• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

mrpike1973

7 Inch Auger Big Enough For Tip Ups?

mrpike1973

I have a 6 inch hole now thought about getting a 7 inch for some pike tip ups? I don't tip up fish much could I get by with a 6 inch? Most of my fishing is done around central MN, So no huge hogs that I know of😁. I know catfishing with the group most where using 6 inch holes for cats? I think a 8 is to much on a drill in my opinion. A local store has Eskimo hand augers on sale for 35 bucks just don't want to buy and it just sits. Thanks 

AlwaysFishing23

I think 7 inch would be better. Probably could get by with a 6 inch but what happens when you have that hog on and you need to get it landed? Or when you go to release that hog you don’t want to hurt a pike by shoving it through a tiny hole. Also on colder days the 6 inch will freeze faster than the 7 inch. 

BobT

Much easier to turn a large fish up through a larger hole than a smaller one. I have a 10" auger and will never go back to smaller. 

• Thumbs Up 2

iiccee63

Well said Bob. It's not like anyone going to catch a 35# northern through the hole. But, if you have fished awhile, you know that a #5 northern won't be turned up a 6 or 7" hole easily. 10 is the way to go unless you are a panfish only person.

tca12

My bride pulled a 40 inch pike through my 8 inch auger hole on Mille Lacs a couple of years ago and we've had a few 30 inch plus pike come through the same size hole along with my own 40 incher on Red Lake several years ago.  Ten inch is the way to go if you fish pike all the time but so far we've gotten every one that we've been fortunate to hook.

monstermoose78

I cut two 6 inch holes or up to 4 for tip ups

• Thumbs Up 1

Rick G

This fit up, and back down a 6in hole last winter

20181206_074534.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

mrpike1973

WOW! nice fish Rick!! I'm going to do what Monstermoose does I have the K drill so 2  6 inch holes works great enough for there tummy to slide up. I bet that was a fun fish to get up. How long was that eye?

Link

6” is fine for 95% of the pike you will catch. Have landed many high 30” fish through a 6” hole and have never had an issue. This is my hand auger and I use it early ice. You need to be patient and careful to get their heads up the hole but it’s adequate. As stated above if you’re in an area where you will realistically catch 40+” fish drill two holes next to each other. I also have an 8” and 10” auger which makes it easier but 6” works fine.  I use the 8” most of the time and it’s fine.

Edited by Link