• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see what is shared. Just 99 cents to join. Click here please.

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

LakeofthewoodsMN

Lake Of The Woods Fishing Report | 3.4.2019

LakeofthewoodsMN

South End

Great reports continue to come in for walleyes and saugers. Fish being caught in a variety of depths from 24-34' of water.  Morning/evening bite in 15-20'.  Some suspended fish.  Keep jigging lines moving.  Gold, glow red and other glow colors effective.  Try rattles to draw fish in.  Deadstick with a plain hook and live minnow.  Fish houses on ice through March 31, walleyes open through April 14, pike season open continuous.  Thick ice, extensions needed.  Resort houses available with good ice.  Ice roads open.

Rainy River

A strong current in the river this year and a lot of snow.  Snowmobile trail on a river is open and marked from Baudette (downstream from the bridge) to the lake.  Stay on the trail for safety.

NW Angle

Excellent reports across the Angle.  Walleyes coming from 22-30'.  Saugers and jumbo perch mixed in.  Jig one line, second line dead stick with a plain hook with a live minnow.  Snowmobile trails from south shore across the lake to Angle are marked with fresh snow.  Lots of slush off of the trail. 

Angle Outpost_022719.jpg

Jumbo perch, Zippel Bay Resort_030119.jpg

Luzaich

How much ice on the river? 

CANOPY SAM

"Snowmobile trails from south shore across the lake to Angle are marked with fresh snow."  HUH????

Just follow the "fresh snow" might be a little misleading. 😆

Bigfatbert
6 hours ago, CANOPY SAM said:

"Snowmobile trails from south shore across the lake to Angle are marked with fresh snow."  HUH????

Just follow the "fresh snow" might be a little misleading. 😆

I would bet it’s a typo . 

Snowmobile trails from south shore across the lake to Angle are marked and with fresh snow . 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Rick
      By Rick
      Let's see your pics!!!

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports - Click Here
      Click Above for 2020 Fishing Reports↑↑↑↑
      2009-2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports below↓↓↓↓
      Go ahead and post your Lake of the Woods fishing reports and conditions in this thread.

More current Fishing Reports - Click the >> link above to the right after the NEXT link.

For 2019 LOTW Fishing Reports - Click here.

Questions welcome too.

Fishing Reports by the TOP Lake of the Woods Fishing Guides, Charter Captains & Resorts are in here - Click Here.

Lot's of good info and our best members posting below already. Newer Reports are on pages that follow.

Be sure to give back and share your fishing reports here as well

Thanks.
    • Raven77
      By Raven77
      Current Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports - Click Here.
      I'm new to this forum and new to Lake Vermilion.  We just purchased a cabin on the west end of the lake and I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can as fast as I can about the lake.
      I have snowmobiles and a portable shack so I can fish almost anywhere there is good ice.  I also have a 16' wheel house that we have used extensively on Lake of the Woods.  Does anyone on the west end of Vermilion plow ice roads to allow access with my wheel house?
      Thanks for any info you can provide!
      Chad
    • Robert James Ferdinandt
      By Robert James Ferdinandt
      Looking for recommendations or feedback from anyone that has used any of the drill adapters with a hand auger like StrikeMaster has vs using a dedicated auger like the pistol bit. I can see there is some weight difference between the two but you can get a set up for half the cost if you are okay with the weight. 

Adapter: https://www.rapala.com/strikemaster/auger-accessories/two-stage-drill-adapter-for-auger-drills-/NDA-3.html?cgid=strikemaster-augerAccessories&taglist=StrikeMaster|Auger Accessories#start=3&cgid=strikemaster-augerAccessories 

