Jump to content
  • GUESTS

    If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

  • Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here


            TURKEY CONTEST "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

        HSO Turkey Contest - Sign-up by April 1st. - Click Here.

        EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please...IF YOU WANT MORE LIKE IT HERE..'

        Have Fun!!!

Recommended Posts

Jasopete

I'm taking my family to Johnson Lake first week of July this summer. I've found little to no info on fishing up there. Anyone help out? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
leech~~

Welcome to the forum.

 

Which one? That's kind of like asking if anyone knows Robert Anderson in Minnesota! 😉

 

Johnson01013100RossburgAitkin

Johnson01023200BennettvilleAitkin

Johnson03019900RochertBecker

Johnson03037401ShorehamBecker

Johnson04033600Red LakeBeltrami

Johnson11002800RemerCass

Johnson11036300BackusCass

Johnson15008600ClearbrookClearwater

Johnson18032800Lake HubertCrow Wing

Johnson21011200AlexandriaDouglas

Johnson31004500StevensonItasca

Johnson31005900Side LakeItasca

Johnson31058600Grand RapidsItasca

Johnson31068700MarcellItasca

Johnson34001200RosendaleKandiyohi

Johnson34044000SveaKandiyohi

Johnson38024200FinlandLake

Johnson56039300DaltonOtter Tail

Johnson56097900CarlisleOtter Tail

Johnson58007400Sturgeon LakePine

Johnson61001000TerracePope

Johnson69011700ElySt. Louis

Johnson69069100Crane LakeSt. Louis

Johnson76009400BensonSwift

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PRO-V

Which Johnson Lake?

  • Yayyyy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jasopete

The Johnson Lake ~30 miles NE of Orr. Next to Little Johnson Lake and Spring Lake. NW of Crane Lake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PRO-V

Leech, you and I were typing at the same time.😀

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bigfatbert
12 hours ago, Jasopete said:

The Johnson Lake ~30 miles NE of Orr. Next to Little Johnson Lake and Spring Lake. NW of Crane Lake.

 

Jasopete ,

This Johnson Lake is somewhat remote and is a somewhat clearer lake making walleye fishing a little on on the tougher side , and by this I mean it’s the early a.m , evening ,cloudy with some chop taking place type of lake  . There was , and still might be a small resort on the lake , and also some camping opportunities for staying there ,not sure which option you have chosen for your family visit there . There is a lengthy gravel road to get to the access , and the  access is about a quarter mile of 4wheeler trail that can handle small boats on smaller trailers . If the resort option is what your doing , I  think they will help get you in and out via this trail . It’s a typical Canadian Shield type lake with a option of a scenic boat ride into Little Johnson thru a winding river that’s a few miles long that connects the two that also has walleye ,but is IMHO a better fishery in the spring , but nonetheless a impressive boat ride for your family to take a boat ride into . Also both Johnson’s have Smallmouth and healthy Northerns . Another option is a connected lake to the north of Johnson called Spring lake which boasts a option of catching a Lake Trout , although I believe more trout get caught there during the ice fishing season than summer ,but they are in there .. This option though may depend on having some high water to get into Spring. . . All in all ,if you haven’t been there it should be a fun time for yourself and your family ..  One more thing , that time of year can also present some Mayfly hatches that can at first help the bite , but also can toughen the bite after awhile.. I have found that using a small ( 1/16th oz ) Pearl White leadhead jig with a very tiny to smaller Shiner minnow can sometimes work magic during these hatch conditions... hope this gives you some insight for your upcoming summer trip to this Johnson lake ... Enjoy !

  • Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jasopete
30 minutes ago, Bigfatbert said:

 

