• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Parmer

10 Inches Ice Enough For 8x16 Ice Castle

Parmer

Is 10 inches good to safely bring an 8x16 ice castle fish house out with an atv. 4300#  I am thinking it is, just want reassurance. 

AlwaysFishing23

One of my buddy’s cousins just hauled out his IC 8x17 this past weekend with an ATV. 10” of ice. Personally I wouldn’t yet because of how much money they are but I’m sure you’d be fine. 

Parmer
5 minutes ago, AlwaysFishing23 said:

One of my buddy’s cousins just hauled out his IC 8x17 this past weekend with an ATV. 10” of ice. Personally I wouldn’t yet because of how much money they are but I’m sure you’d be fine. 

I was just thinking since resorts on red were letting people do it on 10 a couple weeks ago it would be good to go. 

AlwaysFishing23

I’m sure your probably ok. But those resorts that let those through are taking a risk as they want those who use there accesses money. Kind of up to you at this point. 

Mike89

I like 12 inches of ice myself..  but your call...

Edited by Mike89
  • Thumbs Up 1

papadarv
1 hour ago, Mike89 said:

I like 12 inches of ice myself..  but your call...

I agree with Mike89, 12”. Also know your lake. Coon had both 8” over a good portion and open water in 2 areas. Forest Lake also with open water on second lake. My 6.5 x 12 doesn’t go out on less than 12 and its under 900#.

• Thumbs Up 1

Parmer

Ya the lake I know well. It's a smaller lake we have a cabin on. I have had a 1/2 ton truck out there on 12 inches in years past. 

Wanderer

You wouldn’t be the first one to do it.

Obviuosly nobody wants to endorse it but you’ll probably be fine if the ice is very consistent and clear.  You’ll probably hear a lot of cracking as you go!

The tell will be if your house area floods out some after your holes are cut.  If not, I wouldn’t worry.  But that’s me and my truck won’t be on the ice until at least 12”. House and truck I like to see 16 but have been on as little as 14.

• Thumbs Up 1

Parmer

Just an atv... No truck

CJH

I think it's borderline.  Do you know it's 10in all the way to your spot?  I was on a small lake in the west metro on Sun with good clear solid ice, and it had around 7 ice shallow, but out in the middle it had 5.  Ice isn't consistent all the way across a lake.

Be safe and good luck!!

• Thumbs Up 2

Jmnhunter

i was on mille lacs last sunday morning, 8" of ice and someone had a 8x16 out there😱  

I would think you'd be safe with 10 and a ATV, but i would favor 12 myself and that would still just be ATV

Edited by Jmnhunter

Parmer

Goin up Friday. Will be drilling just to make sure. It had 7.5 inches last Friday. It's a small 90 acre lake so don't have to go too far. 

Hoey

No ice is safe ice.

The lady at the resort says "look out for the thin ice."  How do you do that?

Maybe make a dry run first to see if there is cracking/creaking of the ice and to find ridges and cracks.  Then pull the house out,  lowered half way down so if you do break through, you are only going down 4 to 6 inches....

Good Luck & Be Safe!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Wanderer

Just for reference, I walked all over a 100 acre lake last weekend that had a consistent 9 inches of clear ice.  I found one spot with about 5 by some cattails.

That ice was cracking like crazy and making me jump constantly.  I can’t recall that much cracking just because I presume it was making ice.  The lake had less than 40% snow cover.  I literally watched the cracks happen underneath me.  Kinda freaky.  But no water came up.

I know it would’ve handled a wheeler easy.  There were some small skid houses already out there.  Coulda probably put a small wheelhouse on it but it wouldn’t have been mine is all I know.

• Thumbs Up 1