• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Troy Smutka

9/24/18     Hunted a shallow, public lake on opening day with my Dad and two friends. Hunted the same lake on Sunday with my Dad and my son Parker, on his first duck hunt at age 6. Saturday the four of us hunted from two boats. Beautiful morning. Unfortunately, most of the hunters within earshot of us started shooting well before shooting time--some fourteen minutes early. Shame on those people. We passed up on teal, shovelers, and wood ducks in the decoys before shooting time, as the law and ethics demand. We saw a lot of ducks, were buzzed and burned by many, and managed to harvest three wood ducks, two ringnecks, a shoveler, and a greenwing teal. Sunday three generations of Smutkas had teal buzzing through the decoys all morning. Lots of excitement for 6 year old Parker. We harvested four bluewings and two greenwings. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

IMG_3434.JPG

IMG_3420.JPG

IMG_3440.JPG

IMG_3444.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2
Troy Smutka

10/1/18     Got out with my Dad and son Parker one day this weekend. Cloudy, cool, breezy, and hazy. Saw quite a few ducks, but had a tough time getting many into shooting range. The cold snap chased out a lot of the ducks around for opening weekend, but didn't bring in as many new ducks as I would have expected. We managed one mallard, one shoveler, and one bluewing teal. Parker is hooked, and wants to hunt every weekend. Episode of Fishing and Hunting the North Country about our opening weekend hunt is on my You Tube channel now. Hope the forecast for next weekend dries up some. Too much haze and rain, and too many east winds already for the new duck season. Pictures of Parker include a TOY shotgun. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

IMG_3497.JPG

IMG_3512.JPG

• Thumbs Up 3
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Those pics of Parker are classic. Especially the duck call.

• 3 weeks later...
Troy Smutka

10/21/18     I have hunted in the Hutchinson area the last two weekends with my Dad, son, and some friends. Dakota ducks are trickling through central MN as the calendar migration has begun. With strong NW blows before or during the past two weekends, we have harvested mallards, gadwalls, redheads, bluebills, canvasbacks, and ringnecks, as well as a couple of geese hunting from a boat blind on some shallow lakes. This calendar migration should continue over the next couple weeks whenever we can get a strong NW or West wind. It will take some more cold and frozen water in Canada to get the big Canadian birds to come down--hopefully that happens before Thanksgiving. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

IMG_3533.JPG

IMG_3547.JPG

IMG_3590.JPG

IMG_3599.JPG

IMG_3628.JPG

IMG_E0084.JPG

IMG_3638.JPG

IMG_E3642.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Troy Smutka

11/11/18     Winter rolled in early last week. Lots of ducks blew through central MN during the week with the small water freezing up. We got in a good hunt on a large, shallow central MN lake as the migration was happening. Many of the larger lakes in central MN froze up with the single digit lows Saturday morning. We broke some ice at the landing of a large, deep lake and boated through some ice to get out to the otherwise open lake to hunt a main lake point. My son, Dad, and I managed five ducks, though we mostly saw swans, common mergansers, goldeneyes, and buffleheads. My son wanted one nice drake bufflehead, so we took that as our fifth duck. Not sure if any water is going to be open after another night in single digits this upcoming week, but we will check it out this weekend. If not, we will be onto field hunting as a lot of mallards and geese hang out on a river in the area we hunt. Good luck, be safe, stay warm, and I will see you out there somewhere.

IMG_3700.JPG

IMG_3742.JPG

IMG_3743.JPG

IMG_3690.JPG

Edited by Troy Smutka
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Troy Smutka

11/25/18     All water frozen in central MN except rivers, so we field hunted one day to finish up our waterfowl season. Only one goose, but mallards were dropping in all morning. Hunted a harvested cornfield from layout blinds with eight dozen goose decoys, a dozen and a half mallards decoys, and six spinning wing mallard decoys. Birds were roosting on a river running through town about two miles away. First time shooting mallards in a field for my son, Parker, so he had a blast watching them drop right on top of us. Will be switching over to ice fishing now, and will be reporting in the Fishing Reports Clubs. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

IMG_3765.JPG

IMG_3771.JPG

IMG_3762.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• STEVE01
      By STEVE01
      I was drawn for the 2021 bear lottery but can't hunt this year due to a medical procedure. Do I lose my preference points for next year, or does it stay the same or do I get another point?
    • SkunkedAgain
      By SkunkedAgain
      Scouting through the woods I found a very old and definitely abandoned deer stand. They are everywhere. I usually like to poke around the old ones to see what might have been left behind. I found this old coffee can with wire woven into the bottom. I've never been a hunter but am assuming that this was a home-made "stove" for keeping warm on a cold fall day. However, I'm far from an expert so I leave it to the internet. 

What is this?

• Tim L
      By Tim L
      box of winchester 350 Legend 150 grain
      extreme point
      $35
    • gimruis
      By gimruis
      Who's ready to turkey hunt?  Season A starts in less than a month.

