• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Resort Prices!!

4 hours ago, AlwaysFishing23 said:

If you were a resort why not charge that much? Ice fishing has become so popular the last few years and those resorts know they can charge more and people will still come. Those prices aren’t that high for these days. Especially a busy area like LOTW.

They can, they do, nothing wrong with it, I suppose.

I can choose not to go through them! They just lost money.

LOTW as a whole, is quite a bit higher than Red, Leech, or Winni.  I havent priced Mille Lacs, Vermillion, Rainy, or others to speak to those.

Some of you guys make it sound like toilet paper should 10 bucks a roll, promise, people would pay it!

Sometimes, I think resorts now a days feel they need to have fancy lodges, entertainment, bells and whistles too draw (for a lack of a better term) wealthy clientele.  This costs the resort plenty I am sure for these improvements. They need to recoup the cost by rising rates. All the while missing out on repeat, consistant, and loyal customers that they have priced out and under served.

The last resort trip I took to LOW was well over 10 years ago.  A group of guys, not a business trip but still that vibe.  We had a good day 1 but lousy day 2 and the driver couldn’t have cared less.

I’m not one that can stay happy sitting and drinking in a box on the lake.  I knew it was my last time going up in a program like that, whether it was on my own dime or not.

LOW is such a famous destination and the limits are more generous.  People will keep booking trips there for a long, long time.  It’s a business/party destination that has coincidentally also offers fishing. The only families I know of that frequent the lake anymore do so by their own means.  Own or rent a place and bring their own equipment.  Otherwise it’s a guys trip where you only have to worry about your own cost of admission.

At least that’s my take on the place.

• Thumbs Up 4

We have done alot of guys trips and try to rent a cabin and go with portables. Only rent a house when it's unreasonably cold. Have taken couples trips but it gets pretty expensive, especially if we rent a fish house.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I have done a few of the resort trips as well and it seemed like a waiting game in the morning for them to bring you out but they were there with a lot of light left to get you off the lake. 

Mostly now I do the motel, sled, porty deal and can come and go as I please.  Up and out before day light and heading back when dark most of the time. 

Plus I have not been in a nice LOW resort ice house yet. Most are a box with a heater, light and a few old folding chairs or wood benches. I really hate the big open drunk traps they have for the ice holes with the pool of water we have had to pull some soggy buddies out of! ?   ?

Edited by leech~~

The alternative to this "price gouging" business of renting a house from a resort can be solved easily.  1) Buy your own deluxe version Ice Castle with all the bells and whistles, 2) Buy a big truck to tow it with, 3) Drive all the way up to LOTW and pull it out there, and 4) use it on your own dime.  If that idea doesn't seem like a reasonable one, then you either pay what they ask you to, or do what I do (don't go).  Good luck fellas, don't forget the beer.

• Thumbs Up 2

You forgot one, gimruis. 5) Drive up pulling a snowmachine and a portie, and DIY.  $50.00 worth of gas, $10.00 worth of minnows.  Done and done.  ?

• Thumbs Up 4

21 minutes ago, CANOPY SAM said:

You forgot one, gimruis. 5) Drive up pulling a snowmachine and a portie, and DIY.  $50.00 worth of gas, $10.00 worth of minnows.  Done and done.  ?

No doubt!

Its way cheaper and easier to just get yerself out there.  Most serious fishing guys can get by on the slim and be just fine.  Taking the family (for most) involves a lot more.  

Plus, even if you have a plush wheelhouse paradise and go with a buddy or two, the costs get split.  I can tell ya from experience, taking the family wheelhouse fishing with all your own gear isn’t exactly cheap.  Dad winds up at the gas pump on Monday by himself with an empty truck and propane tanks.  Picks up odds and ends gear to cover 4 or more fishers and more bait before Friday; maybe even parts to fix what broke or got lost.  Mom gets the fun eats that aren’t normally stocked in the house and off you go.  $200 for a basic, fairly local weekend of ice fishing with the fam.  Do this a couple weekends or more a month.  Can easily run $1,000/month after the cost of ownership of the house is added in.  It sneaks up on you faster than you think!

