• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2018-2019 Lake Vermilion Ice Fishing Reports

No change from the weekend. We've barely been able to drop down to 20 for overnight lows this week. Not losing but definitely not gaining.

9-11 inches with a few spots still with a little less. We'll lose a fair amount of the 3 inches of lake snow over the next 2 days. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Saturday West-end report: Three of us fished the West end hard for 7 hours this morning starting before sunrise. We were on a run and gun strategy. Basically we struck out. Iced one walleye about 5 inches long, a 5 pound whitefish and a handful of 5-7 inch perch. We tried water from 10ft all the way out to 40ft and numerous types of structure and bottom types. Our high for the day topped out at 45°F and about cut the lake snow pack in half. Travel with sleds was real good just being cautious around a couple of small pressure ridges. Ice richness varied from 7.5-12 inches. We did bump into a few areas with slush or were slush and had refroze. At least the sun was warm!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CigarGuy said:

What part of the west end were you fishing?

We pretty much covered the water from wakemup East to the oak narrows and North into wolf bay and much of it between. 

Bummer.  I'm heading up today for a few days, might have to try Richie Bay and part of Spring Bay. Kind of stinks when I have a place on the lake and am thinking of going to Red Lake to catch some walleyes.

I fished central MN and it was tough to say the least. Had some buddies out on spots they’ve done really well on this year so far. The bite was almost non existent. It was very Similar to last spring, the warm temps and sun shut all the bites down. 

41 minutes ago, CigarGuy said:

Bummer.  I'm heading up today for a few days, might have to try Richie Bay and part of Spring Bay. Kind of stinks when I have a place on the lake and am thinking of going to Red Lake to catch some walleyes.

Should have said Head O Lakes, not Spring Bay.

22 minutes ago, Wicheesehead37 said:

Was there any open water in the Oak narrows? 

Sorry can't help you there. We avoided it just for that reason to not deal with it. 

East half of vermilion snowmobile stakes are in. West end supposed to be going in this week or Next weekend. 

Fished West end Sat AM, typical result.... NADA!  There is a huge pressure ridge running across Wake'em'up bay, across Center Island all the way into Norwegian Bay.  Also one out in H'O'L bay. Use caution out there!   

Edited by BRULEDRIFTER

FYI May have been mentioned before but just in case, there is a ridge running from Gold Island towards Breezy Point in Frazer bay as well.

4 hours ago, trumy said:

Anyone  know if fortune bay has there rental houses on the ice yet.  

Yes they were put out last week outside Everett Bay. 

Thanks have family coming for holidays they may give them a try not much on using portable houses . After posting question I realized I could have called the bay thanks again for the info

15” of ice so we added 4” more in the last 12 days. A few cars and full size pickups driving around. 

Fishing had been slow. Started at 10am yesterday and caught just 4 eyes 11-15” and 2 eelpout 15” each. Started off good this morning with this 25” but have only caught a 12” since. Marking lots of fish but can’t get them to bite. 

0575B164-3CC3-4A60-BDEE-06B9A2DD5388.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3

Tough fishing today. Only added this 22” fat walleye and a 17” eelpout at dark this afternoon. Missed numerous good bites. Better luck tomorrow hopefully. 

5ACECCC3-284A-42F7-90A4-6F8DD0DE8A18.jpeg

JL,

Thanks for more great pics and info!....How much slush is on the lake?...This mild spell we have been in will be gone soon, gradual step down in temps on the way...Also going to turn active as we head into next week...I need to get up there soon.

Frank 

Rode the snowmobile from McKinley Park to Fortune Bay for lunch today and didn’t find a lick of slush. With cooler temps coming and very little snow on the ice the lake should be great for traveling. 

Fishing picked up today (less vehicle traffic?).  Caught eight 9-15” walleyes this morning (plus a 20”” pout and 15” tulibee) then finally landed a decent 25” fat walleye this afternoon. Cut my thumb bringing her in but it was worth it. 

8D0A40F5-D2A4-4A66-AE32-B8B4F8ECF2C9.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Nice. I think you just keep photoshoping a different sweat shirt or jacket on the same picture! ? 

How much snow did you have? Enough to keep the sled cool on the lake run it sounds like? 

Plenty of snow to lube To the slides on the sleds. Will post a different Moms swearshirt tomorrow to show you they are different walleyes. 

2-3” of snow on Vermilion. A fresh light dusting last night so sled travel is great. Lake trails are all marked.

Good morning fishing with a dozen walleyes 9-17”. Most were very small and used up my pike suckers. Only caught very small eyes on chubs. No luck with pm bite yet but beautiful day on the lake. In a T-shirt in my house without the heater. 

5 hours ago, Fetzy said:

Lost Lake. Thinking of trying something new today. Anybody know aboot Lost Lake just to tje West of Pike Bay?

did you check dnr lakefinder?

Lost Lake Update.

apparently Lost is a dawn and dusk bite. caught 1 Smalleye at noon. Moved to Everetts Bay and set up just outside the gap. caught several smalls and 1 medium. Lots of White Fish tho!

Actually Lost lake is best on a cloudy/windy/wet day.

Atleast that's our experience when were boat fishin.

What area of the lake did you fish? PM if you want?

Make sure you lock your stuff securely at the landing.

A couple years ago, we came back to the landing to find our brand new Engle bait bucket, and half a South Switch pizza stolen out of the truck.

Lost used to be a great little lake, no body ever fished there, the last few years we've been lucky just to find a place to park.

Too many fisherman on a 1000 acre lake, doesn't take long to ruin the fishin.

Jim

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

Keep posting Grin n Grab pics an giving up yer spots for mini internet high is going to bring out the curious, the meat hunters, the lazy fishers & party peeps more n more.

It’s helpful n fun to exchange info n techniques n junk but the price you pay is turning out to show.

Facetard n sites like that thar are best to share personal fishen n hunting stuff. 

Public forums not so much these days IF yer lookin for less peeps n company.

Ok in some ways creepy bad in others.  To each their own ya knows it’s said.

?????????

I find it odd people still rob trucks n cars at launches, steal packages off front porches, just do stupid things for so little gain as everyone I know carries a gun.

An has special jar full o change for bail money!!  ???

Everyone!

Fish on. Enjoy these boards for wha they but remember it’s not six people reading / viewing it’s more like 600.

I do enjoy J L. Pics n humor very much. He gets it.

Merry Christmas & Keep on Rocken!

T

D810BE1A-A8E5-47EC-8C5D-9D10D205B21D.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

Tommy!!...Great words of wisdom!...I stand with you on every word you posted..Good to hear from you,and like you say "Keep On Rocken"...Also Merry Christmas and Happy Holliday's

Frank

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

• The title was changed to 2018-2019 Lake Vermilion Ice Fishing Reports