• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2019 Duck Geese Goose Waterfowl Opener (2018 Too)

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Holy snow!! It was coming down this morning around 8 am. Had geese flying but could not see them. Got buzzed by many flocks looking the wrong way as I could not look into the wind and snow. Had plenty close enough but never fired a shot. Off to the rifle range tomorrow with the old man. 

Snow?!  Hadn’t heard.  I’m still in Nodak and it’s been sunny and 69-70 degrees for highs!  Big wind yesterday but not so much today.  Birds are around but you have to look for em.  Been driving about 4 hours a day scouting.

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • I Like it 1

18 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Snow?!  Hadn’t heard.  I’m still in Nodak and it’s been sunny and 69-70 degrees for highs!  Big wind yesterday but not so much today.  Birds are around but you have to look for em.  Been driving about 4 hours a day scouting.

Just so we're clear. You left this kind of harvest to drive around in 70 degree weather for 4 hours a day, why again? ?

image.png.8e3d16cb459868992154c3ad89bd64e7.png

• Yayyyy 1

Before the snow started! That wind was wicked. 

8938F667-2060-44BF-A86F-E633D99DF319.jpeg

88DD7E9C-DD77-4FC3-9EA6-7FDAF19CF854.jpeg

2041BBC0-6BA1-419C-9EA2-741C89D7E116.jpeg

77A09E6A-AE75-4375-BB8B-11FAECC6DDBE.jpeg

• I Like it 1

11 hours ago, MJ1657 said:

Post some of your waterfowl hunting pics Leech. 

Not hunting the wet birds this year sorry.  So you mistook my lil funny to Wanderer?  I think he knows I was just pulling his chain.   ?  Good Luck.

Edited by leech~~

• 2 weeks later...

Didn’t quite have the repeat of yesterday but managed to eek out some birds over an extended morning.  

423D8F7E-1702-4895-BFE1-27A4CFB9FF7F.thumb.jpeg.3de9c612a79a78aa4763a1190a5c8f5c.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

Hoping to keep it up this weekend but those lows in the mid-teens make me shiver a little just thinking about it!

In a boat I wouldn’t give it a second thought but paddling gets stuff wet, including my hands.  Will probably rely more on lines this weekend than loose blocks.  I’d like to have the room of a boat though for that.

Give and take.  Still learning this late season stuff but I’m really enjoying it.  Anyone else still chasing the birds?

Edited by Wanderer

If some new birds show up I'm hoping to Saturday and Sunday morning.

We have about 250 geese regularly coming to the farm and our duck pond. They have seen and heard everything and are not interested. 

3 hours ago, MJ1657 said:

They have seen and heard everything and are not interested. 

Good chance there will be a few new birds in this weekend - I think anyway.

Do the feeder flocks start small?  If they do, try just 2-4 of your best dekes out alone in a part of a field they haven’t pounded yet.  Sit back, don’t call, and see what happens.

I learned a lot the evening I hunted alone in ND and let birds pass my spread without shooting.  It was going to be a landing gear down shoot or nothing.  I finally pass shoot two big Canadians when the feed was already well on and it was obvious they didn’t want a spread.

4 birds became 40 which became 400 which became 4000 in maybe 30 minutes.  It was pretty epic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Checked some spots last night in the 11 degree temps.  No good!  Once the wind laid down the water started skimming over.  I saw more ice with snow on it than water in ducky spots through central MN.

Yes, BIG water might still be play but I’m not planning on paddling anything this weekend unless I find a surprise somewhere or get offered a ride in a bigger boat than what I have.

Might have to settle for deer this weekend.

Sigh.... ?

Find a little river or stream 

1 minute ago, monstermoose78 said:

Find a little river or stream 

I’ll be keeping my eyes open and checking hidey holes.  I’m just not planning for or expecting anything.  At least not like last weekend.

• I Like it 1

Geese, ducks and swans have been POURING out of Canada over the last 3-5 days!!!  There's a BUNCH headed toward you boys down south!  Our water is freezing up solid in the north.  They won't stay here long.  They rarely ever do. :(

• I Like it 1

big lake had about a thousand geese on it today, the most I have ever seen out there. also seen massive flocks of mallards coming off the corn fields flying into big lake.

• I Like it 1

Da last birds are a headin’ out.  Bummer.

There are still some around and they’re awesome late season beauties but the finding and getting to them can be tough right now, that’s for sure.

I passed on an offer to go out this weekend; the group got a little big for my preference.  They did OK.

Still haven’t hung up the shotgun yet...

• 4 weeks later...

A friend from western MN sent me a shot from last night.  The big Canadians are around.  Man, they’re hardy!

BEA22C2B-9C89-4C51-AE9B-7D73BCCB9EC7.thumb.jpeg.de4bc8e64092793803afad0e32a5f896.jpeg

• I Like it 1

Honestly, I think there are a number of geese that don't even migrate south anymore.  They just live in the river which is open all year round.

5 hours ago, gimruis said:

Honestly, I think there are a number of geese that don't even migrate south anymore.  They just live in the river which is open all year round.

Agreed, there always seems to be some geese over wintering.  I continue to see geese flying around and roosted in open rivers.  Swans too.  Had a pair circle me tonight while I was ice fishing.  It’s getting to be an ordinary thing - seeing swans in the winter.

• I Like it 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

2019...Ducks, Geese, Waterfowl Opener.... what ya planning and who's gonna get their goose? 

Still working on the goose this year.  I haven’t had as much opportunity as I hoped.  I’ve heard some have done really well in the area but they’re also the ones who’ve done their homework and have good fields to hunt.

Duck Opener for me should be the Baudette area.  Never seriously hunted up there but we have a place to stay and a duck toon to use so why not?

• I Like it 1

I plan to go on the opener.  With all the rain this year, I am thinking there will be no shortage of water.  I hope its not 85 degrees out.  About 60 and cloudy would be pretty ideal.  Wouldn't bother me if I didn't harvest a goose because then I don't have to eat it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

This will be my second year not waterfowl hunting in Minnesota. Some of it is due to being too busy with school and some has to do with the pressure of hunting we have in MN. I'll save this year to go to Alberta or Saskatchewan next year.

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • I Like it 1

Being part of my brothers wedding on Saturday and then slaying ducks Sunday 

• I Like it 1

We got a couple one morning. Need some crops to come off for the goose hunting to pick up at home. We're still a couple weeks away from making corn silage. We're usually done by the end of August or so.

20190902_081741.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2