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't know if any of you guys have noticed or not, but anything recreational is over the top expensive. I just priced out a cabin at a resort in Northern MN where we like to stay to go snowmobiling. They get $900 for 3 nights and the cabin can sleep 4. My wife and I would like to go just the two of us....not happening there! They priced me right out. Not to mention, when on a snowmobile trip, money is being spent all day long with gas, food, drink etc. You can take any activity you want and its expensive. All this being said, its still cheaper than buying my own place, or my own wheel house. I can go and pay the resort for 20 weekends for the cost of a decent wheelhouse and who knows how often I can rent a cabin before one would be paid for. One either has to pay it or you don't get it I guess......dollar doesn't go as far as it used to, for us or resort owners.

• Thumbs Up 1

You could go to the resort 20 times f for the cost of a wheelhouse but after the 20 trips you still wouldn't have a wheelhouse to go on the 21st trip!?  The dollar sure does not get you what it used to!  but the luxury and accommodations aren't what they used to be either...

We used to go through the resorts also.  Gave that up about 10 years ago.  Like others said,  you wait around in the morning and get picked up way to early.  no to mention lack of service.  We do the porty/ATV thing and usually do good.  Still stay at the resorts in summer but have noticed a couple of the places are showing their age.  All that ice gear is hard on cabins and it shows.  

The fishing on LOW has steadily gotten worse.  Once a year a group from the local bar go, we have yet to have good luck at a resort.  Been to many different resorts and places on the lake.  I do my own thing also so this isn't my only trip up there.  Of course the fishing is much busier than it used to be also, we used to call up on a Thursday and were always able to get rooms in warroad unless it was a hockey weekend that's not the case anymore.

If the average person understood opportunity cost, this whole sport would collapse.  To own a boat, fish house, and truck worthy of pulling it far enough to pursue meaningful fish, is insane.  Anyone could sell any single piece of their gear and buy a piece of land and put in their own fish pond and have money left over.  I have a buddy making payments on his ice castle, and he didn't even take it out last year.  

What is your cost per day of enjoyment, whether you own or use a resort service?  How many days a year do you get to do it?  Would a little critical thinking produce more days of enjoyment for a lower cost?  You bet.  Then throw in the fact you don't have to deal with the negative consequences of public waters. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Sounds like your talking about Paradise, Paradice. ?

7 hours ago, Paradice said:

If the average person understood opportunity cost, this whole sport would collapse.  To own a boat, fish house, and truck worthy of pulling it far enough to pursue meaningful fish, is insane.  Anyone could sell any single piece of their gear and buy a piece of land and put in their own fish pond and have money left over.  I have a buddy making payments on his ice castle, and he didn't even take it out last year.  

What is your cost per day of enjoyment, whether you own or use a resort service?  How many days a year do you get to do it?  Would a little critical thinking produce more days of enjoyment for a lower cost?  You bet.  Then throw in the fact you don't have to deal with the negative consequences of public waters. 

From a cost/benefit analysis you’re exactly right!  That’s why our sport is more about anticipation and adventure than a few pounds of fish flesh. ?

• Thumbs Up 3

The economics are pointing towards privatization of outdoor pursuits.  Even owning deer hunting land is getting ridiculous, now more than ever considering what is going on with herd eradication efforts by the DNR.  If you owned 40 acres with no cabin in SE MN and you had $5000/ac into it, your opportunity cost to own it would likely be a cool $10,000-13,000 per year.  And for what?  A trophy buck?  Ok, I can buy that.  But what if the boys at White Buffalo at the behest of the DNR set up next door and shoot the snot out of your neighborhood?  

If you don't love the land and the work of getting ready for deer season, it no longer pencils out to even own hunting land.  Same goes for fishing.  How much longer will people justify owning $100,000+ in outdoor equipment (truck, boat, fish house) to fish ever declining waters, and for a week or two per year? 

