling cranks since the opener but it seems most anglers wait till the water warms.  A great method to cover water and find cooperative fish.  
      On the Rainy River...   Some good summer fishing reports from the river.  Walleyes being caught jigging, pulling spinners and trolling crankbaits.  Current breaks and holes holding most fish.  
      Smallmouth bass in rocky areas, current breaks, bridge embankments and weed edges.  Lots of bass in the river.  Crankbaits, spinnerbaits and tube jigs are good lures to start with.  
      Pike are adjacent to weedlines, in slack water areas and in bays.  Working shorelines whether trolling or casting will normally produce nice fish.
      Sturgeon anglers, mark your calendars, sturgeon season opens again July 1st.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  Walleye fishing continues to be strong up at the Angle.  Fish coming from literally 5-33' of water.  Not every walleye is keying on the same food sources.  With structure, rocks, and mud, lots of variety at the Angle.  Jigging, spinners and cranks all producing. 
      Muskie season opens Saturday, June 19th.  Lots of nice fish already caught unintentionally as these predators like to eat.  Muskie anglers were forced to fish MN waters last year with the border closure were happily surprised with the size and quantity of fish on the MN side.  This year should be good.
      Pike hanging out in weedy bays.  Smallmouth relating to rocky points and reefs.
      With the Canada border still closed, there are many ways to get up to the Angle.  
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• Jaroberts28
      By Jaroberts28
      Hey guys, going up to nine mile lake camping and noticed that Echo lake next door has Atlantic Salmon. Any tips on catching one? Is it even possible this time of year? Any help would make me and the little one super happy. 
      Thanks,
      Andy
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      Just got back from our annual Grand Marais trip! I don’t know, maybe I’m just getting old and cranky, but over the last several times I’ve been up there, I’ve been liking the town less and less. Getting too artsy, hippy, liberal for me 🤷🏻‍♂️ Also sad to see the northshore getting absolutely “loved to death”! Has totally lost it’s up north feel.

Anyway, enough ranting. Fishing was terrible! Numbers and quality were way down. Aside from 2 smallies that barely scratched 17 inches (both were skinny), not even any medium bass were caught. Only caught a few small pike, and 1 walleye. As always, kids had fun catching sunnies from the dock at hungry jack lodge. By the way, we ate at their restaurant for the first time…AMAZING! Also fell in love with castle danger cream ale. Had fun on greenwood lake watching bass jump out of the water and catching dragonflies. There must have been a hatch going on, because they were everywhere! And every bass had fat little belly’s. The rainbow trout on kimball lake has fat belly’s too. They were gorging on mosquito larvae. Casting from shore on superior was actually productive…on the way up I caught a long nose sucker on a daredevil spoon. In front of our motel, I finally caught my first lake trout from superior! Anyway, overall it was still a fun trip. Did some hiking, mini golf, alpine slide. Didn’t see any moose, but we did see a bear and a wolf. 

As always, the people at Hungry Jack Lodge were great! I think we’re going to start staying there from now on.

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Walleyes were active this week.  Some warm weather hit the north country and the fish responded nicely.  Jigging with a live fathead minnow or frozen shiner vertically jigged or drifting spinners with a minnow or crawler in 15-29 feet of water has been the ticket for most walleye anglers.  
      Snelled spinners or harnesses work well all summer into the fall and also is a really good way to cover water.  They are also versatile as they can be fished shallow to deep.  1.0 - 1.25 mph is a good speed, as long as the spinner is spinning.
      Colors to start out with... hammered gold by itself or with another color, pink, glow red, orange and chartreuse.  All good colors in the stained waters.
      Trolling crankbaits is gaining steam with very good results.  A great way to cover water.  Get the lure where walleyes are living and hang on!
      On the Rainy River...   Some good walleye fishing on the river.  Most anglers fishing the river are locals or folks with smaller boats or on windy days.  Although many walleyes head back to the lake after the spawn, not all do!   There is 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth at Wheeler's Point to Birchdale which is 26 miles east of Baudette.
      Most anglers jigging with a minnow with spinners and crankbaits starting to perform well.  
      Multispecies in the river.  Smallmouth bass in rocky or slack water areas.  Pike in bays.  Sturgeon season opens again July 1st.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great walleye fishing continues around the Angle.  Fish coming from 14-25 feet of water.  A lot of fish being caught in the mud, but plenty around structure as well.
      Jigging with a minnow and drifting with spinners the go to methods.  Not as many anglers pulling crankbaits but they are working.  Much like the south end, Gold or gold mixed with another color has been effective this week.
      With the Canada border still closed, there are many ways to get up to the Angle.  
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• Mastercaster
      By Mastercaster
      Anyone been out to Elephant lake lately? Water level up/down? Having any luck?
      The East Coast Boys will be heading up this Friday and on the Lake by Saturday (27th year), don't worry Russ & BR we will save a few for you (kinda like the backrow boys)................

