• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have been sledding Pike Bay morning and night most every single day since Thanksgiving. Things have improved a little bit. There is still areas that are pretty bad though. Some of the slush has consumed all the snow and worked it's way to the top and that stuff is setting up nicely now. I think with a good week of this weather pattern that's settling in conditions will only improve. Maybe not perfect but better than 2 weeks ago. I've got -10.6°F right now on the thermometer so we aren't losing any snow or ice here on Big V!

• Thumbs Up 1

Thx for the report. Things were pretty bad when we were there two weeks ago. Wondering what to expect for this weekend. Sounds like it’s a little better, but not much. 

Daisy Bay today was much better today than 2 weeks ago, most of the slush pockets have firmed up.  Still a few around and off trail travel is a little to rough.  The staked trail is in good shape.

Was sledding both on and off the staked trail yesterday.  Was COLD!!!  Happy to report that where we were (W side) most of the slush is frozen and not a problem. Traveled over a few pockets of watery slush, but they were small and easily managed.  Everything else is firm and crusted over. It’s minus 34 as I write this, so expect that any last remaining pockets of slush will be pretty firm  soon enough. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wknd of Feb 9/10 we found no slush on the W end.  Snow on the lake is pretty deep and soft.  The staked trails are in good shape. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

How is the snowpack and slush looking these days? I'm looking to walk into my place on the west end one of these weekends but don't want to make the trek in knee-deep powder or thigh-deep slush!

Some pockets of slush on the east end. Only came upon one spot that covered a large area, most were small spots.  Walking on the lake was not to bad, snow is light and fluffy.  I didn’t see anything that would stop me, but not sure how far of a trek you have.

5 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

How is the snowpack and slush looking these days? I'm looking to walk into my place on the west end one of these weekends but don't want to make the trek in knee-deep powder or thigh-deep slush!

I left up there this morning. I haven't seen the snow so packed down from snowmobiles all the way back towards your place. Should be able to have a fairly easy walk.....however, supposed to get some snow tomorrow and chances over the next few days. Do you walk out from the landing?  If I was in there when u come, I'd give you a lift/tow on my sled.

Yup, I walk from the Landing so about 4.5/5 mile trek. It's not too bad when there are snowmobile tracks.

I appreciate the offer CigarGuy. I may take you up on it some day. As I cruise through my 40s, I'm enjoying the walk and what it does to help keep me in a semi-recognizable shape! My other family members don't enjoyed the shorter walk much better.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

How deep is the snowpack on the lake these days? Is it packed down a bit or hard to walk on?

The snow pack is pretty deep. Hard to say precisely because it’s both hard/crusted and it’s drifted due to all the big winds.  Where it’s drifted, the snow is deep/soft and the sled will go thru a bit.  In between drifts, the snow is crusted over on top and you’ll ride right over.  Never seen the snow cover quite like this before. Almost like a rough moonscape.  We didn’t run into any slush on the west side, but our travels were limited to a couple miles from our cabin. 

• 3 weeks later...

Made the trip up from the cities to retrieve my boat in storage here at the cabin. Got out on the lake tonight for a bit on the snowmobile.  What a mess.  Slush and ponded water everywhere.  Ice depth was 26” on the staked trail and the ice came out in chunks not shavings when using the auger.  It’s definitely getting softer.  We had probably a foot more ice last year at this same time. Gonna be iced out early if this keeps up.  This trip is likely my last time on Lake V for the ice season, unless conditions become drastically colder for a prolonged period. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 1

What a difference a couple of warmer days make.  I had great snowmobile travel conditions on Burntside on Tuesday.

4 hours ago, JerkinLips said:

What a difference a couple of warmer days make.  I had great snowmobile travel conditions on Burntside on Tuesday.

Did you fish?

5 hours ago, chaffmj said:

Did you fish?

Sorry to invade the Vermilion topic, but yes I did fish Burntside Sunday-Wednesday.  Tough fishing but I did catch 5#-1oz, 3#-13oz, and 2#-8oz lakers.

• Thumbs Up 3