Put in a pond and push an aluminum skid house out onto the ice by hand.  Seasons, limits, littering, overharvest, tribal politics, jammed accesses, crowding, mobbing, all go away.  I don't own a pond company or even an excavator, I'm just pointing out the lunacy of this and the impending crash.  

Edited by Paradice
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sheesh Paradice, it ain't all that bad. I will grant you land is expensive and the deer heard isn't in great shape. But in terms of fishing we still have plenty of great opportunities and the costs are what you make of it. Someone on a tighter budget can find plenty of deals on used portable houses, augers, etc.  If someone wants to fish in luxury with stainless steel appliances and a 50" flat screen they will need to spend a pretty penny, but there are alternatives.

• Thumbs Up 3

I agree getanet. You don't have to spend a pile if you take care of what you have. I bought a '93 ProV in '96 for $7500. Still in great shape and runs like a champ. My Otter flipover is 20 years old and works fine. I've occasionally upgraded electronics and ATVs but watch my budget. I have fished a ton and managed to keep it relatively affordable. My wife used to jazz me a bit but I told her she spent more on league bowling and eating out than I did fishing and hunting. And she never came home with fresh steak or fish.?

• Thumbs Up 4

I agree the prices have got out of hand.  Better off freelancing if you can.  Cheaper and better fishing.  More satisfying too.

I get a kick out of the resorts calling the resort operators guides.  Apparently knowing how to operate a bomber or plow truck and be able to line fish houses in a row along a plowed road along the south shore makes you a guide.

Hopefully they tighten up the regs on lotw.  The fishing has certainly tanked from what it was.

Fishing and hunting can still be done on the cheap.  I chose to spend a good chunk of my disposable income to do it right.  I wouldn’t want to know how much I spend.  It’d take some of the fun out of it. To each his own.   

Edited by FowlSki

Just like sporting events... dont go prices will drop.    What kills me tho if the resorts are in a assoc, they will all charge similar pricing even tho 1 resort is a 5 star and 1 is a 1 star.

On 11/26/2018 at 11:18 PM, ZachD said:

Supply and demand

Bingo!  It's their peak season, therefore you pay more.  Most places offer early season/late season/midweek specials.  Or go somewhere else.

On 11/27/2018 at 1:02 AM, Wanderer said:

@ANYFISH2

Maybe a good time to check other places like Devils Lake?  Or, yeah, wheelhouse it.  I don’t remember if you have one but if not, you could probably rent one big enough for the family for less.

Could hire a guide and stay around Vermilion too for less, I would think.

Also correct.  No rule saying you have to go to LOW.  No rule saying the resort owner has to discount for you.

On 11/28/2018 at 7:56 AM, ANYFISH2 said:

I get that, doesn't make it the right thing to do.

They charge what people will pay, nothing more, nothing less.

On 11/28/2018 at 7:36 PM, CANOPY SAM said:

People will pay the cost that's in front of them without even thinking about it.

Some of the nicest Hotels in the country go for markedly less than $300 per night / per person. ;)

Supply and demand?  Yeah, right. ?

Some will pay, some won't.  Define "nice".  ;)  Supply and Demand is real, but you have the right to decide if you want to pay that price or not, that's on you.

On 11/29/2018 at 5:38 PM, ANYFISH2 said:

They can, they do, nothing wrong with it, I suppose.

I can choose not to go through them! They just lost money.

Sometimes, I think resorts now a days feel they need to have fancy lodges, entertainment, bells and whistles too draw (for a lack of a better term) wealthy clientele.  This costs the resort plenty I am sure for these improvements. They need to recoup the cost by rising rates. All the while missing out on repeat, consistant, and loyal customers that they have priced out and under served.

1)  They didn't lose money if they sold out.

2)  Shouldn't there be different options for different people?  Some people want more service/amenities, some don't.  Choice is good.

3)  If you want to go cheap, buy a road pass and plop down your porty not far off of it.

