• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trapping Beginner

Jessab Pierce

I am looking to start a line this year since I travel 50 miles o e way for work. Looking for any advice and tips. I have some state land I would like to set on. Mostly mink and rats I believe are my targets. Thanks in advance 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

Be careful on public land traps tend to disappear. Don’t set the traps in the open and make another path to check your traps. With duck season going on use traps that will not hold dogs. I like setting banks with mink attractor or 220’s set in rat runs. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• fishingstar
      I have two Labs that are 7 years a part. it took them less then a month to get a long. Now they are best buds.
    • SkunkedAgain
      ...and that was the worst team that they will play all season. It's a rough road ahead.
    • delcecchi
      Interesting.   Have to give the narrows more respect in the future...
    • delcecchi
      Ah the old un-named bay trick...  Got an end?   
    • pwencel
      We have 4 AKC GSP puppies left for sale that are ready for their new homes. Pedigrees Available. Great family dogs and hunting dogs. Born on 8/2/21. Call or text me for pictures or if you have any questions!.  320 808 4541
    • monstermoose78
      Finn is going to be 6 in October. Thanks the pup will be fun
    • maryjames9939
      someone provide me good information on vintage seiko watch..
    • smurfy
      👍i'll bet he is. how old is Finn??? when i brought my new lab home, my 13 year old sheltie was not a fan!!!!! with the energy that young pup had, the sheltie did a lot of hiding!!!!!🤣 its getting better!!!!!   have fun with the new pup!!!!!!!!!
    • monstermoose78
      Tomorrow is the day Hazel comes home!! I am super excited to have a second lab in the house. Finn is in for a surprise with puppy around. 
    • mtheis
      I just got back from staying up at Vermilion for a week, and I made a few notes:   The water temp was consistent at 66 degrees Monday through Saturday.  The weather was crazy wet or wildly windy, and I found my biggest walleyes (15-17's) were caught in my standard spots Monday through Wednesday.  Then a switch turned off, and I had to relocate and find new spots as my previous ones were dead for the rest of the week.  Never seen anything like that before.  After the lake calmed, and skies turned blue, I could only catch the 9-14 inchers.  The biggest I saved for fish fries, and I even scrapped up a limit to take home.   I used lead core, and I fished in water depths ranging from 20-25 ft.  I saw alot of HUGE balls of bait and tried to keep slightly above them.  I tried many different colors, and silver out produced everything and I couldn't buy a fish on my favorite color, fire tiger.  The lake appears to be less dirty this year for me.  With invasive species this may become the norm.    I found a bay that was absolutely stacked with fish.  I spent two days there, and no one was around to compete with me.  I loved it.  But it was too small for me to let out enough lead core so I tied a three way with a line counter reel and a 2 oz sinker with a 6ft leader.  That worked really well.  It came to me again, you do not need to invest in a lot of pricey equipment to get your lures down deep.  Those fish were again in 20-25 ft of water.  I hope this helps someone!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.