• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good Luck This Weekend!!

monstermoose78

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Good luck to all the gun hunters !! I will be up in Cook County, MN for a week.

Thanks moose, enjoy deer camp yourself.

Preparations/packing already in process.  Hope to get up the land early Friday and get camp all set.  Goal 1.  get the kids thier first deer.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ANYFISH2 said:

Thanks moose, enjoy deer camp yourself.

Preparations/packing already in process.  Hope to get up the land early Friday and get camp all set.  Goal 1.  get the kids thier first deer.

Good getting the kids some deer and I hope it goes as planned.

• Thanks 1

Best of luck to you both!  Getting a kid their first deer is usually a better felling than getting one yourself.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • l Love It 1

18 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Best of luck to you both!  Getting a kid their first deer is usually a better felling than getting one yourself.

I take you are done eh wanderer 

1 hour ago, monstermoose78 said:

I take you are done eh wanderer 

I’ll be coasting a bit, that’s for sure.  The kids will probably cap off the freezers in the next couple weeks anyway.  If they don’t,  I might take out the smoke pole and make use of that management tag I bought.

• l Love It 1

19 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Good luck to all the gun hunters !! I will be up in Cook County, MN for a week.

No deer here..

• I Like it 1

17 hours ago, Wanderer said:

I’ll be coasting a bit, that’s for sure.  The kids will probably cap off the freezers in the next couple weeks anyway.  If they don’t,  I might take out the smoke pole and make use of that management tag I bought.

So, your saying I may have the road to myself this year!  ?

• Yayyyy 2

35 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

So, your saying I may have the road to myself this year!  ?

I might roll through there once or twice just to annoy you.  

• Yayyyy 1

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

I might roll through there once or twice just to annoy you.  

Go figure! ?  

• Yayyyy 1

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

Might want to check out your buck... is that so bad? ??

Good luck Leech

Not at all. Just keep the motor noise and spinning wheels to a minimum.  Please!   ?

Thanks.

No deer yet seen by my group of 5. I seen a snowshoe rabbit and red squirrel. How is it going for everyone else?

Lots of deer seen Friday night!

i think we have 8 gun deer hunters in camp and I just heard one of them got a spike.

i just settled in for a short evening now sit.

Had a good morning on the water though so my day is complete.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • I Like it 1

Pretty quiet by us today, not nearly the shooting of a normal opener.

We managed two small yearling does.  Kids are still of'er, Isaac did get to put a doe in scope, only a butt so no shot.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 2

Love those deer pics!  

No more deer were harmed by our group today.  They’re seeing deer but waiting for bucks and a little bit better ones.  Hunters Choice and everyone wants to fill their own tag with what they want at this point.

No bow sit for me today.  The duck hunt took just a little longer to fill out, then we got some rain.

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thumbs Up 4

Pictures make me think I should get back into the woods this time of year! Nice to see families sharing the experience!

• Thumbs Up 2

Lake Superior was angry this morning . I can hear the waves crashing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

8 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Lake Superior was angry this morning . I can hear the waves crashing.

Still have the cabin by the power station?

Our camp of 3 saw 3 does and I shot a 6 point yesterday morning. Not much shooting up north in our area. Friends within 4 miles of me got a 6, 8 and a 9. Nothing seen today.

• Thumbs Up 1

Our weekend ended with 2 small does taken.  A total of 4 does, 1 spike buck, and an unknown sex seen for the weekend.  

Very quiet in our neck of the woods.  I was very proud of how hard my son Isaac(12) hunted.  He was on stand for all, but 6 hrs, in 3 days.  My daughter(14), who not a morning person, hunted but didn't see anything all three afternoons.  

Unfortunately, I believe our season is over now as the hockey season starts this weekend, with games both days.  

Good luck to all, the rest of the season.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 2

Relatively quiet opener where we hunt in 157. A fair amount of shooting in the area on Saturday morning but tapered off in the afternoon and Sunday was very quiet.  I saw two flags, my dad saw one, but nobody in our group of 7 has fired a shot.

• Wow, ❤ 1

I was hunting in Northern MN west of Bemidji. (210).

Saturday--Saw a good sized buck with a small rack saturday; wanted to take him, but he didn't give me the right shot.  (he just wagged his bum at me and wouldn't turned even a quartering view much less broadside...)

Took son out for his first time observing in the stand--We saw a spike (that was probably barely legal).  He was a beauty but not the right one to harvest.  He was 20 yds from me and unbothered/unfazed by grunting...   Son is now pumped to take gun safety next year and be ready to join the ranks next year!

I harvested a nice buck Sunday morning that was just having a gentle stroll down the path (I think he may have been the same nice buck with smaller rack from the day prior...--he'll be tasty and make a savoury stir-fry!)

(...and the family back at the house on Sat/Sun were observing lots of disinterested little sorority groups of baldies walking through and eating the plants without a seeming care for anything going on...)

My two cents:  None of the deer I obseved were behaving in the stereotypical "rut" like manner.   They were just sauntering care-free and seemingly oblivious...   I think we're still pre-rut...  Next weekend could get better (...or just colder and wetter, based on the forecasts.  Happy hunting, all.)

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, jbell1981 said:

Seen quite a few deer near Warroad but none taken by us. Most were tails or no shot opportunities. 

Well good that you saw some up on your new land.  Are you guys done for the year? 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

Well good that you saw some up on your new land.  Are you guys done for the year? 

No, we'll spend another 4-6 days in the woods. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1