• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

TURKEY CONTEST "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

HSO Turkey Contest - Sign-up by April 1st. - Click Here.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please...IF YOU WANT MORE LIKE IT HERE..'

Have Fun!!!

LakeofthewoodsMN

Lake Of The Woods Fishing Report | 3.4.2019

LakeofthewoodsMN

South End

Great reports continue to come in for walleyes and saugers. Fish being caught in a variety of depths from 24-34' of water.  Morning/evening bite in 15-20'.  Some suspended fish.  Keep jigging lines moving.  Gold, glow red and other glow colors effective.  Try rattles to draw fish in.  Deadstick with a plain hook and live minnow.  Fish houses on ice through March 31, walleyes open through April 14, pike season open continuous.  Thick ice, extensions needed.  Resort houses available with good ice.  Ice roads open.

Rainy River

A strong current in the river this year and a lot of snow.  Snowmobile trail on a river is open and marked from Baudette (downstream from the bridge) to the lake.  Stay on the trail for safety.

NW Angle

Excellent reports across the Angle.  Walleyes coming from 22-30'.  Saugers and jumbo perch mixed in.  Jig one line, second line dead stick with a plain hook with a live minnow.  Snowmobile trails from south shore across the lake to Angle are marked with fresh snow.  Lots of slush off of the trail. 

Angle Outpost_022719.jpg

Jumbo perch, Zippel Bay Resort_030119.jpg

Luzaich

How much ice on the river? 

CANOPY SAM

"Snowmobile trails from south shore across the lake to Angle are marked with fresh snow."  HUH????

Just follow the "fresh snow" might be a little misleading. 😆

Bigfatbert
6 hours ago, CANOPY SAM said:

"Snowmobile trails from south shore across the lake to Angle are marked with fresh snow."  HUH????

Just follow the "fresh snow" might be a little misleading. 😆

I would bet it’s a typo . 

Snowmobile trails from south shore across the lake to Angle are marked and with fresh snow . 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Rick
      By Rick
      Let's see your pics!!!

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports - Click Here
      Click Above for 2020 Fishing Reports↑↑↑↑
      2009-2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports below↓↓↓↓
      Go ahead and post your Lake of the Woods fishing reports and conditions in this thread.

More current Fishing Reports - Click the >> link above to the right after the NEXT link.

For 2019 LOTW Fishing Reports - Click here.

Questions welcome too.

Fishing Reports by the TOP Lake of the Woods Fishing Guides, Charter Captains & Resorts are in here - Click Here.

Lot's of good info and our best members posting below already. Newer Reports are on pages that follow.

Be sure to give back and share your fishing reports here as well

Thanks.
    • Raven77
      By Raven77
      Current Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports - Click Here.
      I'm new to this forum and new to Lake Vermilion.  We just purchased a cabin on the west end of the lake and I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can as fast as I can about the lake.
      I have snowmobiles and a portable shack so I can fish almost anywhere there is good ice.  I also have a 16' wheel house that we have used extensively on Lake of the Woods.  Does anyone on the west end of Vermilion plow ice roads to allow access with my wheel house?
      Thanks for any info you can provide!
      Chad
    • Robert James Ferdinandt
      By Robert James Ferdinandt
      Looking for recommendations or feedback from anyone that has used any of the drill adapters with a hand auger like StrikeMaster has vs using a dedicated auger like the pistol bit. I can see there is some weight difference between the two but you can get a set up for half the cost if you are okay with the weight. 