Jasopete ,

This Johnson Lake is somewhat remote and is a somewhat clearer lake making walleye fishing a little on on the tougher side , and by this I mean it’s the early a.m , evening ,cloudy with some chop taking place type of lake  . There was , and still might be a small resort on the lake , and also some camping opportunities for staying there ,not sure which option you have chosen for your family visit there . There is a lengthy gravel road to get to the access , and the  access is about a quarter mile of 4wheeler trail that can handle small boats on smaller trailers . If the resort option is what your doing , I  think they will help get you in and out via this trail . It’s a typical Canadian Shield type lake with a option of a scenic boat ride into Little Johnson thru a winding river that’s a few miles long that connects the two that also has walleye ,but is IMHO a better fishery in the spring , but nonetheless a impressive boat ride for your family to take a boat ride into . Also both Johnson’s have Smallmouth and healthy Northerns . Another option is a connected lake to the north of Johnson called Spring lake which boasts a option of catching a Lake Trout , although I believe more trout get caught there during the ice fishing season than summer ,but they are in there .. This option though may depend on having some high water to get into Spring. . . All in all ,if you haven’t been there it should be a fun time for yourself and your family ..  One more thing , that time of year can also present some Mayfly hatches that can at first help the bite , but also can toughen the bite after awhile.. I have found that using a small ( 1/16th oz ) Pearl White leadhead jig with a very tiny to smaller Shiner minnow can sometimes work magic during these hatch conditions... hope this gives you some insight for your upcoming summer trip to this Johnson lake ... Enjoy !

Thanks for the help! We are staying at Sherricks wilderness resort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
confussed

Johnson lake is a beautiful peaceful lake that your family will enjoy.  Walleyes can be good at times but smallmouth bass are always hungry on Johnson and there are some big ones to be had.  Have fun and good fishing!

  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jasopete

Took my family here first week of July 2019, my 12 year old, his buddy,  and I absolutely killed smallmouth, alot in the 3-5lb range and a few above that. We also did ok on Northern. However absolutely no walleye,  until the night before we left, took my wife out and she actually caught first walleye of the trip, and caught a few more after that. Going back last week in May with a few buddies, any tips on walleye on this lake in late May? I went out early morning and late evening by myself trying every trick , I knew with no luck.  I did see alot of dead mayflies on the water and attributed that to not catching walleye.  Any tips or info on this lake for late May? Anything will be helpful, thank you in advance!

  • I Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ozzie

if you are in the northern part of the state in May you are most likely looking to shallow areas near spawning habitat.  I would probably concentrate on 10' or less pitching jigs and minnows into the shallows and doing a slow retrieval.  Good Luck!

Edited by ozzie
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rick

@Jasopete, welcome to FM. Thanks for sharing last years experience.

 

The guys here are very good guys. Guessing you will get more help yet.

 

Don't be a stranger, stop by often and share your stories, pics, videos or whatever. Have fun.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
delcecchi
20 hours ago, Jasopete said:

Took my family here first week of July 2019, my 12 year old, his buddy,  and I absolutely killed smallmouth, alot in the 3-5lb range and a few above that. We also did ok on Northern. However absolutely no walleye,  until the night before we left, took my wife out and she actually caught first walleye of the trip, and caught a few more after that. Going back last week in May with a few buddies, any tips on walleye on this lake in late May? I went out early morning and late evening by myself trying every trick , I knew with no luck.  I did see alot of dead mayflies on the water and attributed that to not catching walleye.  Any tips or info on this lake for late May? Anything will be helpful, thank you in advance!

Not an east end guy, but don't people fish pike bay in may?   Reread Cliff's and Ace's notes from past years.   Depends somewhat on what "spring" is like this year.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FiftyFifty
On 1/27/2020 at 3:38 PM, Jasopete said:

Took my family here first week of July 2019, my 12 year old, his buddy,  and I absolutely killed smallmouth, alot in the 3-5lb range and a few above that. We also did ok on Northern. However absolutely no walleye,  until the night before we left, took my wife out and she actually caught first walleye of the trip, and caught a few more after that. Going back last week in May with a few buddies, any tips on walleye on this lake in late May? I went out early morning and late evening by myself trying every trick , I knew with no luck.  I did see alot of dead mayflies on the water and attributed that to not catching walleye.  Any tips or info on this lake for late May? Anything will be helpful, thank you in advance!


Glad to hear that your family had a good time. I'm heading to Sherrick's Wilderness Resort in July for a week for the first time and wondered if you could help me out with a couple of questions I have? What are the accommodations like? Is it one big sleeping room or multiple bedrooms? Is the water safe to drink or do we need to haul our own drinking water? Are bedroom and bathroom linens provided? Is there access to your car once you are dropped off? Do I need to upgrade to a bigger motor than the 15 hp? What are the best baits for smallmouth?

 

  • I Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jasopete
On 1/30/2020 at 9:49 AM, FiftyFifty said:


Glad to hear that your family had a good time. I'm heading to Sherrick's Wilderness Resort in July for a week for the first time and wondered if you could help me out with a couple of questions I have? What are the accommodations like? Is it one big sleeping room or multiple bedrooms? Is the water safe to drink or do we need to haul our own drinking water? Are bedroom and bathroom linens provided? Is there access to your car once you are dropped off? Do I need to upgrade to a bigger motor than the 15 hp? What are the best baits for smallmouth?