I think I'm going to go during season B this year to avoid the initial wave of hunting pressure.  I went during season A last year and there was noticeably more hunting pressure in the area.  I think it was because of the pandemic and people were kinda cooped up, plus it was the first year they lifted the lottery.
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      I have boxes of 40 cal HST rounds 50 per box and I am trying to figure out what I should charge from them?
    • gimruis
      By gimruis
      Not sure if anyone else saw this but the statewide pheasant report was released by the DNR yesterday and its up 42% statewide.  Its the highest numbers in over a decade.  A mostly mild winter and a dry spring likely accounted for lower mortality and a good hatch.  There will be no shortage of birds...or hunters.

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/recreation/hunting/pheasant/prospect_map.pdf
    • 2adrsuess
      By 2adrsuess
      Anyone care to share how their season went? This was my first season waterfowl hunting in southern Minnesota, and so far I'm eating license and stamp soup! I started out jump shooting along river beds, and then picked up a dozen mallard decoys and went out on the Mississippi with my canoe. Saw a lot of birds early in the season, but they got few and far between pretty quick. I've been geese hunting public fields as well with two dozen silhouettes, but the geese seem to have moved south as well. Maybe this storm tonight will bring in some fresh birds. I'm telling myself I made all my mistakes this season, and I'll give them hell next year
    • Brandon Smith
      By Brandon Smith
      Where are people taking hides these days? I haven't seen hides for habitat dropoffs this year.
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      Good luck every this weekend!!
    • ANYFISH2
      By ANYFISH2
      It appears the US Fish and Wildlife Service is in the press of removing the Grey Wolf from the Endangered and Threatened lists.  After waiting period they will be delisted on January 4th 2021.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      Itasca county sunfish for supper.
    • Wanderer
      It’s a pretty good bass. 👍
    • Kettle
      Welcome Neiljack!
    • Neiljack
      I think 3500 lbs is too much.  Trailer your boat and head to a large open parking lot to practice accelerating, coming to a complete stop, making turns, and backing up. So if you are perfect in it then you should trailer it yourself otherwise there are some hauling company for boat. The more you practice handling your vehicle with your boat in tow, the more comfortable you will feel on the open road.
    • Neiljack
      Hello guys, sorry if i place my intro at wrong place because navigation was tough for me.
    • EyeWannabee
      Short arms make em look like 4# instead of 2 and 3# 😂
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Some good walleye fishing this week.  As many summer weeks, it was helpful to be versatile.  On the big lake, sometimes you have to play the wind, meaning, you have to be flexible where you fish.   The fish were there and some great catches this week.  Most fishing in 25-33 feet.  Some are still jigging.  Frozen shiners and leeches were both good this week.  With water temps in the mid to upper 60's, leeches and crawlers will heat up.   Spinners (otherwise called harnesses) with minnows, leeches or crawlers were all effective this week.  It is good to mix up colors and bait until you find the right mix.  Gold, glow, pink, orange, chartreuse or a combo of them are good colors in stained water.  More and more anglers trolling crankbaits with success.  Some have been trolling cranks since the opener but it seems most anglers wait till the water warms.  A great method to cover water and find cooperative fish.   On the Rainy River...   Some good summer fishing reports from the river.  Walleyes being caught jigging, pulling spinners and trolling crankbaits.  Current breaks and holes holding most fish.   Smallmouth bass in rocky areas, current breaks, bridge embankments and weed edges.  Lots of bass in the river.  Crankbaits, spinnerbaits and tube jigs are good lures to start with.   Pike are adjacent to weedlines, in slack water areas and in bays.  Working shorelines whether trolling or casting will normally produce nice fish. Sturgeon anglers, mark your calendars, sturgeon season opens again July 1st.   Up at the NW Angle...  Walleye fishing continues to be strong up at the Angle.  Fish coming from literally 5-33' of water.  Not every walleye is keying on the same food sources.  With structure, rocks, and mud, lots of variety at the Angle.  Jigging, spinners and cranks all producing.  Muskie season opens Saturday, June 19th.  Lots of nice fish already caught unintentionally as these predators like to eat.  Muskie anglers were forced to fish MN waters last year with the border closure were happily surprised with the size and quantity of fish on the MN side.  This year should be good. Pike hanging out in weedy bays.  Smallmouth relating to rocky points and reefs. With the Canada border still closed, there are many ways to get up to the Angle.   1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.      
    • PSU
      Does anyone have someone to recommend for mowing paths/lawn on an island (Frazer\Smarts Bay)?   I only have a DR Brush Mower system I am using right now (been through 2 old hand me down mowers (I'd love to get rid off, one is a John Deere).   Thanks for any insight   Andy 
    • Jaroberts28
      I wonder why the DNR still list Atlantic salmon??
    • SkunkedAgain
      Wow - that bass in the top pick is almost as big as you   😏

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.