• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Snowmobile Recommendations For Ice Fishing And General Use

sparetime

Looking for some help sorting out snowmobiles.  I haven't owned one in almost 20 years, so I know nothing about what is available now.

I'm looking for some recommendations.  I'd like to use it to pull the ice shack around in the winter, let the kids do some ditch riding, and maybe a few trail rides for me.  I don't expect to use it a lot.  Any models you think would work and I should look for on the used market.  Would like to stay under $4,000.  Some initial thoughts are 4 stroke, electric start, reverse and maybe a 2 up? 

Some dumb questions:

Is EFI common on sleds?

Are most 4 stroke? 

See, I just don't know much about them. 

Edited by sparetime

Personally I’d go 2 stroke. Not sure what your looking at as far as Brand. But a Polaris you can’t really go wrong with. I’d stay away from the mid 2000s 550 fan. A lot of issues with those. 4K won’t get you a brand new sled but enough to get you around. Most sleds are still carbs. Unless you jump up to a 12-15k rig it won’t be EFI. The newer Polaris Indy’s are rock solid and there’s really not many bad things to say. You may consider a 2 up machine for trail riding as well a 2 up you get a bit longer track. Fan vs liquid cooled you should consider as well. I like liquids as the out side temp makes zero difference. As long as theres snow or water it’ll cool fine. But for less snow and for ice fishing a fan cooled sled is the way to go imo. 

Edited by AlwaysFishing23

I like 4-stroke myself ... have a 2009 TZ1 that has served me well as a fishing sled and some trail riding. With only general maintenance (Oil changes, greasing, belts) it has run flawlessly over the years. It is EFI and the rear end is convertable from one-up to two-up which is a good thing.

Here is one for example: https://www.snowmobiletrader.com/listing/2008-Arctic-Cat-TZ1-5005223263

Edited by yoppdk

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Like AlwaysFishing23 said if your going to be pulling a house and ice fishing on early or later ice with near to no snow I would go with a Fan cooled.  I have been with a few guys fishing that had liq 2 cycle and 4 cycle and they were having over heating issues on warmer days.   Long tracks are a must for pulling and a two up seat is nice for hauling family and friends with you. Here are my last few sleds. 

Polaris Touring 550 fan and Arctic Cat 570 Panther fan.  They both worked great for what I do with them. Good Luck. 

Other really good work horse sleds are:

Arctic Cat Bearcat, Yamaha VK540, SkiDoo Skandic, Polaris WideTrak LX. 

Picture 112.jpg

IMG_1647.JPG

Edited by leech~~

Good point about cooling. I've run my liquid cooled TZ1 in low-snow conditions and found that if you keep the speed down it doesn't overheat. But I'd prefer the cooling performance of a fan.

My first sled, 440 Fan Panther was great for fishing. I remember passing a few DNR officers on a trail between lakes up on Voyageurs Nat. Their sleds had shut down because of low snow/overheating while my Panther just breezed past them. It surprised me that they didn't have a clue as to why their sleds were overheating. But now that I know more about the DNR, I understand.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks everyone for your input. 

I had to think for a moment about why a fan cooled may be better for pulling a shack around the lake.  Now it makes perfect sense to me, the radiator is under the sled and the snow helps keep everything cool.  Running at low speeds or without much snow, there isn't the cooling effect from the snow evaporating off the radiator.  I wouldn't have thought of that on my own.

Picked up a trailer today.  It should be long enough so that I can drive the wheeler or the snowmobile on and have the sled behind.  Probably can't leave the hitch hooked up, but that's not a big deal. 

For what it's worth, a trailer, snowmobile and nice flip over is roughly $5k depending on your preferences.  Seems a 6x12 drop down can be found for similar money.  Just comes down to what you want. 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, sparetime said:

Thanks everyone for your input. 

I had to think for a moment about why a fan cooled may be better for pulling a shack around the lake.  Now it makes perfect sense to me, the radiator is under the sled and the snow helps keep everything cool.  Running at low speeds or without much snow, there isn't the cooling effect from the snow evaporating off the radiator.  I wouldn't have thought of that on my own.

Picked up a trailer today.  It should be long enough so that I can drive the wheeler or the snowmobile on and have the sled behind.  Probably can't leave the hitch hooked up, but that's not a big deal. 