 

The accommodations are rustic but clean, the mattresses on the beds were fairly new and comfortable. The cabin we stayed in, cabin 5 I believe,  had 3 seperate bedrooms, 1 with 2 single beds, 1 with one set of bunk beds, and one with 2 sets of bunk beds. With seperate room with Kitchen, dining and living room with a pullout couch, 2 bathrooms, 2 refrigerators,  and a chest freezer. No bedroom or bathroom linens are provided, need to bring your own. We brought drinking water, didn't attempt to drink lake water. Yes you can get in your boat and take a 3-5 minute boat trip to the main dock, and walk up the 1/4 mile trail to your car. We went to town one day to pick a few items up 45 minute drive to Orr. We had no problems with the 15hp motor, takes you around lake about 13mph, started on first pull every time.  We had best luck with leaches on 1/8 oz jig head, either under a slip bobber or drift jigging. Didn't have any luck on plastics or hard baits....good baitshop in Orr. Smallmouth were awesome last July, caught alot of trophies. 

  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rick

Welcome to FM @FiftyFifty. Sorry I missed you before.

 

Please let us know how it goes. Join the group here and have more fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FiftyFifty
On 2/12/2020 at 12:54 PM, Jasopete said:

The accommodations are rustic but clean, the mattresses on the beds were fairly new and comfortable. The cabin we stayed in, cabin 5 I believe,  had 3 seperate bedrooms, 1 with 2 single beds, 1 with one set of bunk beds, and one with 2 sets of bunk beds. With seperate room with Kitchen, dining and living room with a pullout couch, 2 bathrooms, 2 refrigerators,  and a chest freezer. No bedroom or bathroom linens are provided, need to bring your own. We brought drinking water, didn't attempt to drink lake water. Yes you can get in your boat and take a 3-5 minute boat trip to the main dock, and walk up the 1/4 mile trail to your car. We went to town one day to pick a few items up 45 minute drive to Orr. We had no problems with the 15hp motor, takes you around lake about 13mph, started on first pull every time.  We had best luck with leaches on 1/8 oz jig head, either under a slip bobber or drift jigging. Didn't have any luck on plastics or hard baits....good baitshop in Orr. Smallmouth were awesome last July, caught alot of trophies. 

 

Jasopete,


Thanks so much for the information!  One more thing I just thought of---is there any cell service in this rather remote location?  I'll be sure to check back in here and let you know how we did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bigfatbert
10 hours ago, FiftyFifty said:

 

Jasopete,


Thanks so much for the information!  One more thing I just thought of---is there any cell service in this rather remote location?  I'll be sure to check back in here and let you know how we did.

 The possibility of cell coverage does exist on Johnson Lake and The nearby surrounding area . Who you have for your cell carrier may make a difference, and just from one area to another area and on the lake also can come into play up there . I personally with AT&T on another very close lake to Johnson have coverage on the north side but don’t on the south side , go figure , I guess it’s always a challenge in remote conditions . . I would personally just contact Sherrick’s Resort and get your answer to that question ..

Also want to stress bottled water only for drinking , do not drink the lake water as the consequence of doing such is not pleasant whatsoever.. Enjoy your adventure up there !

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bigfatbert
On 1/27/2020 at 3:38 PM, Jasopete said:

Took my family here first week of July 2019, my 12 year old, his buddy,  and I absolutely killed smallmouth, alot in the 3-5lb range and a few above that. We also did ok on Northern. However absolutely no walleye,  until the night before we left, took my wife out and she actually caught first walleye of the trip, and caught a few more after that. Going back last week in May with a few buddies, any tips on walleye on this lake in late May? I went out early morning and late evening by myself trying every trick , I knew with no luck.  I did see alot of dead mayflies on the water and attributed that to not catching walleye.  Any tips or info on this lake for late May? Anything will be helpful, thank you in advance!

I’m not sure if you took the boat ride from Johnson into Little Johnson with your family last July, or not ,but springtime especially can be a great time to fish walleyes on Little Johnson . Very cool , and safe boat ride and very easily done on the river that connects the two lakes .. On Little Johnson , IMHO your daytime fishing hours can also be more productive , so not to have to limit to low light conditions  which it seems you experienced on Big Johnson , good luck , would be great to hear back on how it all went for you and your buds !

