• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Andre at Moon River

White Sucker Fishing?

Andre at Moon River

Anyone know where’s good white sucker fishing? Any commercial fisherman still out there?

JBMasterAngler

What’s the closest river to your house? That’ll be good sucker fishing! Are you looking to catch them now, or are you just scouting for next spring? Will redhorse be an acceptable substitute?

History_Geek

That brings up a good topic, are there any commercial fishing opportunities in Minnesota. 

delcecchi
3 hours ago, History_Geek said:

That brings up a good topic, are there any commercial fishing opportunities in Minnesota. 

Yes.  

delcecchi
On 11/21/2018 at 6:52 PM, Andre at Moon River said:

Anyone know where’s good white sucker fishing? Any commercial fisherman still out there?

Go to the Pike Bay hatchery on Lake Vermilion in the spring.   The lake association sells the suckers that are caught there for like 10 cents a pound....In the spring while they are running during the walleye spawn.   

http://www.vermilionlakeassociation.org/find-smoker-sucker-sales-begin-next-week/

get up early....  

History_Geek

10 cents a pound, I guess that's better then nothing.

Edited by History_Geek

delcecchi
On 11/25/2018 at 7:19 PM, History_Geek said:

10 cents a pound, I guess that's better then nothing.

It is a fundraiser for the Lake Association.   Suckers are caught in the same nets that the walleye that the hatchery gets eggs and milt from.    Suckers are quite abundant in the lake and it was believed they ate walleye eggs.  I don't know if DNR still thinks that but apparently they are ok with the whole thing since they are the ones catching the suckers and providing them to the lake association.  

PRO-V

They used to do that at Cutfoot years ago until guys got in fistfights on who got how many. I think some of the local farmers were grinding them up for fertilizer.

delcecchi
1 hour ago, PRO-V said:

They used to do that at Cutfoot years ago until guys got in fistfights on who got how many. I think some of the local farmers were grinding them up for fertilizer.

Maybe the quantity limit and nominal charge at Vermilion reduces conflicts.  Or maybe Vermilion people are just more civilized? 😀

• Haha 1