• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2018-2019 Lake Vermilion Ice Fishing Reports

2020 Lake Vermilion Ice Fishing Reports - Click Here

2018-2019 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports are below ↓↓↓↓

Lake Vermilion/Big Bay is frozen over and somebody was fishing in a portable out of McKinley Park today, so the season has officially begun.  Not sure if I will make it up next weekend after 12 days of deer hunting.  Be very careful if you go out.IMG_1822.JPG.d5283563f89ef6bab84ce6f44c4c069f.JPG

Pike bay has 5.75-7 inches. This past Wednesday there was 2 parties off mckinley park but not out over big bay (that froze up late) I think after the next few days of cooler temps it'll be in decent shape to walk at least out here. 2 guys were out in the mouth of everett bay to main lake with 1 atv track. Found about 5 inches off from cable bay. Most of the snow is now gone off the ice. Bring your cleats it's slick!

I was excited to hear that the snow cover left the lake over Thanksgiving. Hopefully the freezing temps will build up a solid base of ice before snow hits.

Will be going out Thursday afternoon with max safety (walking, life jacket, ice picks, loose boots, long rope to portable) so I hope to report then.  I assume with the snow getting knocked down and the recent cold temperatures there should be decent ice in Big Bay for walking/portable.

Buddy was out off McKinley Sunday and a full 6” of clear good ice. There will be people driving soon. I’ll take my snowmobile with the otter sled Sunday 

If it is safe ice walking out Thursday I may pull my 150# permanent out with my sled on Friday.  At least into McKinley Park bay.

Caught 10 walleyes yesterday. All were 12-15” except for one 9”. Also caught a 16” eelpout at dark. Missed a bunch of other bites including losing 2 nice eyes at the hole. Rainbows were outcatching pike suckers by about 2:1.  Bite was very good at 10-12 and also at 3. No bites today in 1.5 hours fished. 

Lots of traffic on the lake but very few permanents going up yet. I think that will changed later today. 

Yes JL.You are a true master fisherman!...Thanks for always providing great pics and info!

Frank

Thanks for the compliments but I'm not much of a fisherman.  Just spend a lot of time doing it.  And staying in one spot for the day.  Many others come fishing by me during the day and leave within an hour or two; I assume because they didn't catch a bunch of fish.  I fish the entire day and catch a fish or two most hours, and read newspapers and check my cell phone in between bites.

• Thumbs Up 3

What depth are you catching  fish at. Thinking of coming up fishing on the weekend  haven't ice fished the big v much any info  much appreciated 

18 hours ago, trumy said:

What depth are you catching  fish at. Thinking of coming up fishing on the weekend  haven't ice fished the big v much any info  much appreciated 

I was fishing in 28FOW, 8-12" off the bottom.  Although I was marking some fish suspended, and caught a decent walleye after raising my minnow up a couple of feet once.  Another time I dropped it on the bottom and slowly raised it up and caught a walleye immediately.  Guess I have to work a little harder at fishing rather than just letting the bobber do the work.

LB - Beautiful fish.  Good to see you got into some larger walleyes.  Hope I start getting them this weekend.

Thanks for the info. I'm  used to fishing lakes like whiteface and never fish deeper than 17to 18 feet or less. The deeper depths like your talking is out of the normal for me I'll need to get a good map of vermillion that shows depth and structure and do some exploring that's half the fun thanks again JL and I look forward to reading future posts from you

Edited by trumy
  • Thumbs Up 1

I was out in 26' of water this afternoon, marked fish but no bites.   The ice was cracking like crazy ... making ice.  When I came off the ice and started the truck, the temp read -2.    Already down to -6 at the house now.

Sunday evening report: Set up in 27 fow on 10 inches of ice off the West end of Ely island. I  fished from 2:40-5:00 tonight. Caught 4 and missed 2 more on the set line. Tossed everything back, about an 8 , 11, 13 and 15 inch fish. One on set line with plain red hook and chub near bottom and 3 jigging (one on a macho minnow and 2 on a flyer). Had a couple other good marks that didn't commit.

Lots of wheeled/skid houses pulled out this weekend all over Mckinley/big bay area. About 3-4 inches of snow so good for travel with sleds or wheelers.

Had some tough fishing this wknd. Me and two buddies fished the west end hard for 2 days and only caught 8 walleyes, 3 were dinks. Didn't mark much and the fish we did see were really lazy. Good news is that we saw quite a few snowmobiles buzzing around and the ice is shaping up pretty well. 

• The title was changed to 2018-2019 Lake Vermilion Ice Fishing Reports