• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

8.5" of good black ice outside of McKinley Park Bay.  Lots of ATVs and side-by-sides running around.  I drove my sled from the Park to Stuntz Bay and found good conditions the whole way.  There was even a very small truck on the ice just outside the bay yesterday.  As always, be very cautious on ice travel.

JL,

Thanks for the report...About how long would u estimate that it will be before a 1/2 truck can drive out ??Thanks...I'm going out later to ck ice on local lakes around Cloquet.

Frank

DNR recommends 12-15" of ice for medium pickups.  If we get the colder weather they are predicting for Wednesday-Saturday, I think Vermilion may be close to that by Saturday, December 8.  Snow cover will affect that, and I would definitely check the ice before venturing out.  I personally wouldn't rush it.

Just got back from checking ice, started at the state park and finished at mckinley. Least i found was 5 inches and the most was 9 inches.

JL and Ely,

Thanks for the ice updates...Just got back from ck of local lakes around Cloquet area...Lots of portables out on chub and Long lakes...Some four wheelers also going out...Heard ice was on avg of 7" on Chub....I even noticed a couple of guys walk out on St Louis river right in town, probably not a good idea at this early point!

• Thumbs Up 1

Anybody been out on the west end? Wondering what kinda of ice we can expect in Wakemup and Head of the Lakes this weekend. 

JFitz - I've heard between 5"-8" within 150 yards of shore in Head of the Lakes. Probably less in the middle of the bay. Sounds like there is another large pressure ridge this year. Not sure about Wakemup. Last night and tonight will help. 

Appreciate the info! Sounds like that deeper water is holding some heat. Probably have to keep the snowmobiles off this wknd.

I would highly advise against driving anything other than a sled/atv/utv yet. We just haven't had good cold yet and nothing in the next week either. 2-4 inches of snow cover has the lake on a stand still. Max of 10 inches what I'm finding but have heard as little as 6-7  inches out front yet. 

I was on Frazer Bay last night, 9"s of ice, mighty rough in spots.

I'm ridin a snowmachine.

I would not drive my truck out there, unless you want us to read about the doorknob that went through the ice on Vermillion. LOL

By the By, fishin was nonstop for about an hour just before dark, managed to bring home enough for dinner. 

Most are pretty small 10"s to 12"s, with a smattering of fish to 16"s.

Retirement is great! LOL

Jim

Edited by jim curlee

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:34 PM, Frank Boling 41 said:

JL and Ely,

Thanks for the ice updates...Just got back from ck of local lakes around Cloquet area...Lots of portables out on chub and Long lakes...Some four wheelers also going out...Heard ice was on avg of 7" on Chub....I even noticed a couple of guys walk out on St Louis river right in town, probably not a good idea at this early point!

Frank-

Good update.  I'm in Cloquet; haven't look at any area lakes as of yet.  I was on the Harbor last weekend; 5 inches of ice where I was fishing.