• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

17 hours ago, PSU said:

Have there been any updates to prospective future plans? Also, have they been working to clear the site, or perhaps it's too cold?

Thanks for any insights!

The last I heard, they are planning on rebuilding the store and shooting to have it open by fishing opener 2019.  We'll see if that happens or not.  I'm sure the red tape with the insurance companies is a mile long, so getting to the point or rebuilding could take some time. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Still waiting for the fire marshal to determine cause. They are working on a plan but can’t knock it down until the fire marshal lets them

I also heard that some bureaucrat has to say whether they can use the existing slab or need to make  a new one.  Don't know whether that is true or not.  

8 hours ago, delcecchi said:

I also heard that some bureaucrat has to say whether they can use the existing slab or need to make  a new one.  Don't know whether that is true or not.  

I would want it checked if it were mine.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’ve also heard it will be a precast concrete building. Newspaper said it will be bigger than it was so will need some new concrete slab

22 hours ago, bassbouncer said:

I’ve also heard it will be a precast concrete building. Newspaper said it will be bigger than it was so will need some new concrete slab

Bigger and better, that is great.   

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ya know.... these days a lot of construction projects have cameras on them so people can watch the progress...

hint, hint... ??

3 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Ya know.... these days a lot of construction projects have cameras on them so people can watch the progress...

hint, hint... ??

Any links? I looked, couldn't find anything.

1 hour ago, bassbouncer said:

Front wall is all that’s left

211BC86F-A792-4C38-A768-5BF84C3C9A5A.jpeg

That's getting it done!! What are the odds of it being open by the fishing opener?  I believe that is the target date.

Now it sounds like they’re shooting for October. Won’t be possible by fishing opener 

• Wow, ❤ 1

That would be a lot of work to get done in three months, assuming that they can even get a GC to line up all of the subs. October sounds more realistic. Looks like I'll have to find other ways to support the local businesses in town. I might have to send Mrs. SkunkedAgain and Miss SkunkedAgain to the girl store a few times with a wad of cash.

On 2/19/2019 at 3:07 PM, SkunkedAgain said:

That would be a lot of work to get done in three months, assuming that they can even get a GC to line up all of the subs. October sounds more realistic. Looks like I'll have to find other ways to support the local businesses in town. I might have to send Mrs. SkunkedAgain and Miss SkunkedAgain to the girl store a few times with a wad of cash.

Send them to the auto value...lol that’s the one that my wife and I own. 

Edited by bassbouncer
  • Yayyyy 1
  • l Love It 1

Mesabi Daily reported yesterday 24 Feb 2019 that Cook was granted funds for Zup's rebuild, IRRRB approved a 

$350,000 grant to the City for development infrastructure related to the rebuild. The money will be spent on on-site water and waste water upgrades, and overall site-work. Construction is expected to begin by March or April. 

That's the latest news, it appears the credit for the article was supplied by KBJR.COM. 

This winter up here has been brutal this year not complaining just making a statement. We built a new house 12 years ago, 2x4 roof truss and 2x6 walls never really worried about snow weight prior to this year but after inspecting depth of compacted snow we decided to remove the weight. I realize the house is an inanimate object but when we  were done is was like the house gave a big sigh of relief!! Come on spring, enough of this BS. Good day to you all.

• 1 month later...

Bummer, would have been nice to see if they could get up and running before the end of fishing season.....Anyone ever been in the grocery store on 53 in Virginia, across 53 from the Holiday Station at the intersection? Guess that's where we will have to stop on our way up...…..

Hey there PSU ! The store your referring to is a Super One . Groceries,  deli , booze , one stop shopping ..  I do agree the reopening of Zups would be great , sooner the better .

Yes, thanks Big, I couldn't remember the name. Probably will be a decent option!

I’m really sad about the whole thing not only for the owners but all the good people on the west end of the lake that really depend on that store specifically.  Not to mention during our stay at the cabin for 5 weeks  (west end) we will have to travel all the way to Virginia for every food shopping trip.  I can’t imagine how much business they will lose during those peak summer weeks.  I’m hoping it’s done somehow some way shortly after 4th of July / but realize that’s probably wishful thinking at this point.