• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

side_laker

Thinking about heading to vermilion tomorrow morning. Does anyone have  any new reports 

• Thumbs Up 1

KeithNyst

SkunkedAgain

Ahhhh! My kind of weather. Sadly I won't be there to enjoy it.

Pat McGraw

Can you all share what sort of areas you tend to target this time of year on vermilion? Deep holes? Sharp breaks? Sand flats? Main basin reefs? Others?

Thanks.

Spearing Machine
11 hours ago, Pat McGraw said:

Can you all share what sort of areas you tend to target this time of year on vermilion? Deep holes? Sharp breaks? Sand flats? Main basin reefs? Others?

Thanks.

To be honest 95% of people fishing Vermilion plop their house down out in front of McKinley park when it's safe in December and pull it off at the end of the year leaving it in the same spot or maybe moving it once by a hundred yards. I've traveled the entire lake by sled in winter checking many areas and the lake is virtually untouched besides a few community type areas with good access and a few folks with houses right off their own shoreline. A few will run around with sleds but that is very FEW. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Bbobber

I would recommend trying fishing saddles and  deep holes during the day with shiners or rainbows.Try  shallow reefs in the evening,

Sushilicious

Low/no light shallow. Mid day fish deep.

Pat McGraw

Thanks for the tips. If you or anyone else thinks of anything more, I'm all ears. FYI I'm on Frazer Bay. Hoping to run-n-gun a bit more from there this year. Thanks again.

FishinCT

I would think any of those reefs from breezy point to the west shore of Frazer that are surrounded by 30+ feet of water would hold walleyes in the winter. Especially if they're almost untouched. One of these days I'll get up in the winter and try it for myself. Would love to hear a report if you try it

• Thumbs Up 1

JerkinLips

Been 4 weeks since I was last up on Vermilion. Now had 29” of ice so we added 10” more over the last 4 weeks. 

Fishing has has been decent for late season, catching 4 eyes yesterday and 8 today. Most were small but did catch a handful of eaters and one 25” pictured. Also caught 4 tulibees and one each of pout, perch, and northern. Rainbows still out catching pike suckers by 2:1 margin. The Y and Fuel and Food were out of rainbows now. 

• Like 1

Ron05

JL - what depth have you been fishing?

We are in Niles Bay across from Oak Narrows and I have not been able to find the walleyes. We have found a good spot in 19-21’ to catch perch. Based on the sidescan from summer I believe it is a flat/mucky bottom. I have been at it for the past two years trying many different types of structure (rocks, submerged points, holes, etc) but with limited luck. Any insights from the thread would be appreciated! Thanks in advance. 

• Thumbs Up 1

JerkinLips

Ron05 - I have been fishing in 28 FOW all winter.  I believe it is a muddy bottom with no significant structure close by.  Some days they bite, other days they don't.  Sunday was one of those "don't" days.  Caught two 10" walleyes, a 11" perch, and a 15" eelpout.

Forgot to attach the photo of the 25" eye I caught Saturday so I attached it now.  Nice looking walleye, but not so much for the angler.

IMG_3602.JPG

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Ron05

Thanks! I’m headed up this weekend so will try a little deeper and let you know how it goes. Nice fish!

• Thanks 1

chaffmj
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:52 PM, JerkinLips said:

Ron05 - I have been fishing in 28 FOW all winter.  I believe it is a muddy bottom with no significant structure close by.  Some days they bite, other days they don't.  Sunday was one of those "don't" days.  Caught two 10" walleyes, a 11" perch, and a 15" eelpout.

Forgot to attach the photo of the 25" eye I caught Saturday so I attached it now.  Nice looking walleye, but not so much for the angler.

IMG_3602.JPG

I don't know Jerkin, I think your better looking than leech and you keep your shirt on!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

BassMaster787

I’m planning on going up this weekend. Any advice on spots or updates on pike or walleye?

side_laker

How is it getting off the road out of McKinley 

Bigfatbert
1 hour ago, side_laker said:

How is it getting off the road out of McKinley 

The only off-roading on the Big V is by snowmobile, and slush is always possible when doing such.. The road and most spurs are fairly good at McKinley. Good luck !

side_laker

Bert 

thanks for the response. Thinking about heading there this weekend with a group. Some of us have snowmobile others don’t some were thinking about just taking a truck out and finding a spot to fish just off a spur where they could get their truck. 

Deet

anyone willing to point me in the right direction for jumbo perch? I'm sure you catch them mixed in with walleyes at many classic spots, but are there known community areas with big roaming schools? Do they swarm into the shallow flat bays this time of year, for example?

Or should a guy hop around deeper soft-bottom areas in the main basins?

Thanks for any tips.

JerkinLips
11 hours ago, Deet said:

anyone willing to point me in the right direction for jumbo perch? I'm sure you catch them mixed in with walleyes at many classic spots, but are there known community areas with big roaming schools? Do they swarm into the shallow flat bays this time of year, for example?

Or should a guy hop around deeper soft-bottom areas in the main basins?

Thanks for any tips.

I have caught only 2 perch this winter so I may not be much help.  However, several years ago I was catching tons of perch on the 20 FOW reef to the west of Spider Island.  Had a hard time catching walleyes on that spot so I quit going there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Deet
12 hours ago, JerkinLips said:

I have caught only 2 perch this winter so I may not be much help.  However, several years ago I was catching tons of perch on the 20 FOW reef to the west of Spider Island.  Had a hard time catching walleyes on that spot so I quit going there.

Thanks for the note! 

JerkinLips

Finally made it to the fish house at 9am after changing cars due to a breakdown then getting the Ranger stuck on a drifted plowed road 200 yards short of making it. Didn’t find any slush on the way out but the water cane up on the ice about 2” when I opened up my old holes. Very tough traveling on the lake even if driving on a plowed road unless it was plowed less than two days ago. Fishing has been fairly slow so far catching just two 11” walleyes. Now I have to try to get the Ranger all the way to the house. 

Salo Island Family

Happy Sunday Everyone.  Thinking of checking the cabin today and curious if anyone knows the condition of the roads coming out of Stuntz Bay?

JerkinLips

SIF I took the snowmobile from Stuntz Bay all the way to Mud Creek last night to clear snow of the roof of my sisters cabin. The plowed road was fine until just after leaving Stuntz Bay. Then it had tons of water on it. Made the mistake of driving through one and it was at least 6” deep. Covered the windshield, hood, and helmet with ice. The plowed road ended close to Ely island. The rest of my ride was okay other than heavy snow and one slush spot by shore. On the way back I took the snowmobile trail on the lake and that was fine except where it crossed the plowed road and was covered with water. Very tough traveling out there except be sled. 

• Thanks 1