• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Wanderer

2019 Duck Geese Goose Waterfowl Opener (2018 Too)

Wanderer

Hoping to keep it up this weekend but those lows in the mid-teens make me shiver a little just thinking about it!

In a boat I wouldn’t give it a second thought but paddling gets stuff wet, including my hands.  Will probably rely more on lines this weekend than loose blocks.  I’d like to have the room of a boat though for that.

Give and take.  Still learning this late season stuff but I’m really enjoying it.  Anyone else still chasing the birds?

Edited by Wanderer

MJ1657

If some new birds show up I'm hoping to Saturday and Sunday morning.

We have about 250 geese regularly coming to the farm and our duck pond. They have seen and heard everything and are not interested. 

Wanderer
3 hours ago, MJ1657 said:

They have seen and heard everything and are not interested. 

Good chance there will be a few new birds in this weekend - I think anyway.

Do the feeder flocks start small?  If they do, try just 2-4 of your best dekes out alone in a part of a field they haven’t pounded yet.  Sit back, don’t call, and see what happens.

I learned a lot the evening I hunted alone in ND and let birds pass my spread without shooting.  It was going to be a landing gear down shoot or nothing.  I finally pass shoot two big Canadians when the feed was already well on and it was obvious they didn’t want a spread.

4 birds became 40 which became 400 which became 4000 in maybe 30 minutes.  It was pretty epic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wanderer

Checked some spots last night in the 11 degree temps.  No good!  Once the wind laid down the water started skimming over.  I saw more ice with snow on it than water in ducky spots through central MN.

Yes, BIG water might still be play but I’m not planning on paddling anything this weekend unless I find a surprise somewhere or get offered a ride in a bigger boat than what I have.

Might have to settle for deer this weekend.

Sigh.... 😔

monstermoose78

Find a little river or stream 

Wanderer
1 minute ago, monstermoose78 said:

Find a little river or stream 

I’ll be keeping my eyes open and checking hidey holes.  I’m just not planning for or expecting anything.  At least not like last weekend.

• Like 1

CANOPY SAM

Geese, ducks and swans have been POURING out of Canada over the last 3-5 days!!!  There's a BUNCH headed toward you boys down south!  Our water is freezing up solid in the north.  They won't stay here long.  They rarely ever do. :(

• Like 1

knoppers

big lake had about a thousand geese on it today, the most I have ever seen out there. also seen massive flocks of mallards coming off the corn fields flying into big lake.

• Like 1

MJ1657

We went from 250 geese to about 2000 at the farm this week. They we're almost all gone by yesterday. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow 1

monstermoose78

Wow

Wanderer

Da last birds are a headin’ out.  Bummer.

There are still some around and they’re awesome late season beauties but the finding and getting to them can be tough right now, that’s for sure.

I passed on an offer to go out this weekend; the group got a little big for my preference.  They did OK.

Still haven’t hung up the shotgun yet...

Wanderer

A friend from western MN sent me a shot from last night.  The big Canadians are around.  Man, they’re hardy!

BEA22C2B-9C89-4C51-AE9B-7D73BCCB9EC7.thumb.jpeg.de4bc8e64092793803afad0e32a5f896.jpeg

• Like 1

gimruis

Honestly, I think there are a number of geese that don't even migrate south anymore.  They just live in the river which is open all year round.

Wanderer
5 hours ago, gimruis said:

Honestly, I think there are a number of geese that don't even migrate south anymore.  They just live in the river which is open all year round.

Agreed, there always seems to be some geese over wintering.  I continue to see geese flying around and roosted in open rivers.  Swans too.  Had a pair circle me tonight while I was ice fishing.  It’s getting to be an ordinary thing - seeing swans in the winter.

• Like 1

Rick

2019...Ducks, Geese, Waterfowl Opener.... what ya planning and who's gonna get their goose? 

Wanderer

Still working on the goose this year.  I haven’t had as much opportunity as I hoped.  I’ve heard some have done really well in the area but they’re also the ones who’ve done their homework and have good fields to hunt.

Duck Opener for me should be the Baudette area.  Never seriously hunted up there but we have a place to stay and a duck toon to use so why not?

• Like 1

gimruis

I plan to go on the opener.  With all the rain this year, I am thinking there will be no shortage of water.  I hope its not 85 degrees out.  About 60 and cloudy would be pretty ideal.  Wouldn't bother me if I didn't harvest a goose because then I don't have to eat it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow 1

Kettle

This will be my second year not waterfowl hunting in Minnesota. Some of it is due to being too busy with school and some has to do with the pressure of hunting we have in MN. I'll save this year to go to Alberta or Saskatchewan next year.

• Wow 1
  • Like 1

monstermoose78

Being part of my brothers wedding on Saturday and then slaying ducks Sunday 

• Like 1

MJ1657

We got a couple one morning. Need some crops to come off for the goose hunting to pick up at home. We're still a couple weeks away from making corn silage. We're usually done by the end of August or so.

20190902_081741.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Wanderer

Anyone else planning buck the weather and get out this weekend?  I’m leaning on it.  It won’t be pleasant but I’m hoping there will be more birds to make me forget about being wet.

• Thumbs Up 1

monstermoose78
3 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Anyone else planning buck the weather and get out this weekend?  I’m leaning on it.  It won’t be pleasant but I’m hoping there will be more birds to make me forget about being wet.

I am Saturday morning 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wanderer

Good luck to ya!

MJ1657

The geese piled in this week. As soon as we got done chopping corn sileage they showed up. 

I'll be out there getting wet. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Wanderer

Heading to border country myself.  Counting on the birds to move with this system and reports from central Canada say they’re starting to bug out.

• l Love It 1