Adapter: https://www.rapala.com/strikemaster/auger-accessories/two-stage-drill-adapter-for-auger-drills-/NDA-3.html?cgid=strikemaster-augerAccessories&taglist=StrikeMaster|Auger Accessories#start=3&cgid=strikemaster-augerAccessories 

• Patrick Bennett
      By Patrick Bennett
      I have a Good condition eskimo Hc40 10 inch auger runs great, I am selling as It is bigger than what I need at the moment. I am asking 300 but i may be able to work a little lower. I live in the west metro area just for reference 
      IMG_4309.HEIC IMG_8141.HEIC IMG_5616.HEIC
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      We're still OPEN & fishing up at the NW Angle!
      Fishing on the Minnesota side continues to be best early morning and from sundown to dusk. Work deeper edges of the break line in the morning and afternoon, moving up to the flats and points for an evening flurry. With low pressure coming for the weekend expect fishing to be excellent.
      On the Ontario side, Crappie action was really good this past weekend in 30+ feet of water. Lots of fish over 14."
      Lake conditions have drastically improved as water making slush has receded below the ice or has frozen over in most areas. Caution should be used in areas of high current or between islands. 
      Hard water fishing ends April 15th!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Areas of slush on trails in Minnesota are refreezing overnight and are still in good condition if well-traveled.  Walleye action is getting better every day, with mornings and late evening being best.  Rippin’ raps and buckshots are enticing violent strikes; 18-22 ft of water is key. Big northern pike are hitting jiggin’ spoons and tip ups with large baits.

Anglers venturing into Canada continue to find schooled Crappies and big walleye deeper into 30+ feet. A slow presentation is most effective for catching crappies. 

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota snowmobile trail conditions are in good shape. The Baudette trail is great north of Knight Island. Walleye action heats up in periods of stable weather. The best catching is happening in 21-25ft, with the most productive method being a dead-stick beside an actively jigged rattle bait such as a buckshot or rippin’ rap. Glow white/pink is out producing other colors. The late ice bite can be phenomenal on Lake of the Woods, ice permitting we will have houses out through the end of the month!

Canadian fishing is recommended via snowmobile as they are light enough not to drop into the slush as easy as other track vehicles. Crappies are still filling buckets and walleye are actively feeding on reef break lines and points. Walleye season is open through April 14th. 

Sunset Lodge

• I_Love_2_Fish
      By I_Love_2_Fish
      This is a pretty cool video - I have to admire Jay's wife to go along on the fishing trip despite being sick and being rewarded by catching a trophy walleye. Also, I've never been in a SnoBear but they look impressive - if we get any more snow here I might need one just to get to work!!

http://huntfishmanitoba.ca/blog/2019/02/11/lake-winnipeg-ice-fishing-snobear-jay-siemens-vlog

