• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

fish_time

Tips And Tricks To Fishing A Pit Lake (video) For Trout

fish_time

Please join Be Awesome Outdoors on our journey to an abandoned iron ore pit. I will discuss how to find lakes like this and what to look for. Most pit lakes are stocked with trout, and are always an Awesome adventure.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• monstermoose78
      Starting to get pumped up!! I have been working Finn most days and now I need to start working myself up for hunting. 
    • smurfy
      I would think maybe Bigfoot.👍😂   But Yea the hair definitely looks like a deer.
    • TrueNorth
      Stayed on the west side last week.  Perfect weather for most of the week.  Light winds, cool mornings and 70-80 during the day.  Plenty of sunshine - no rain to speak of.     Of the ~20 Walleye we caught, 60% of them were in the 10" to 14" range.  Everything else was 22" to 26".   Trolled plugs but mostly fished spinners slow w/ Crawler and Leeches.    Fished mostly deep reefs all over the main basins.  Kept moving.  Biggest take away was a large scale bug hatch going on (not mayflies) and the largest small perch population I've ever witnessed.  Both of these lit of the electronics with pure clouds... 4-6" perch literally everywhere.  Pretty amazing to be honest.   Every fish was very healthy...stuffed full.  Gonna be fun in a few years.  Also caught several nice Bluegill, Small and Largemouth Bass and a few Pike.  All larger than past years.  1 50" musky stopped by to say high in calm weather middle of the day.     Did make it to the East side a few days with little success but the timing of the day didn't help.  Definitely marked plenty of fish off deep reefs in 16-30 mainly in Big Bag.  No bug hatch there and not near the bait fish population.     If I was there this week, I would fish reefs near deepest water adjacent to defined points.  That's my 2 cents.  
    • jeff_s
      SkunkedAgain, I’m sure my friends with the Incinolet would be happy to show it to you. They’re on Grassy Point. PM me and I’ll hook you up with them. 
    • muskie-mike
      I use 12 lb suffix 832 and find i use 4 ft of line for every foot of depth with a 30 ft mono leader...  
    • Raven77
      The most interesting thing I've seen on the lake is loons flocking up to fly south.  Saw this on Norwegian Bay October 9, 2018.  There had to be at least 200 of them, including some clearly too young to make the trip.
    • Raven77
      I've been having good luck with lead core as well.  I use Suffix 832, with line counter reels.  Each color is 30 feet of line.  As a rule of thumb, every 1 foot of depth requires 5 feet of line, so if you are fishing at 30' FOW you would let out 150' of line, or 5 colors.  Trolling speed affects how deep your crank is running as well (slower is deeper).  I usually run between 2.2 and 2.5 mph.  As a check, you can keep letting out line until your crank starts bumping bottom and then reel up 10' of line.  
    • ozzie
      I hear ya on the difficulties fishing any lobe of Whitefish on the weekends!  Just have to get up and be done before 10am or go back out after 6pm and the lake settles a little.  We trolled "lower" WF on Thursday evening and only caught 1 northern.  Didn't appear to have as thick of a gathering of fish... We went back out on Saturday morning to try our luck on Whitefish for Whitefish and in 2 hours caught 1 3.5lb'er and missed a few bites.  Wow can they be fun to pull out of 50-70 ft of water.  We use jigging raps but wow do whitefish bit lightly but put up a good fight...and there are plenty of them on the big lakes!!!  Good fish on the smoker too!! 
    • Borch
      I sent fish them suspended in the basin areas.  Do get a few any off bottom near weed edges and suspending near flats that drop sharply.  Like Bobt I have had good results trolling cranks over and around weeds.   Also, midlake humps with spinner rigs/crawler or jigging raps can be very good.   Panfish can be awesome.   However I had trouble pinning down many nice ones today.  So even they are not a guarantee.  Maybe I will have a better report soon as I will be up through Thursday evening. 
    • ozzie
      Well we launched there this weekend and the inspector made sure he was off the tar and parked out of the way.  We thanked him and he said "it sure would make things a lot more difficult if someone were parked in the lined off area to pull around in!"  WOW!!!! was nice to have an inspector with common courtesy and common sense!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.