• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

bassbouncer

I saw that pic of Brett on Facebook this afternoon. Nice fish

chaffmj

Your a good man for letting your buddy take that fish for you! 😁

Spearing Machine

Sunday evening report: Set up in 27 fow on 10 inches of ice off the West end of Ely island. I  fished from 2:40-5:00 tonight. Caught 4 and missed 2 more on the set line. Tossed everything back, about an 8 , 11, 13 and 15 inch fish. One on set line with plain red hook and chub near bottom and 3 jigging (one on a macho minnow and 2 on a flyer). Had a couple other good marks that didn't commit.

Lots of wheeled/skid houses pulled out this weekend all over Mckinley/big bay area. About 3-4 inches of snow so good for travel with sleds or wheelers.

JFitz

Had some tough fishing this wknd. Me and two buddies fished the west end hard for 2 days and only caught 8 walleyes, 3 were dinks. Didn't mark much and the fish we did see were really lazy. Good news is that we saw quite a few snowmobiles buzzing around and the ice is shaping up pretty well. 

Wicheesehead37

Any update on ice thickness?

Spearing Machine

No change from the weekend. We've barely been able to drop down to 20 for overnight lows this week. Not losing but definitely not gaining.

9-11 inches with a few spots still with a little less. We'll lose a fair amount of the 3 inches of lake snow over the next 2 days. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Spearing Machine

Saturday West-end report: Three of us fished the West end hard for 7 hours this morning starting before sunrise. We were on a run and gun strategy. Basically we struck out. Iced one walleye about 5 inches long, a 5 pound whitefish and a handful of 5-7 inch perch. We tried water from 10ft all the way out to 40ft and numerous types of structure and bottom types. Our high for the day topped out at 45°F and about cut the lake snow pack in half. Travel with sleds was real good just being cautious around a couple of small pressure ridges. Ice richness varied from 7.5-12 inches. We did bump into a few areas with slush or were slush and had refroze. At least the sun was warm!

• Thumbs Up 1

CigarGuy

What part of the west end were you fishing?

Spearing Machine
1 hour ago, CigarGuy said:

What part of the west end were you fishing?

We pretty much covered the water from wakemup East to the oak narrows and North into wolf bay and much of it between. 

CigarGuy

Bummer.  I'm heading up today for a few days, might have to try Richie Bay and part of Spring Bay. Kind of stinks when I have a place on the lake and am thinking of going to Red Lake to catch some walleyes.

AlwaysFishing23

I fished central MN and it was tough to say the least. Had some buddies out on spots they’ve done really well on this year so far. The bite was almost non existent. It was very Similar to last spring, the warm temps and sun shut all the bites down. 

CigarGuy
41 minutes ago, CigarGuy said:

Bummer.  I'm heading up today for a few days, might have to try Richie Bay and part of Spring Bay. Kind of stinks when I have a place on the lake and am thinking of going to Red Lake to catch some walleyes.

Should have said Head O Lakes, not Spring Bay.

Wicheesehead37

Was there any open water in the Oak narrows? 

Spearing Machine
22 minutes ago, Wicheesehead37 said:

Was there any open water in the Oak narrows? 

Sorry can't help you there. We avoided it just for that reason to not deal with it. 

East half of vermilion snowmobile stakes are in. West end supposed to be going in this week or Next weekend. 

BRULEDRIFTER

Fished West end Sat AM, typical result.... NADA!  There is a huge pressure ridge running across Wake'em'up bay, across Center Island all the way into Norwegian Bay.  Also one out in H'O'L bay. Use caution out there!   

Edited by BRULEDRIFTER

Pat McGraw

FYI May have been mentioned before but just in case, there is a ridge running from Gold Island towards Breezy Point in Frazer bay as well.

trumy

Anyone  know if fortune bay has there rental houses on the ice yet.  

Spearing Machine
4 hours ago, trumy said:

Anyone  know if fortune bay has there rental houses on the ice yet.  

Yes they were put out last week outside Everett Bay. 

trumy

Thanks have family coming for holidays they may give them a try not much on using portable houses . After posting question I realized I could have called the bay thanks again for the info

JerkinLips

15” of ice so we added 4” more in the last 12 days. A few cars and full size pickups driving around. 

Fishing had been slow. Started at 10am yesterday and caught just 4 eyes 11-15” and 2 eelpout 15” each. Started off good this morning with this 25” but have only caught a 12” since. Marking lots of fish but can’t get them to bite. 

0575B164-3CC3-4A60-BDEE-06B9A2DD5388.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3

JerkinLips

Tough fishing today. Only added this 22” fat walleye and a 17” eelpout at dark this afternoon. Missed numerous good bites. Better luck tomorrow hopefully. 

5ACECCC3-284A-42F7-90A4-6F8DD0DE8A18.jpeg

Frank Boling 41

JL,

Thanks for more great pics and info!....How much slush is on the lake?...This mild spell we have been in will be gone soon, gradual step down in temps on the way...Also going to turn active as we head into next week...I need to get up there soon.

Frank 

JerkinLips

Rode the snowmobile from McKinley Park to Fortune Bay for lunch today and didn’t find a lick of slush. With cooler temps coming and very little snow on the ice the lake should be great for traveling. 

Fishing picked up today (less vehicle traffic?).  Caught eight 9-15” walleyes this morning (plus a 20”” pout and 15” tulibee) then finally landed a decent 25” fat walleye this afternoon. Cut my thumb bringing her in but it was worth it. 

8D0A40F5-D2A4-4A66-AE32-B8B4F8ECF2C9.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3

leech~~

Nice. I think you just keep photoshoping a different sweat shirt or jacket on the same picture! 😄 

How much snow did you have? Enough to keep the sled cool on the lake run it sounds like?