Cheers,
      Tony
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• whateverisbiting
      Yes no one including heath and economics experts can predict but like I stated this should be about balance and not about preventing.  If we were in prevention mode, it could drive the world into deep depression.  The desperation could lead to much bigger issues.  Desperate times leads to desperate measures.  Guns and ammo are flying off the shelf at the same rate as toilet paper.  Strange days indeed.   For those that are high risk, the advice does not change for you in any scenario.  You need to stay isolated until this is past us; that has to be frustrating and scary.  By slowing it down, that means staying in isolation longer.   I also feel terrible for the people living paycheck to paycheck now with no paycheck and trying to navigate the overwhelmed government system to get some much needed relief through unemployment checks.   Communities that are resourceful and find ways to operate effectively under social distancing guidelines will be fine.  Those that choose to shut down could face tough economic times ahead.
    • smurfy
      oh man some of them decoy carvers are some real artists. last year at the decoy show in Alex some guy had a ruffed grouse he carved. was that awesome...………….but he wanted 3 grand for it. I think Mike 89 bought it!!!🤣
    • dutchboy II
      Figured you might like that.  🤪  Fact is I like looking at the talent some people have painting these things. I'm always amazed when I go to a Muskie show also. Can't afford them, but like looking at them. 
    • smurfy
      my guess that unless your a member of seal team it would be impossible to get up!!!!!!!
    • smurfy
      nice to see you coming around Dutchy!!!!!!!!😂👍
    • smurfy
      so if this makes any sense, you guys make very valid points, on both sides. for me depends on the wave of the day is.   I believe they just don't know enough about this yet. one part of me says I don't want nothing to do with getting this, the other part, like wanderer says, i"m ok with getting it then moving on. really I or anyone can really control if you get it or not unless you don't leave your house house forever. I have a few of what they could consider underlying conditions, I had heart bypass surgery in 2011, I smoke and I have a very controlled case of diabetes but believe I am healthy enough to withstand this COVID-19 should I get it somehow.   as far as opener, I gave up going opener years ago. I just don't like the zoo at accesses or on the lakes. if I hit an access with no vehicles......i'm in heaven. 
    • Tom Sawyer
      Very excited about burning up the water this year. Fishing fast is an understatement .....   https://www.wired2fish.com/tackle-reviews/abu-garcia-revo-rocket-10-11-casting-reel-review/#slide_1
    • Wanderer
      Government organizations are starting to admit the probability of that scenario.     Like I’ve typed before, I’m concerned but not scared.  I’ve had my training to deal with this situation that “would probably never happen” and took it seriously.  Maybe that’s why I’m calmer than most about the actual virus.  Plus I don’t have underlying conditions that put me at a higher risk.  Things that I have to take care of are planned out and in motion to be as prepared as can be.  I can’t do anything more but manage the load and ride it out.   Not to curse myself but I told my wife last night, if I’m going to get this, I’m ready now.  But I’d prefer to hold off until the predicted peak is over.   @dutchboy II that’s probably considered a nonchalant view to you and some others but I AM looking weeks ahead at potential impacts that don’t involve my personal fishing opener.  I’ve been reading the forum comments and trying not to interject too much but sometimes a guy just has to share some actual experience and straight talk from the past weeks of being submerged in the subject.     I don’t seek information that aligns with my opinions, I let consistent information guide and sometimes change my opinions.
    • dutchboy II
      I don't think the medical community, government agency's or the internet forums know what has, is or will happen with the virus. I think everybody is throwing mud against the wall on best case, worse case scenarios. Best case is a month from now everything is trending back to normal. Worse case people are dropping dead with no end in sight. Are we as humans, not sportsman, willing to risk the worse case just because it may inconvenience our plans for the opener?   I think it's time we give this some serious thought. Way to much non nonchalance in my opinion.  
    • BobT
      On a somewhat related side note, I have experienced fuel issues with biodiesel. Two years ago my Allis-Chalmers 190XT began to give me a lot of trouble. It fluctuated up and down a lot at idle, no power, and just plain horrible performance. I suspected it had to be something with the injector fuel pump and considering its age, 1968 model, this wasn't surprising. I brought my tractor in for repair. After they tested it, they agreed with my fuel pump theory.   When I went to pick it up after it was repaired I asked what the pump re-builder determined to be the problem. The diagnosis was "biofuel damage." I asked what that meant and was told that the fuel pump was damaged from biodiesel fuel. So, I did some digging and learned that with biodiesel there are inherent potential issues along with the benefits. Using biodiesel fuels can result in a net improvement of emissions and can improve cetane levels. On the other hand, bio-diesel fuel has its drawbacks particularly when it comes to storage.   It depends a lot on how it is stored but on average, old school diesel fuel had a shelf life from 1-2 years before it began to break down. With the introduction of today's low sulfur requirements, the shelf life of diesel fuel dropped to about 6-8 months on average depending on storage methods. Biodiesel, however, due to its organic materials, has an average shelf life of 4-6 weeks depending on storage methods. Because a portion of the biodiesel is composed from organic matter, it is subject to bacterial and mold growth and this can be damaging to fuel injector pumps.   Until then I was not aware that I had been using biodiesel so I contacted my supplier to ask if I had been using biodiesel. He sais, "Yes. It has been required by law in MN for the past 10 years." I use about 130-150 gallons of diesel fuel per year in my farming operation so I usually fill my storage tank once each year. My tank is located on the north side of my tree grove so it is not exposed to direct sunlight, which helps improve its shelf life but not enough to avoid issues completely. My supplier now includes an additive in my tank to keep bacterial and mold growth in check.    Most of my neighbors use more fuel and so theirs doesn't sit long enough to become an issue. Same thing for highway vehicles. Just a word of warning. If you have a diesel pickup and you let it set for long periods of time, it might be good to consider protecting it from this issue. Also, since home heating oil sits most of the summer, it wouldn't hurt to think about that as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.