• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

ozzie

no downriggers.  I used shallow rapalas and my fishing partner used deep divers.  we both ran in the 90-150ft of line out.  The fish are free range feeding on minnows over the deeper water cooling off.  There are a lot of fish in the 20-60 foot depth range but my belief is the fish feed up and are roaming closer to the top of the water than we see on the graph.  For the fish caught we ended up with more eyes caught on the shallow and therns on the deeper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ozzie

Got out again Friday early morning and then again Sunday evening fishing on the chain...Friday morning was a bust as we tried trolling over deep water and did not get anything.  We then tried jigging raps on a weed line that treats us decent through the years and got 1 12" eye.  Sunday we tried again planning on taking a tip from a friend and trying some structure using long leaders lindy rigging...we did not get a bite despite the graph littered with fish in the 18' range.  I switched to a jigging rap and caught a 16" and a 19" in 20 minutes then we drifted off the spot while the other 2 set up jigging raps and by the time we got back to the structure the fish disappeared and we went deep water trolling back to the access.  while doing so we caught an 11" crappie over 70' of water and that was it.  Good times on the chain again!!!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

ozzie

got out for a couple hours on Friday from 8pm to 10pm.  Started jig rapping on a now popular spot on middle WF and only wasted 15-20 minutes doing that before we started trolling over the deep water.  We went into Trout and trolled all the way across the lake landing 2 17.25" walleyes. One on the west side over 70' of water and the other on the east side over 120' of water.  Once again just a beautiful evening on a beautiful chain of lakes!!

wf chain sunset.jpg

• l Love It 1

TAJ

Hello. I fished a few hours Tues, Wed, and Thur mornings this week. Picked up a walleye or two each morning between 8 and 10 AM. Worked weeds and reefs in middle WF. Mornings were in the upper 40s. A little chilly. Spotted a bunch of fish, just weren't biting when I was out. I'm certain if I were on the lake by six I would have picked up a few more...but I like my rest!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

rayguy

Back from the wild West boys and girls.  A great trip through the National parks and up to Jasper.  Coming back through Canada the potholes in Alberta and Sask. are full of ducks.  As you get closer to Minn.  there are very few ducks.  Tell you something.
??  Spent some time around Flathead lake in Montana.  There they treat lake trout as trash fish. Get em 30 lbs. and think there junk. Wow   Back to the lake in a week or so.  Sounds like I haven't missed much.  Leave me some.  Rayguy

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

leech~~
4 hours ago, rayguy said:

Back from the wild West boys and girls.  A great trip through the National parks and up to Jasper.  Coming back through Canada the potholes in Alberta and Sask. are full of ducks.  As you get closer to Minn.  there are very few ducks.  Tell you something.
??  Spent some time around Flathead lake in Montana.  There they treat lake trout as trash fish. Get em 30 lbs. and think there junk. Wow   Back to the lake in a week or so.  Sounds like I haven't missed much.  Leave me some.  Rayguy

Most of the folk around Flathead are from the Rez.  They may not like Laker so most?  I wonder if they get good Ice on that lake? huum 🤔

Wanderer
6 hours ago, rayguy said:

As you get closer to Minn.  there are very few ducks.  Tell you something.
??  Spent some time around Flathead lake in Montana.  There they treat lake trout as trash fish. Get em 30 lbs. and think there junk. Wow  

Yes!  Quite the regional differences!

Sounds like a great trip though.

• Like 1

ozzie

welcome back rayguy! 

I got out for 2 hours Friday night and landed 2 eyes both 15.75" trolling across Trout.  Neither caught near each other again but what we catch is always the same size as the other fish...weird!!!  Oh well another great sunset to view!!  The fall bite should be starting soon especially with the weather and the temps dropping.  Off to the work week and back up Thursday to hopefully get out more than once this weekend!!  Good Luck

• Thumbs Up 2

ozzie

Labor day weekend had me getting out a couple times on the great WFC!  We started Friday eve trolling from Trout access and landed a 15.25" eye right in the first 5 minutes...another hour trolling produced nothing.  We then went onto WF and started checking old haunts in the shallows and found a couple more ending the night with 3.  Saturday evening had us back out on the lake and we skipped the trolling and went back to our old haunts and jig rapped a few in the box in a couple hours before dark.  Sunday we got out around 10am stopped at our spot and got nothing so went to a community spot and saw a buddy land a nice eye...bs'd for a few minutes and then headed back to landing where buddy gifted us his 3 eyes he landed from 10:30-11:30.  Overall another beautiful weekend on the great lake system!!  Bring on the fall bite!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

rayguy

Headed back to cabin tomorrow for rest of month.  Just looked at the water temp.  and can't believe its mid 60's already.  Fall is here guys.  My neighbor at the lake texted he has been catching fish on the fall spots already.  Imagine Red Tails are at the wallet buster price.  If I get out next week a I'll write up a report.  GOOD FISHING!