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jasopete
4 hours ago, Bigfatbert said:

I’m not sure if you took the boat ride from Johnson into Little Johnson with your family last July, or not ,but springtime especially can be a great time to fish walleyes on Little Johnson . Very cool , and safe boat ride and very easily done on the river that connects the two lakes .. On Little Johnson , IMHO your daytime fishing hours can also be more productive , so not to have to limit to low light conditions  which it seems you experienced on Big Johnson , good luck , would be great to hear back on how it all went for you and your buds !

Yes we made one trip into Little Johnson, planned on spending the day up there and had a thunderstorm move in around 3pm, got out of there pretty quick as it was a 45 minute boat ride back. Caught a bunch of Smallies up there but no Walleye.  We will hit Little Johnson harder this May when we go.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jasopete
19 hours ago, FiftyFifty said:

 

Jasopete,


Thanks so much for the information!  One more thing I just thought of---is there any cell service in this rather remote location?  I'll be sure to check back in here and let you know how we did.

I have Verizon and did not have cell service, did pick up service for about 5 minutes in the bay directly west of the resort one day, but could never find the spot again. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
delcecchi
On 2/17/2020 at 3:28 PM, Jasopete said:

I have Verizon and did not have cell service, did pick up service for about 5 minutes in the bay directly west of the resort one day, but could never find the spot again. 

 

From where it is, I would guess ATT if anything.    

https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html

(zoom in and enter zip code for that area.  Cook is 55723 so that's a start.  Looks like ATT has coverage.  Tmobile roams on ATT.   

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chuckziegler

Cell service is spotty but ATT is available several places on the lake.  You can also use the cell phone at the Sherrick's office in an emergency.  Just ask for Steve.  Call 937 244 1900 for any additional questions.

Chuck Ziegler

Owner

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rick

Welcome to FM @chuckziegler.

 

Thank you for the info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Similar Content

    • CaptJohnWis
      By CaptJohnWis
      I heard from a buddy that there will be no fishing allowed on the river this spring. Any truth to that? I think it is a good idea otherwise there will be people coming up in droves as usual. Stay in your house and say some prayers.
       
      I am stuck in my house down here in Texas and hope to eventually get back up North. Canada border closed so I couldn't hit my favorite spots on Rainy Lake anyway.
    • BDR
      By BDR
      Today on West Rush, in a smaller bay. I Stepped on a unseen drain hole or enlarged old fishing hole today. 1 leg went all the way thru. Luckily other leg and i stayed on top. I was traveling where I knew it was only 4-5 feet deep. All ice I drilled was 13-16 inches but soft. Hot shower and clean undies never felt so good. lol.  Be safe everyone!
    • eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      First pic is from April 1 2017 in the kayak. Second pic is April 21 2018 on 18 inches of ice. Same lake. Looks like 2020 will be like 2017. 


    • mrpike1973
      By mrpike1973
    • Decanno1
      By Decanno1
      So me and a buddy of mine are thinking about stocking a gravel pit we own with suckers. Mainly white suckers but we’ll happily go with other species!! My question is this: Do sucker eggs NEED a constant flow of water to hatch? Or will they be fine in a gravel pit or any lake/pond that doesn’t have any flow coming in or out? This will make or break our plans for the pit, thanks in advance!!!
    • mrpike1973
      By mrpike1973
      I checked it on Sunday about 25 feet of ice by landing. If anyone drives by could you let me know when the landing is open. Might go here first if possible sometimes the crappies and sunfish will be in the bay there. I could use some yummy fillets. Thank You!
    • ducksnbucks
      By ducksnbucks
      Hi all, my two girls are clawing at each other and its only been a week...… I need to get them outside. Thinking of driving up and doing some tip up fishing for an afternoon on Sunday or Monday. I have never done pike fishing in the winter on Mille Lacs and am just curious if anyone could give me any pointers? Don't need exact spots, just general areas to start and maybe show them a few pike on flags. Any advice or ideas would be appreciated, thanks! 
    • IceHawk
      By IceHawk
      With the social distancing advise going on right now.  I decided to do some tackle organizing and replace some hooks etc go through some of my gear in my office . Just wanted to give a shout out recomendation on some great products and storage options  I've been using for last few years.  I really like them ! One is the Wraptor, (Canvas craft crankbait holder.}They come in a few different sizes and are very slick. I have a few of there X large  loaded with multiple cranks, and some of the medium,smaller ones packed with jigs ,bottom bouncers, slip sinkers etc. Endless uses for them.  They fold right up and you can put them in storage compartments in your boat and out of the way. Leaving the floor of your boat wide open to walk around and  fish. The other ones I recommend are the Clam storage aka spoon boxes. They come in a few different sizes and are great. Perfect storage for spoons larger jigs etc. I have a few different ones couple loaded with jig raps my lure of choice for eyes in open water👍 What I personally like is these boxes keep everything organized and protected. When I head out eye fishing  I pack a couple in my Fish Trap and secure them in a cargo net. With all the bouncing banging my trap takes behind  my wheeler the hooks are always nice and secure yet when I reach my destination. Just trying to throw a few good products out for anyone looking for some new storage options. 😀




