• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

evinrudespeed

Lake Superior Ice Conditions Feb 2019

evinrudespeed

As of 2/17 still seeing anglers on the big lake outside of Lester and McQuade. I’m venturing out with a friend (my first time) tomorrow. Any up to date info on ice conditions or fishing tips would be helpful?

Thanks!

Xplorer

Fished off of Lester river/Brighton beach yesterday morning. Was out in 50' of water and had 12" of ice.  There is lots of rough ice near shore to get thru, and out on the lake there are slabs of ice under the surface ice in spots (I drilled one set of holes, read 59' on the vex, dropped down and the spoon only went down 3 feet and stopped.  Looked down and there was another slab of ice down there).

There were folks out a long ways when I left at 11. I'd say they were out to the 150' area. Lots of ice to fish.  No luck for me, had a couple schools of herring go thru but no hits. 

• Haha 1

LoonASea

X,,,,, I was out there yesterday too,,,, Those shards of ice looked like a cemetery,,, And you had to pick your way thru to get out to fishable ice ,,, No fish for us either ,,, Had issues with my marcum to come home and find out my ducer somehow got disconnected ,,, Might try to get back out there but I have snowmobiling on my mind with the trails being so nice 

Xplorer

LAS,

Yea I about tore a knee up on the way out early.  Drove by your place Saturday (test driving a new Tundra😎) and saw the sled in the driveway. Figured you must have been out and about.

Might get a chance to get back out Thursday, but I may be picking up a new ride that day now😉

Jarrid Houston

I miss fishing..  Finally going to back on the ice though as we have trips lines up the next 2 weeks. 

JBMasterAngler

I’m really hoping to make it up there on Saturday. Might try a couple different spots, pending success rate.

artjaco

Looking at the latest images, the lake looks pretty iced over... are there any areas of thin ice / open water to be found? Not looking to fish, need to test some safety gear with a group. Any river mouths open or areas between Duluth and Tettegouche?

Hunternitz

I fished by the Lester area yesterday n today. I was in 75-78’ water. Had one school of coho’s chase my jig all the way to the bottom of the ice. I looked down the hole and was amazed by the fish just swarming around my jig and just nipping the tale. That was my very first time out there. Didn’t catch any, but seeing those fish made it all worth it. At Lester there is an Easier way out there if you go to the south side of the river. It’s an easier trail to follow out onto the lake. There must be some open water just north of there. There was a lot of mallards flying around and landing. ? 

• Thumbs Up 2

fishin4sum

The mallards reside all winter long in an open pool of water at the EPA campus.

BRULEDRIFTER

How's the ice looking on Superior after yesterdays hurricane? 

LoonASea

A half dozen houses out of the Lester/Brighton area ,,, None out off 21st at 8:30 this am ,,, MODIS on friday show a lot of open water east of Silver Bay but the ice hasn't budged around Duluth 

• Thanks 1

wizeguy

Can a one man otter sled be pulled through rough ice near shore?

LoonASea

It sure can ,,,the lighter the sled the easier it will be 

MODIS yesterday sure made it look like the lake could be 96% ice covered 

Edited by LoonASea
  • Thumbs Up 2

climbmda

I am considering trying this for the first time, ever, tomorrow.  Can anyone (DM is fine) give me any essential pointers or advice?

leech~~

Be careful the roads aren't going to be to good in the morning. 😉

JBMasterAngler

Made it out there today. The highway leading into Duluth was murderers row...must have seen at least 10 cars in the ditch. 

Anyway, this was my first outing on north shore ice. And it was a very humbling experience! The wind didn’t do us any favors. Ice was in great shape. I couldn’t believe how strong the current is. I had to drill a hole 3 feet away for my vexilar, so that I could pickup my bait! Fished in 45 to 120 ft. Nothing! Everyone I talked to had same results. 

With that being said, I can’t wait to go back up there next week! 😁

• Thumbs Up 2

JBMasterAngler

Venturing into the great unknown 

250A3639-8358-488A-A320-56F954B79C7D.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 4

leech~~

I hope I can get up there before it's all done, but life seems so full of schedules right now! 😟

jwilli7122

How long are we likely to have fishable ice?

AlwaysFishing23
15 hours ago, jwilli7122 said:

How long are we likely to have fishable ice?

Very hard to say for sure. Looking at the long range forecast there’s no major warmup in sight. Upper 30s but cloudy, as long as we don’t get any strong winds from the West, southwest or northwest we should be alright. For sure a week of “safe” ice after that it’s anyones guess. 

jwilli7122

Cool. Well, my South Dakota fishing trip just got canceled this weekend due to weather so maybe I’ll check it out this Friday and get out of town before the snow comes 

JBMasterAngler

I definitely wish the wind would go away. Sounds like it will be worse this weekend. I’m really hoping to get up there, as it will probably be the last chance this season.

climbmda

So...  Will the wet, heavy snow combined with strong winds put an end to it?  

I was hoping to get out on Sunday, but now I am not so sure.

AlwaysFishing23

If I had to guess I would say it should be alright. The winds tommarow are going to be fairly strong but it’s a north-north east wind. That’s good! The snow shouldn’t be to much of an issue either. Some flooding may happen but I can’t imagine it'll be much if at all.