• Patrick Bennett
      By Patrick Bennett
      I have a Good condition eskimo Hc40 10 inch auger runs great, I am selling as It is bigger than what I need at the moment. I am asking 300 but i may be able to work a little lower. I live in the west metro area just for reference 
      IMG_4309.HEIC IMG_8141.HEIC IMG_5616.HEIC
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      We're still OPEN & fishing up at the NW Angle!
      Fishing on the Minnesota side continues to be best early morning and from sundown to dusk. Work deeper edges of the break line in the morning and afternoon, moving up to the flats and points for an evening flurry. With low pressure coming for the weekend expect fishing to be excellent.
      On the Ontario side, Crappie action was really good this past weekend in 30+ feet of water. Lots of fish over 14."
      Lake conditions have drastically improved as water making slush has receded below the ice or has frozen over in most areas. Caution should be used in areas of high current or between islands. 
      Hard water fishing ends April 15th!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Areas of slush on trails in Minnesota are refreezing overnight and are still in good condition if well-traveled.  Walleye action is getting better every day, with mornings and late evening being best.  Rippin’ raps and buckshots are enticing violent strikes; 18-22 ft of water is key. Big northern pike are hitting jiggin’ spoons and tip ups with large baits.

Anglers venturing into Canada continue to find schooled Crappies and big walleye deeper into 30+ feet. A slow presentation is most effective for catching crappies. 

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota snowmobile trail conditions are in good shape. The Baudette trail is great north of Knight Island. Walleye action heats up in periods of stable weather. The best catching is happening in 21-25ft, with the most productive method being a dead-stick beside an actively jigged rattle bait such as a buckshot or rippin’ rap. Glow white/pink is out producing other colors. The late ice bite can be phenomenal on Lake of the Woods, ice permitting we will have houses out through the end of the month!

Canadian fishing is recommended via snowmobile as they are light enough not to drop into the slush as easy as other track vehicles. Crappies are still filling buckets and walleye are actively feeding on reef break lines and points. Walleye season is open through April 14th. 

Sunset Lodge

• I_Love_2_Fish
      By I_Love_2_Fish
      This is a pretty cool video - I have to admire Jay's wife to go along on the fishing trip despite being sick and being rewarded by catching a trophy walleye. Also, I've never been in a SnoBear but they look impressive - if we get any more snow here I might need one just to get to work!!

http://huntfishmanitoba.ca/blog/2019/02/11/lake-winnipeg-ice-fishing-snobear-jay-siemens-vlog