Edited by rayguy
spelling
  • Wow 1

ozzie

Don't forget to try worms!  Last year we skipped the redtails and went worms for our fall trip and did excellent!!  Keep me updated as I won't be able to get up there until the last weekend of the month😫  pretty sure temps were 65-67 over labor day.  GOOD LUCK!!!

• Like 1

Wiley Coyote

So I'm going up to the chain on the weekend of Sept 28th.  I've never really fished for eyes up there in the fall.  Any tips on what depths I should be targeting?  Is this a good time if year to rig big chubs?  What about trolling cranks or throwing soft plastic swim baits?

ozzie

I will also be on the water that weekend with a group of buddies.  At that time work the remaining weedlines and look at hump and breaks near the deep water.  I have not had great success on the big minnows out on WFC but I do know that crawlers (jig or rig) and rapala's and jigging raps all have been successful for me out there.  Just need to move and groove until you find some fish in the 15-40' of water range and start attacking them.  Good Luck

• Thanks 1

Wiley Coyote

Thanks Ozzie!

ozzie

also shorten the amount of water you are looking at and work whitefish lakes and leave the rest alone.  Fish can be had in Trout and Cross but %'s improve in WF IMO

• Thumbs Up 1

Wiley Coyote

Duly noted

Wiley Coyote

Anyone have a rough idea when the ciscos start their fall spawning run?  I've heard they spawn on sandy/gravely bottom and it can be a good pattern to target walleyes if you can time it right.

ozzie

I believe the run is dictated by water temp...seems to me I remember in the upper 40's lower 50's which usually is in November.  I was supposed to make it up there this weekend but my wife got a call back from her cancer removal and they need to take more tissue out as they didn't get all the cancer...#[email protected]  surgery is Thursday...hoping this time is the last time they need to open her up to deal with this sh!t

Edited by ozzie
  • l Love It 1

Wiley Coyote

Hope everything goes well with your wife, Ozzie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rayguy

Ozzie prayers to your wife and yourself.   Cancer  seems to effect all families somewhere along the line.  Hope all goes well.   Far as fishing its been pretty hit and miss. Think the weather has something to do with it.   Fish think its still summer.  Now with more normal temps I think the fall bite will kick in.  We have caught walleyes from 12' to 25' with no real pattern.  Cranks have been dead,  trolling over deep water has been a dud,  best has been lindys with live bait .   Red tails are so $$$$ haven't tried them but our neighbor has and only got snakes. Far as the duck opener it was pretty slow from what I have heard.  Shooting died off by 8:30 on the weekend and none heard since.  All I see are wood ducks and the geese have vanished.  So enjoy the warm weather as old man winter will have his day soon.  Good Luck

• Thumbs Up 2

Robin B.

Oct. 31, 2018 saw young bull moose on State Highway 65. South of County Road 28 about 2 - 3 miles.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow 1

ozzie
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:04 PM, Robin B. said:

Oct. 31, 2018 saw young bull moose on State Highway 65. South of County Road 28 about 2 - 3 miles.

wrong forum topic and area (as in a ways from WFC) but cool none the less!!

rayguy

Heading back to cabin on Monday for the last dance.  Pulling boat out the 17th so if I find any kind of a pattern I will post it. Pretty  chilly up there right now.  From the neighbors report its been pretty slow since it got cold.  Any news from the chain?

• Thanks 1

Wiley Coyote

Was up last weekend to help dad put things away for the fall.  We got out for a few hours in the afternoon.  Nothing.  I got bit off (jigging rap) and that was it.  We were checked by the CO and he said everyone he encountered was not having any luck either.

• Wow 1

ozzie

I actually made it up for a day run on the 29th as I had some things to do...we caught 1 eye 17" over by Foleys and then missed a couple and got a couple bite offs.  I had one nice bite on a jigging rap and had about 4 cranks of the reel before it shook and spit the rap out...amazing that a lure like that can be bit by a fish and not get them hooked!!  Was beautiful out (prob too calm!) and we also got checked by the CO's...buddy forgot he bought his license online this year and kept the CO's around longer then they wanted to be but they let him go with the idea they would send him a ticket if he didn't have it.  Funny cuz it took him another hour or so before the light bulb went off and he remembered that he bought it online! HAHA  I sure hope to get out on the water fishing a couple more times before the ice locks the lakes up but the forecast has those plans looking bleak!  Good luck 

• Wow 1