• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

cherokee

Some Pretty Greenheads

cherokee

Gotta love the mallards that stick around Minnesota in the wintertime.  They sure are pretty. Check out this youtube video I posted.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

gimruis

Cherokee, there is a pond not far from my house that never freezes during the winter.  I drove past it on Friday and it is COVERED in mallards.  There must be over 1000 ducks sitting in this small pond.  I also saw a ton of geese on a golf course yesterday, as a lot of grass is now becoming exposed, providing a food source.  There must be a sizable population of geese and ducks that don't even migrate anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

cherokee

I believe so.  A lot of the mallards have found bird feeders and it's been a yearly thing with flocks circling and landing in yards.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rick

Do the mallards winter over the entire winter? Any other kind of ducks use it?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Mike89
    • LUCIFER
      Corey Kitzmann of Davenport, Iowa now holds Minnesota’s brand-new state record catch-and-release muskellunge, a 57¼-inch monster caught on Lake Vermilion.   read it in the Duluth news tribune   https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/4731617-Iowa-angler-lands-monster-musky-on-Lake-Vermilion
    • Rick
      Nice report and video showing the action. 
    • Rick
      Nice outing Borch!
    • ozzie
      Got out Saturday and tried for some eyes and didn't find a one...barely graphed a fish in many areas!  We switched it up and went crappie fishing and found a school in deep water and caught enough for a meal.  We were using small jigging raps.  Great bait when trying to stay vertical in deeper water with a slight wind.  Hope to get out another time or 2 but we will see what ma nature has to say about that...Good Luck- Ozzie
    • MRGC
      We are actually in the city of Monticello.  We had to get a building permit for the shooting shelters and MN DNR grant.  As part of the building permit process the city asked us to do some sound testing.  Interestingly, we are quieter then the city standards.The motorcycles and pickups with big tires were quite a bit louder then our shooting tests.  We also added sound deadening material to the ceilings of our shelters.  It helps big time.  Our club has been there since 1946 and predates any housing in the area.  MN ranges are protected when you are in compliance, and we are.  More improvements to come to our range soon.  Great place, great people.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A fantastic week of fall walleye fishing.  Walleyes in good numbers across the south shore of Lake of the Woods.  Most popular depths are 14 - 24'.  Anchoring up with a jig with frozen shiner is the ticket.  Jig colors in gold, pink, glow, orange or a combo of these colors working well.  Strong numbers of walleyes and saugers being caught.  Jumbo perch and pike in the mix.  Walleyes also being caught around Knight and Bridges islands and structure off of Long Point and Rocky Point. On the Rainy River...   Strong reports this past week and weekend of good numbers of walleyes along with some big walleyes taken.  Fish in spots with current breaks from mouth of river to Birchdale.  There is still a strong current and fish are congregating in areas with current breaks, often closer to shore, behind points or holes in river.  7-16' a good start depending upon the spot.  Very good reports this week.  Have jigs up to 1.5 oz if in the main channel, lighter jigs in slack water.  Many personal best walleyes and sturgeon this week. Up at the NW Angle...  Walleyes in traditional fall spots.  Neck down areas, points and mouths of bays continue to hold good fish.  Jigging continues to be the go to method.  Big black crappie and jumbo perch bite happening also.  Traditional fall muskie bite continues strong, lots of fish boated.  
    • Hookmaster
      Anyone ever find one that works? My truck topper light wiring got corroded from the salt spray coming in during the winter.
    • SkunkedAgain
      Fished zero hours this weekend, but did get the dock raised and took care of a bunch of other projects. Snow shovels are out for my next trip! I'm hoping to find open water in November for a final trip, but know that it's not likely!
    • Fish Head
      I had similar experience to everyone else. I found my hook up percentage was a little better with jig and pike suckers then rigs and light northern. Lots of skinned minnows. Even if I give them a long time they wouldn’t have the whole minnow in their mouth. Most fish in 28-30, but did real well in 40' hole also. Lots of husky eaters and a fat 26. not many small fish. It’s been a great fall.