• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

mtheis

The Fishing Must Be Horrible!

Wanderer

I just got back from the Nestor Falls/Sioux Lookout area.  We fished Crow and didn’t need an extension - average of around 20+ inches of ice I’d guess but it varied noticeably.   Some slush but not too bad if you stayed in the main lake.  

What I heard from across the road (LOW), more slush but people were getting around on sleds.  If you drive out on a road, you’re only going to be able to walk a little ways off it to fish.  They didn’t mention extensions but I sure wouldn’t go up there without one packed at least.

LOTS of snow up there and you WILL make some slush when you cut your holes if you’re not already in it when you start.  We were able to pull our houses but it got a little dicey sometimes on Crow.  I’d be more careful on LOW from what it sounded like.

BTW, not to dampen your spirits, but the bite hasn’t been great.  It’s not March up there yet.... Not conditions wise anyway.

Good luck!

• Thumbs Up 2

CANOPY SAM

Now that right there is an honest, very helpful report!  Thanks Wanderer! ;)

• Thumbs Up 4

Wanderer

This weekend’s quote from the same area of LOW: The slush sucks bad.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1

LoonASea
Posted (edited)

Wanderer,,, We are heading up there on the 17th,,, Will i need hip boots or waders to deal with the slush???  We will be traveling by snowmobile and fishing out of portables so that's a plus to stay away from the crowd  

Edited by LoonASea
  • Thumbs Up 1

jstrommen13

Water and slush was non existent on the west side by arnesons out of Dale's road. I'm guessing it's different by each spot you stop at on the lake. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wanderer
17 hours ago, LoonASea said:

Wanderer,,, We are heading up there on the 17th,,, Will i need hip boots or waders to deal with the slush???  We will be traveling by snowmobile and fishing out of portables so that's a plus to stay away from the crowd  

Chest waders maybe...😀

I wasn’t the one there so it’s kinda subjective.  BUT I would plan on wearing boots that are waterproof to maybe the knee.  I had a pair waterproof pac boots on at Crow and stayed dry, except the bottoms of my bibs were wringing wet after day 1.  I made sure to stay out of the slush after that.  The snow was as deep as the knee.

The quote came from the guy I fished Crow with the week before.  He was back up there for crappies and walleyes on LOW.  They left it after day 1 and went elsewhere.  He usually fishes through tough conditions.  I’ll get more details when they get back.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hoey

We fished Fri, Sat, and Sun.  We did not experience any slush, out on sleds and portables.  The cabin neighbor buried his Bearcat while pulling his small hardside off the lake.  He was rescued by a Geo with chains pulling from a road.  After the 10 to 12 inches of snow that fell Saturday, I buried my Widetrack between a couple of cabins.  The snow there was 5 foot deep.  

We could see spots on the ice where the snow pack was water logged and avoided them during travel and fishing.  Conditions of the snow on the ice have and continue to change rapidly.  Warmer temps with more snow are in the forecast for Wed/Thur, looking like 6 to 8 inches...  

On Sunday the trails were a mess.  Ruts from track vans and boomers and the fresh snow made travel by sled tough.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Hoey

Oh and the bite was terrible.  We kept 10 small ones, eyes, saug, and perch.  Sounded like 1 in 50 houses did well.  It was definitely more miss than hit.  

• Sad 3

Wanderer

Bummer!  Glad you didn’t have slush problems though.  Kinda hard to just flat out say it but my opinion of the cost/benefit analysis is stay away for a while.  Too tough for the general quality of fishing in that area right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

LoonASea

Sounds like a LOT of resorts are calling it a season with the mild temps and rain ,,, Seen some pics of ice roads with 8 inches of water on them ,,,,I bailed on our trip for sunday ,,,, Fishing is supposed to be enjoyed not endured 

• Thumbs Up 3

Hoey
On 3/14/2019 at 4:05 PM, LoonASea said:

Sounds like a LOT of resorts are calling it a season

As of Monday, all un-occupied houses need to be off the lake.  The resorts with booked sleepers are OK.  

I fished with the wife, son, and a couple of his Gopher swim team mates Sat, Sun, and Mon. 

The snow has really packed/settled down.  A week ago it was a couple feet deep and very soft.  It is now down to a foot or so with a lot of water and slush on the ice.  Sleds were good to go, but walking around was tough, breaking through at times.  Overall he bite was poor to OK - we were kept busy with no real keeper sized fish.  We kept enough for a dinner and then did better on Monday.  We ended up with about half our limit to take home.  Moving forward we need that snow to melt, the water to either freeze solid or find a way to drain off - then you will be able to travel almost everywhere on wheels.  

BTW - Sunday weather was beautiful, no wind, no clouds, full sun.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Wanderer

Thanks for the report.  I didn’t hear any news from my buddy’s last trip up there so I assumed it was bad.  I texted and asked; yup it was bad.  He’s finally burned out for the ice season after the back to back bad trips and putting his gear away.  

One of his buddies did an 8 man/5 day trip for lakers in another part of Ontario.  8 fish total.

I agree, it can get better before the end though if a couple things work out weather wise.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ten point

Just got back from LOTW fishing for us was slow. But if you put the time in and watch your electronics it can still be good. We're fishing in 32ft lot of small fish just need to keep the hook away from them several good fish still coming thru. A few slot fish up to 26 1/2 inches walleyes 15 to 17 saugers 14 to 16 lot of water under the snow in spots.

• Thumbs Up 1

CLPDB

Ten Point what resort were you out of?  Thinking of going up this weekend.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ten point

Didn't go out of resort was on my own off the edge of gull rock reef

• Thumbs Up 1