For what it's worth, a trailer, snowmobile and nice flip over is roughly $5k depending on your preferences.  Seems a 6x12 drop down can be found for similar money.  Just comes down to what you want. 

So, what now your going to wuss out and get a comfy Drop down? ?

The Polaris 550 fans do have a chink the Polaris armour but it’s easily fixed with a $50 oil bleeder kit.  Otherwise you just have to make sure you vary your throttle regularly; no long steady speed runs.

What happens is the oil line runs close to the cylinder on the PTO side of the engine and gets hot.  At a steady speed, with the added heat, an air bubble can form in the line.  Once that happens, the oil pump cavitatates and you lose oil to the cylinders.  Bam, burned up.

The bleeder kit lets the oil flow faster so it can’t vapor lock.  The oil that isn’t needed just flows back to the reservoir.

I tell you this so you don’t pass up a good deal on one if you find it.  Those sleds work just fine with the kit.

3 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

The Polaris 550 fans do have a chink the Polaris armour but it’s easily fixed with a $50 oil bleeder kit.  Otherwise you just have to make sure you vary your throttle regularly; no long steady speed runs.

What happens is the oil line runs close to the cylinder on the PTO side of the engine and gets hot.  At a steady speed, with the added heat, an air bubble can form in the line.  Once that happens, the oil pump cavitatates and you lose oil to the cylinders.  Bam, burned up.

The bleeder kit lets the oil flow faster so it can’t vapor lock.  The oil that isn’t needed just flows back to the reservoir.

I tell you this so you don’t pass up a good deal on one if you find it.  Those sleds work just fine with the kit.

Never heard a thing about that when I had my 550 fan and never had an issue with it?  Was it in a certain year or model?

I may have been one of the lucky ones?

6 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Never heard a thing about that when I had my 550 fan and never had an issue with it?  Was it in a certain year or model?

I may have been one of the lucky ones?

My 2001 RMK was one.  I was cautioned about the issue and did some research on it before I bought mine used from a dealer.  

I presented my research to them when I bought it and told the sales guy I wanted the kit installed.  He denied there was an issue and wouldn’t agree it needed to be done:  I reluctantly took it as is but swung a good deal.

Trail riding I had no problem.  When I went on a Red Lake trip we had a long run and the surface conditions were perfect.  I got lulled into keeping a steady throttle for too long and the engine popped.  I was mad cuz I knew what happened and why.

I took this used sled back to the dealer with all my research and notes and talked to the manager.  Long story short, after a call to Polaris, he agreed to cover most of the repair and the addition of the bleeder kit.

Haven’t had an issue since.

• Thumbs Up 1

Out of the 12-13 sleds I have had over the years I fried 4 of them it suks! 3-SkiDoo's and 1-Arctic Cat. The Cat was my fault for not breaking it in right before hitting it to hard.  Everyone of them was in a prolonged run on a lake or trail and there is nothing worst than hearing that whirl down- lock up sound!  ?  

After a while you get a little gun shy and keep praying the whole time on a ride "please God don't let this motor fry" ?

Such is the nature of the game! ?

No, I'm not going to get a comfy drop down, at least not this year.  I like to be portable and get away from crowds.  That and I can use the trailer and snowmobile for other things. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up with a 2000 Polaris 550 Classic Touring fan cooled.  2,400 miles and the price ($1,500) was right.  Actually, from what I found, if I don't beat it up too bad there isn't really much more downward movement on the price.  If I use it enough, I'll see about getting something newer and 4 stroke, if I don't use it that much it should last for a good long time.

Thanks everyone for the input. 

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, sparetime said:

Ended up with a 2000 Polaris 550 Classic Touring fan cooled.  2,400 miles and the price ($1,500) was right.  Actually, from what I found, if I don't beat it up too bad there isn't really much more downward movement on the price.  If I use it enough, I'll see about getting something newer and 4 stroke, if I don't use it that much it should last for a good long time.

Thanks everyone for the input. 

That's great.  

Are you sure it is a Classic 550 Fan?   I thought the 2000 Sport Touring and Trail Touring were 550 fans and the 2000 Classic Touring was a 500 Liq cooled?  I had a 2000 Sport Touring 550 fan.

But I may be wrong?  ?