• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Rick

Your Favorite Crappie Fishing Lakes In MN

Rick

and Why...

I like Elephant Lake well north of Duluth because the huge unfished schools of crappies with little pressure.

Lake of the Woods because it can by dynamite for huge slabs, especially in Canada north of Flag Island.

French Lake in southern MN, even though it's heavily pressured many miss out on the rare gems because they stick with the crowds and fall to adjust there technique. It's not unusual for a stealthy angler to pull in 12" to 14" crappies. Most do not. It's a challenge.

Another sneaky good spot is Cutfoot Sioux and dont be surprised when the bull gills show up.

Mille Lacs used to be good for some giants  in the SE part of the lake. They're still there but the numbers and average size are down.

For sheer numbers and healthy size, Island Lake, west of Bemidji can be a blast.

What are some of you're favorite crappies fishing lakes in MN.

DoubleLiver

Pelican at Orr can be awesome at the right time.  If the is very little wind sometimes you can find them sharking and catch them a foot under your bobber.  

• Thumbs Up 1

JBMasterAngler

All my favorites are a secret!

Rick
44 minutes ago, JBMasterAngler said:

All my favorites are a secret!

I highly doubt that. You may not want to share your favorite lakes and that's fine. Fear is a funny thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

yoppdk

Portage near Cass can give up some great craps. Same with Leech. It seems lakes that have good Muskie populations also have good crappie populations - probably something to do with habitat.

But with the cyclical nature of crappies, it can be difficult to develop a favorite that doesn’t “crap out” a couple years after being great. So it seems I’m continually in search mode. I guess my favorite is wherever I can catch ‘em.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

monstermoose78

Birch lake by Babbitt, Mississippi River, and Mille Lacs Lake.

• Thumbs Up 1

ZachD

Platte, Anne battle, Osakis, Devils near Brandon 

• Thumbs Up 1

Kettle

Bowstring, not for the size or numbers but the color. Those fish are black and gold/yellow. Most vibrant color crappies I've seen. Guessing it has something to do with water clarity

• Thumbs Up 1

Cyrus83

So many lakes, so little time. I love the iron range lakes. always the chance at finding a school of slabs, and that great black and gold color.

224.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

BobT
On 12/7/2018 at 2:53 PM, Cyrus83 said:

So many lakes, so little time. I love the iron range lakes. always the chance at finding a school of slabs, and that great black and gold color.

224.JPG

Name, lure type, color, time, gps location,....? 😁

• Confused 1

Cyrus83
2 hours ago, BobT said:

Name, lure type, color, time, gps location,....? 😁

Hmmmm, Moore lake, daredevil, black and white, high noon, 

45.075657,-93.244636

😜

• Haha 2

Bucketcastle

@Rick, I had no idea French had some descent crappie hiding out in there.  I was just in the area this morning on circle lake, and got into a good school of perch with two being eater size, but threw them back.

My favorite crappie lake two inlets lake north of park rapids been going there every summer since I was a kid.  Good structure all over the lake.

• Like 1

BIGFISH.JZ

Big Mantrap... Another good musky lake that's loaded with crappies. Special regs do apply here. Its one of my 10 favorite crappie lakes... I forgot the names of the other 9.

• Thumbs Up 1

ozzie

Red is still a spot that will hold a memory of crappie fishing for hopefully my lifetime!  I love to fish the Whitefish chain in Crosslake but the last 3-5 years has been crazy with fisherman in the spring.  Osakis is a good lake too!  I wish I was able to venture around the state more in pursuit of slabs but most weekends I just stick to the WFC in Crosslake.

• l Love It 1

blue gill hunter

Lake Vermillion has always been my favorite for finding big slabs.

• Thanks 1

gimruis

I’m surprised no one has said Lake Minnetonka yet. Ron Schara’s annual crappie contest always yields some enormous crappies in early May. Last year the winner was a 16.5 incher.

• Like 1

Mustangsally

Osakis and Battle

• Thumbs Up 1

bbfenatic

Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall.....Lida w/o a doubt....both N and S.  That 11" minimum to keep has done wonders for the quantity and quality.

• Thumbs Up 1

IceHawk
3 hours ago, bbfenatic said:

Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall.....Lida w/o a doubt....both N and S.  That 11" minimum to keep has done wonders for the quantity and quality.

Totally Agree the 11 inch rule should be state wide. It produces some serious slabs ! Lida is one of the best with Big Pine a close second 

• Thumbs Up 2

gimruis

11 inch or even 10 inch minimum would really increase the size of crappies but way too many meat hunters would be against it.

• Thumbs Up 1

jgrimmz

My favorite crappie lake? I'll let you know when I find one!

AlwaysFishing23

I have a new favorite crappie lake as of last Wednesday! It’s a real hot spot to! To good to even share 😁