    • Eric b
      By Eric b
      Riffle dam should improve fishing in the near future being the fish can now migrate up stream from the white fish chain on norway lake pine river
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      Ice fishing is still happening on Lake of the Woods.  Some resorts / hotels / outfitters are open and have adjusted their business model to adhere to the new rules with COVID - 19.  Additional cleaning and disinfecting is in place.  Fish house rentals, lodging, ice roads and take out or delivered meals are available by some resorts.  Contact resorts directly or look at their Facebook pages for helpful info.
      On the south end...  Some great March ice fishing continues. Anglers fishing anywhere from 27 - 33' of water.  Ice conditions on LOW remain excellent with freezing temps keeping ice firm.  Some good colors overall, pink / gold, glow, red glow, green glow.  Work lures on jigging line with a live minnow on an ice jig or plain hook on second line.  Electronics a big plus.  Try mixing it up with small lures, swim baits, rattle baits.  Keep baits active for best results.  Pike fishing very good this week with many fish over 40 inches.  Tip ups with big baits on quick strike rigs the norm.  Fish houses can be left overnight on the ice through March 31st, walleye and sauger season is open through April 14th and pike season never closes.  
      On the Rainy River...   As spring approaches, extra caution needed on the river.  Thin ice around the International Bridge in Baudette.  We are watching open water line progress from east to west.  No open water fishing as of yet due to colder temps.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  A good week of ice fishing reports up at the Angle.  A mix of nice walleyes, big jumbo perch and pike in the mix.  Resorts in 20 - 32' of water targeting both structure and mud.  Glow colors, gold and pink effective.  Plain hook on the deadstick.  The snowmobile trails groomed and are still in good shape.  
       


  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

    • eyeguy 54
      Almost did three racks. 😁
    • Mike89
      I like to do at least 2 racks at a time too, both sharing and pigging out!!!   🍻
    • Wanderer
      I’ve cut back on decoy use too.  None when shotgun hunting in woods especially but still use 1 or 2 for bow hunting.  This year on two of my possible sets I plan to put out 3 but not in a group; spread out instead and see how that goes.
    • Rick
      Thanks for the updates guys.   Please keep us posted. The more talk the merrier.   Help keep the spirits up. 🙂
    • Rick
      Thank you out @DP   Please keep us updated.   Thanks again sir.
    • Rick
      Here is a link with respect to outdoor related activities...note the stay close to home directive. - Click Here
    • eyeguy 54
      Made plenty so I can treat the neighbors 😁
    • DP
      The rain we had yesterday took care of the ice overnight, viewed from our shoreline on the west side of lake one, the ice is pretty much gone, can only see a few small patches of ice left out towards the East side
    • Mike89
      that's funny, I have been thinking of ribs too!!!!  now I will really be thinking of them!!!!  just might have to dig them out of the freezer!!!!  I like the dry rub method too!!!
    • Dave S
      The meds that Trump has been touting have been used against this virus with positive results. Having a vaccine to combat it might not be a bad thing, but when the timeline to run clinical trials can take up to 2 years, there's no time to wait. Now is the perfect time to flatten this curve and just start treating the people who have been showing symptoms and at a minimum, treating those who have tested positive. I see a lot of blathering in the media about this administration dragging it's feet when it's quite clear where the problem lies when we look at the current political state of affairs and who pushed for the pork barrel garbage in the $2 Trillion stimulus package.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.