On 12/4/2018 at 6:03 AM, Wanderer said:

From a cost/benefit analysis you’re exactly right!  That’s why our sport is more about anticipation and adventure than a few pounds of fish flesh. ?

Yeah, if you don't view it as a vacation/hobby/excursion, you end up paying per pound gold prices for fish you could have bought at CUB.  I always view it as a fun guys trip.  Bringing fish home is just the souenir.  :)

2 hours ago, CJH said:

Bingo!  It's their peak season, therefore you pay more.  Most places offer early season/late season/midweek specials.  Or go somewhere else.

Also correct.  No rule saying you have to go to LOW.  No rule saying the resort owner has to discount for you.

They charge what people will pay, nothing more, nothing less.

Some will pay, some won't.  Define "nice".  ;)  Supply and Demand is real, but you have the right to decide if you want to pay that price or not, that's on you.

1)  They didn't lose money if they sold out.

2)  Shouldn't there be different options for different people?  Some people want more service/amenities, some don't.  Choice is good.

3)  If you want to go cheap, buy a road pass and plop down your porty not far off of it.

I agree with all of this, I understand.

Now, if I may that guy.  I also dont want to hear the resorts b**** and moan about added wheelhouse pressure or fishermen that wheelhouse or porty not spending enough in the area. Like I have in the past!

Clearly they are making a killing on road passes VS rental houses now a days! Apparently renting a 4 man house for $1000 for 2 days isnt worth putting more houses out vs limiting wheelhouse business.

12 hours ago, ANYFISH2 said:

I agree with all of this, I understand. 

Now, if I may that guy.  I also dont want to hear the resorts b**** and moan about added wheelhouse pressure or fishermen that wheelhouse or porty not spending enough in the area. Like I have in the past!

Clearly they are making a killing on road passes VS rental houses now a days! Apparently renting a 4 man house for $1000 for 2 days isnt worth putting more houses out vs limiting wheelhouse business. 

Beacon Harbor Red lakes limits house ?
No wheel houses but there yearly pass holder

After Christmas no four wheelers or walkers unless you are staying at the small lodge or renting a ice house

• Thumbs Up 1

Try lake road lodge.  They are reasonably priced for LOW and I think they do a great job.

A sleeper might be less expensive

• Thanks 1

I do think it's kind of funny that someone with a couple kids in hockey is complaining about the price of one weekend of fishing......

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, holmsvc said:

I do think it's kind of funny that someone with a couple kids in hockey is complaining about the price of one weekend of fishing......

Really, calling me out like that!

Nothing I would rather do than enjoy my kids passions with them.

A rental for two days costs very slightly less than a year of association hockey,  summer camp, and fall hockey.  Family time the whole way.

Little disappointed in the stereotype!

Yep, I am talking about prices 15 years ago!

You know as well as most, that $300 a day per person, 2 days is difficult. Especially, if you want to take your family.  Not a real good way for these resorts to recruit future costumers, if parents cant afford to bring thier kids

I do not make a lot of money either.  I never said the resort workers or most operators are getting rich. 

All is good, I can and will chose to go someplace at a more resonable cost.  As will others.  Those of you that wish to just pay the ever rising cost, by all means do, no wonder people are in debt to thier teeth.  Consumers do no favors for themselves any more.

Good luck to all you.  Stay safe.

• Thumbs Up 1

There are a lot of costs that go into getting people out fishing.  People now are more picky than they were 15-20 years ago, they want nicer cabins, nicer fish houses, they don't like old beat up equipment.  All that costs money to improve.  There are also the down times in the fall and spring when the resorts are spending money doing all these improvements with no income coming in.  Are the prices high?  Sure but most of them are still full so it can't be too bad. 

Some resorts are cheaper but then again you get what you pay for.  I have had mice running around in cabins and doors and windows that don't seal, cold floors etc.  I would pay the extra money now to get something nicer.  In my eyes, if the resort doesn't care about how their facilities and equipment look, they don't put much effort into fishing either.  That attitude carries across the board.