• Dash 1
      By Dash 1
      Finally got out Thursday morning to wet a line. Pretty slow. Got 1 bass, 1 northern and a big catfish.  First time getting a cat there. Pulled like crazy and for some reason my dragged decided not to work properly. Luckily I didn’t break the line.  Lots of weeds floating at access. Had to do a lot of cleaning when I loaded up. Big thank you to the young lady checking for AIS. She helped get the weeds off, then I power washed it at home.  Good luck everyone.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Some excellent walleye fishing this week.  Guides did a nice job of being versatile a couple of days when the wind really blew.  Jigging with a live fathead minnow or frozen shiner vertically jigged in 14-29 feet of water has been the ticket for most walleye anglers.  
      Never discount trolling.  Some good reports of trolling crankbaits with very good results.  A great way to cover water where walleyes are living.  Mix up cranks with different shapes, sizes, wobbles and colors until you get dialed in.  Good to have everyone in the boat with a different lure to start out.
      Some popular crankbait colors to start out with...  pink UV Firetiger, Firetiger, chrome / blue, gold / orange.
      More big pike surprised unsuspecting walleye anglers this week.  When you get hooked up, hang on!
      On the Rainy River...   Some nice walleyes are being caught up and down the river in 8-15 feet of water.  A nice alternative to the lake for smaller boats and big blow days.
      Most anglers jigging with a minnow.  Spinners with crawlers and crankbaits are also a good option to cover water.  The river offers many species of fish in a setting second to none. 
      Sturgeon season opens again July 1st.  Summer sturgeon fishing doesn't get attention due to walleyes but it is productive and fun.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great walleye fishing continues around the Angle.  Fish coming from 13-20 feet of water.  Anchored around neck down areas with a bit of current, points and around shoreline structure producing nice fish.
      Most anglers jigging with a minnow.  Gold / chartreuse is a good color this week.  Gold, glow colors and brighter colors in the stained waters are a solid choice.
      A complete list of lodging and fishing packages available in Baudette, on the Rainy River, south shore of Lake of the Woods and up at the NW Angle at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging

• JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      I only had a very short amount of time to fish this morning, so I went to the Apple River. Even though it’s pretty close, I never go here for the simple fact, the fishing is no good! I’m just amazed at the lack of fish holding structure this particular stretch has (Star Prairie). There’s no riffles, pools, boulders, undercut banks, nothing! It’s just fast water! I did catch 1 little rainbow, and lost 2 others. So it was nice to see at least a little sign of life in Apple.

• Djsnej123456
      By Djsnej123456
      Looking to head out kayak bass fishing with the gal here in the next couple weeks on lake independence. I have never been on the lake and would love some help to get her a few fish. Bass only. Thanks
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A great week of walleye fishing.  Jigging with a frozen shiner vertically jigged in 14-25 feet of water has been the ticket for most walleye anglers.  
      Some anglers locating fish shallow, especially in current areas or on a wind blown shoreline.  There are also good numbers of fish being caught anchored up in deeper water.  Different schools of walleyes are often tuned in to different bait, hence, not all walleyes are doing the same thing.  It is good to trust your electronics, try an area and if no luck, move on.  
      Jig colors, gold, orange, glow, pink, chartreuse or a mix of these colors on the same jig.
      Some good reports of trolling crankbaits where walleyes are roaming.  Crankbaits allow you to cover water and put your lure in front of a lot of walleyes.  Trolling shorelines, even if nobody else is, can produce good results.
      As is the case in a strong pike fishery, some big pike being caught but unsuspecting walleye anglers.  Many pike over 40 inches boated this week.
      On the Rainy River...   There is always a resident population of walleyes that live in the river even after the annual spawning run is over.  Some nice walleyes are being caught up and down the river.  
      Most are still jigging with a minnow.  Try current breaks or holes in the stretch of river you are fishing.  There are 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale 30 miles east of Baudette.  The river offers many species of fish in a setting second to none. 
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great walleye fishing this past week around the Angle.  Fish coming from 5 - 25 feet of water.  A big variance but fish the goto spots.  Neck down areas with a bit of current, points and deep edges of bays producing nice fish.
      Most anglers jigging with a minnow.  Gold and brighter colors in the stained waters have worked well.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.