• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Surface Tension

Ready or not, here it comes.

Long lake in Twig froze over last night.  Low tonight of 8 degrees.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

redneckdan

First ice rescue of the season in St Louis County this afternoon.

Im off to dry gear and find a hot chocolate...

20181110_144906.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

BRULEDRIFTER

Whoa! What happened? Where? 

Jim Almquist

From the Duluth News Tribune:

The St. Louis County Sheriff's Office and Rescue Squad saved a man and dog after they became stuck on the ice at Sand Lake on Saturday.

According to a news release from the Sheriff's Office, a dog wandered out onto the ice and broke through. The owner fell through himself in about 3 feet of water after he tried to rescue his dog but fell through himself in about 3 feet of water. He then returned back to shore. Another neighbor then used a canoe to go out onto the ice and pulled the dog into the canoe where he became stranded with the dog. A St. Louis County Rescue Squad member, using a dry suit, walked the boat out to the canoe and retrieved the neighbor and dog and brought them to shore. No one required any medical attention. The St. Louis County Sheriff's Office strongly discourages going out on the ice when it is so thin. The St. Louis County Rescue Squad, Pike Sandy Fire and First Responders, Virginia Fire and Ambulance all assisted in the call.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1

Wanderer

Good job @redneckdan

seymore

Any word on Boulder lake? Has anyone been out or checked on ice conditions on the lake?

Thanks!

Harv

I'm willing to bet this thread will be checked quite often!!

• Thumbs Up 1

monstermoose78

Please share what ya find

Getanet

Didn't venture out myself, but saw 3-4 people ice fishing on Alimagnet Lake that borders Burnsville and Apple Valley on Sunday.  I thought they were nuts, but nobody was swimming.

opsirc

Anyone been out on fish, stand or Nichols?

redneckdan

Checked some early season spots around the eveleth area. Still pretty sketchy. You could get 'onto the ice' at the access but not very far out. One of my favorite early season spots went from 6" to less than an inch without warning.

• Sad 1

DLD24

And that's why spud bars are awesome, that's scary.

• Thumbs Up 1

redneckdan
10 hours ago, DLD24 said:

And that's why spud bars are awesome, that's scary.

Super scary. I had my suit and vest on and my radio with me, still your butt hole puckers when the spud goes *thunk* *thunk* *sploosh*

I did a loop before dark this afternoon. The rain & warm weather took care of the snow cover, everything is exposed slush now. The cold snap tonight and cold weather this week will stiffen things right up, as long as we dont more snow...

Edited by redneckdan

Harv

Anyone brave enough to check the harbor off of park point yet?

I fish, therefore I lie

brave enough? Or Foolish enough? I cross the Blatnik Bridge every morning on my way in and there's not a snowball's chance of any safe ice until we get sub zero, no wind, and no boats. No fish is worth the life of any rescuer sent out to save someone too dumb to stay off the ice. Relax, the inland lakes will firm up soon enough. It's still only November.

• Thumbs Up 2

eyeguy 54

no comment

AlwaysFishing23

If you'd cheak the webcams you’d see a few chunks of ice floating around. If that’s safe enough for you go ahead. But if it’s not wait until January or so. 

Harv

Hahaha. Was just curious if there was any ice that started 2 be made.  I'm sure after the rain last weekend if there was anything it's gone now.

FowlSki

My first day on the ice was the weekend before thanksgiving.  I suppose that makes me a fool to some...solid 4 inches. Most of the lakes around Duluth are safe for walking now, with the right early ice equipment and safety precautions of course.  The typical lakes that freeze later are not there yet.

Ive fished the harbor in November in years past.  If we didn’t have the big winds during the cold snaps and that big warm up I think it would have been doable this year.  

Most of the area guys fish was capped over this morning but probably not thick enough yet.  I bet in a week and a half it should be getting there if the weather forecast holds.   

The guys bashing the guys who fish early ice every year crack me up.  The people who go through early are the guys not following the proper early ice safety procedures.   Be smart and have fun.  

• Thumbs Up 2

evinrudespeed

I’m planning on Boulder or Fish Lk this weekend. High Banks said 6-7 inches of ice. Obviously early season so be cautious with inconsistent thicknesses! I’ll keep you posted.

seymore

I had some friends fish out on Fish Lake, Rice Lake, and Boulder yesterday. By the public access on Fish lake and Rice lake, there were 6" - 7" of ice. Boulder was a little less with around 5" - 6"

I'm thinking with this cold snap, I'm hoping for 9" by the middle to end of next week, and we will start to see hard shelters staying out there! 😁

• l Love It 1

FowlSki

Couple houses out on the harbor this morning. Both didn’t go out far.  I got a good chuckle when I saw that after the posts in this thread on Monday.  I guess sometimes snowballs do have a chance.

Edited by FowlSki
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Harv
18 hours ago, FowlSki said:

Couple houses out on the harbor this morning. Both didn’t go out far.  I got a good chuckle when I saw that after the posts in this thread on Monday.  I guess sometimes snowballs do have a chance.

😉 Good for them

Edited by Harv

redneckdan

Ice rescue in progress in duluth harbor.

• Thumbs Up 1