Cheers,
      Tony
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• gunner55
      So that's what you call all that MGL now?😉
    • gimruis
      I fish the crappie contest every year on Lake Minnetonka in early May and someone brings in a 15+ inch crappie out there every time.  Last year the biggest was a 16.5 incher.
    • ozzie
      I am sure Icehawks theory doesn't play out on all lakes, but my findings is more inline with what Icehawk stated.  It may have to do with after a lake is winterkilled pressure is usually nonexistent for a few years, and if there is a good year class hatch the next year, they tend to grow quicker as the competition is less and the forage can still be abundant.  When I was on the ice more often I used to keep an eye on lakes that winterkilled and would try to hit them 2-3 years later.  Not always a payday but often we found success with little competition for fishing spots.   Good read and discussion!
    • smurfy
      while i tend to agree with most everything you posted icehawk, i'm going to disagree to a degree regarding the winter kill and fish growing big faster. NOW i'm not looking for an argument!!!!!😂 the lake our cabin is on is what what i would consider was one of those trophy fish, sunfish, lakes back in the day. since 1965 when we first bough the place 3/4 to lb sunfish off the dock. this lake has had a winter kill 4 times since we owned the place. last year it had a severe winter kill, and i'd bet all the beer in my house that it will get finished off this year.   one year it had a winter kill, fish population decreased but was ok so to speak.  several years later it had another winter kill, and numbers and size went off on the wayside. it did rebound in numbers but never in size. it be a good outing if ya caught 3 to a lb fish.   now before you say it i will. i'm sure it has alot to do with it being a smaller up north lake. like itasca county north. the lack of weeds for food or cover where never an issues, actually probably is a main reason it winterkilled. there is a 50 ft hole as well as a good amount of 20-30 ft of water. but alot of shallow 6-8 ft of weedy bays!!!!   ok icehawk....give it to me!!!!!!
    • IceHawk
      Partial Winter kill  basically thins the population, eliminateing the stunting going on in a lot of lakes because of a over abundance of panfish.  Sort of thin the herd.  During a partial winterkill not all panfish will die and the ones that make it grow real quick.  This comes  from less competition for food and forage.  Another benefit is getting rid of high rough fish populations that frequent a lot of winterkill lakes such as bullheads carp. Rough fish  basically ruin the ecosystem by destroying weeds which in case create habitat and microorganisims that it takes to grow sumo panfish.  Sort of a full circle rebuild  in the underwater world.  
    • smurfy
      hoping to make it.....kinda far drive though!!!!!!!!!🤔 its also about that time of year when the wild game feed is in town!!!!!!!!!!
    • Getanet
      Really interesting advice. I'm especially interested in why you say to look for lakes with occasional winter kill. Why is that? Less competition for food?
    • IceHawk
      I would say Yes as Jeff talked to me earlier in the week and wants it to be a Cat Panfish gathering and we all know the Chain is catfish central.
    • JustinN
      I'll be there!
    • IceHawk
      There has been a lot of talk about trophy fish  on the site and in the fishing community as of late. So I thought I would try and give some advise maybe some tips to a approach that helps me up my odds of landing some quality fish. .Obviously there are different opinions on a trophy caliber fish to some who aren't as experienced or don't get out a lot  a 8 1/2 inch gill or 11 inch crappie is considered a trophy. My hats off to them and a congratulations goes out to them but IMO  in time with experience they will set the bar higher. Myself  and a few other experienced anglers I fish with set some pretty high goals for ourselves. I consider a 10 inch gill up and a 13 inch crappie up trophy caliber fish. I know that standard is high but its been achieved quite a few times and you have to set higher goals to work hard to achieve them. Here are some steps I recommend to help in your search. 1)  Well first thing is research, do some searching here and other areas on the internet and find out what areas counties are notorious for kicking out trophy caliber fish. You definitely up your odds and percentages by putting yourself in the right area.  You don't want to hit lakes that are notorious for small panfish AKA nursery's. And also be willing to put on some miles there's a reason trophy panfish come from far away less harvest and pressure. I will help your search Douglas, Todd, Beltrami, Ottertail and Kanabec are some bread butter areas that always produce trophy fish every year. 2) Go to MN  Lakefinder in that county you intend to target  and search lake  surveys. Look at two things number of fish netted and size netted. For Gills I look for high numbers of 8-9 and with any luck a few in the 10-11 in same lake.  For crappies I look for high numbers in 10-11 and a few in the 12-14 inch range. Next lakes with occasional winterkill and 5 -10 fish limit rules are worth investigateing. 3) Once a lake is selected do some research on it water clarity history etc. Pick the lake according to time you intend to fish. If daytime fishing stained moderately dirty lakes would be my choice. If fishing the evening  AKA wheelhouse dunking minnows a clear body of water will  normally be the ticket. I also like to chase trophy panfish in Known walleye lakes as they tend to grow some hogs as they often aren't targeted for that species  and get bypassed by the walleye fisherman. 4) Go out fishing an if all possible get out prime time very early before first light or right before the evening bite. IMO in all my years of fishing I would say 75% of the trophys I have caught Ice fishing have been at daybreak. My philosophy is noise really plays key in ice fishing. Ever notice how the Red Lake bite and many other lakes always die when the trucks and wheelhouses come out? Noise pushes them off. I like to have holes cut shacks set  well before dawn in prime locations and be ready.  Isn't that why there called sunfish 😂 And be quiet you cant realize  how many times I witnessed on my camera fish spooking from as much as a boot with cleats scraping ice. Lastly  when fishing on a piece of water get to know your neighbor fishing by you give a friendly Hello maybe start a conversation some small talk . You cant imagine how many leads locations on that lake I have got just by being friendly. Hopefully some of this advise tips will help a few in the Quest of a Trophy.😁