• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

PSU

So sad to hear about the fire yesterday. Appears they are considering rebuilding and I am hopeful they are better than ever in the future!

• Thumbs Up 3

Raven77

Drove by there this morning.  Definitely a sad deal for owners, employees and people in the community.  I also feel for the deer hunters who lost the deer there being processed.  We are hopeful that they will rebuild.

• Thumbs Up 1

SkunkedAgain

Jim Zupancich, who works out of the flagship store in Ely, said the Zup’s in Cook has been in business for more than 20 years. He added: “We do OK there. It’s a living. We’ll get back on our feet.”

Jim didn't give much of an endorsement but I understand the economics. One of the early articles had the store manager saying that they would rebuild. A later article quoted one of the Zupancich's saying that they would assess the possibility of rebuilding. I think that we all hope that they will rebuild, and hopefully they had good insurance to make it an easy choice.

• Thanks 1

Wanderer

Sounds like cost/benefit analysis is underway...

bassbouncer

Everything I’ve ever heard is that it’s their best store...

Wakemup

Just an absolute bummer for the family and the community too.

Maybe the only silver lining (aside from no one getting hurt obviously) is that I heard from a friend that the deer meat they had for people is all saved because it was in a different freezer. But still- a big heartbreak and hoping they can recover quickly.

Darrell Larson

According to the local newspaper Zup's will be rebuilding the store in Cook, "Zup's in Cook to be replaced by larger more modern building and SOON" they hope to have open by May of 2019.  And that's all I have to say about that.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

FishinCT

I can't be the only one that thinks this whole thing is a little suspicious?

trumy

What are you trying to say? 

Raven77

"I can't be the only one that thinks this whole thing is a little suspicious?"

I can't be the only one that thinks your comment was a total cheap shot lacking any credibility.

• Thumbs Up 3

Wanderer

If it was their most productive store and it was insured, why wouldn’t you rebuild a new and improved place?

Stuff happens.  Fires get investigated.  Claims are settled after making years and years of premium payments.

Seems like a sound business decision.

• Thumbs Up 1

SkunkedAgain

Good for them.

None of us (that I know of) are fire investigators or work for Zup's insurance company, so I'll leave it to those folks to do their jobs. I'm happy that the community will get an important pillar back and that employees won't be permanently out of work.

• Thumbs Up 2

delcecchi

It certainly seems plausible to me that some piece of equipment in the back of the store overheated and started a fire.   And I am happy to hear that they will be rebuilding.   

delcecchi
9 hours ago, Darrell Larson said:

According to the local newspaper Zup's will be rebuilding the store in Cook, "Zup's in Cook to be replaced by larger more modern building and SOON" they hope to have open by May of 2019.  And that's all I have to say about that.

Cook News Herald?  Timberjay?  

(update)  Nothing on timberjay site.  Must have been Gary Albertson...😀

Edited by delcecchi

FishinCT

Grocery stores burn down from time to time, but 3 in the area in 15 years? Each spaced 7-8 years apart? The cause was never determined in the last zups fire, and I can't find a cause for the IGA one.

Any common employees in those stores?

delcecchi
1 minute ago, FishinCT said:

Grocery stores burn down from time to time, but 3 in the area in 15 years? Each spaced 7-8 years apart? The cause was never determined in the last zups fire, and I can't find a cause for the IGA one.

Any common employees in those stores?

3 in 15 years?    Clarks was in 2003.      What is the third one?   But, fires happen.  All it takes is an electrical malfunction, or a cigarette butt in the wrong place.   

Harv

Babbitt

Darrell Larson
14 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Cook News Herald?  Timberjay?  

(update)  Nothing on timberjay site.  Must have been Gary Albertson...😀

Tower News dated 23 November,  Cook News Herald was read by me this morning at Waschke Chevrolet, Timberjay, I don't read.

Harv

Ah... what?

FishinCT
34 minutes ago, Harv said:

Ah... what?

You must be new 😂

I don't know Tommy, I've heard of a lot stranger things than serial arson. I guess the stranger thing would be having it out for grocery stores ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• l Love It 1

SkunkedAgain

We can't even solve the "Less Filling vs Tastes Great" or West basin walleyes vs East basin walleye debates. I don't think that we will get to the bottom of this Unsolved Mystery online either!

delcecchi
4 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

We can't even solve the "Less Filling vs Tastes Great" or West basin walleyes vs East basin walleye debates. I don't think that we will get to the bottom of this Unsolved Mystery online either!

West basin walleye?   Talking abooot mythical creatures....     Regardless of politics, Timberjay has actual stuff to read in it.  I just sort of flip by the editorial page.   The ongoing sagas of Greenwood Township and the Tower Harbor are pretty entertaining and almost worth the price of subscription all by themselves, now that the 2142 school stuff seems to have settled down.    

• Thumbs Up 1

Raven77

I like to think people are good.  Of course that's not always true.  But jumping to arson is a little over the top for this Minnesota boy.  Maybe that kind of stuff happens more in Colorado.

Bigfatbert

All the Zups stores up this way are great , the family is respected . To all the arson theory people , let’s hope you never have a accidental fire because what goes around comes around ,and you just might be the accused arson next . Shame on you !! Do you really think one would burn down their own business ,these things get thoroughly investigated . . Oh I’m sure it’s happened before, “but really” probably not the best odds of getting away with it . Accidental fires do happen , and that’s what insurance is all about .. I’m sure this is a major headache for the owners , and employees as well .I hope the rebuild goes well , and all there hard working employees are back to work soon.... 

• Thumbs Up 2