• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Wanderer

2019 Duck Geese Goose Waterfowl Opener (2018 Too)

Wanderer
1 hour ago, gimruis said:

What do ya'll do with those geese?  Pothole filler?  Shoe leather?  Fertilizer?

I smoke the breasts.  When done right, cut about 1/8 inch slices cross grain and enjoy however you might use roast beef cooked MR.

• Thumbs Up 2

MJ1657
22 minutes ago, BeagleLab said:

I registered awhile ago but posting for first time. Hello everyone! We took down a goose along with a few wood ducks this past weekend. Smoking, jerky and pepper sticks are all good options. For this weekend, I cut the breasts into thinner portions, used a meat tenderizer on them, then marinated overnight in olive oil, garlic, onions, and salt and pepper. No brining was performed. Cooked medium on a hot grill. Tastes just like sirloin.

Welcome to the site.  Pictures are always welcome.

• Thumbs Up 2

monstermoose78
7 hours ago, BeagleLab said:

Thanks! Here are some pics. 

72331447-440A-408B-9C6C-9E6235B1B028.jpeg

9FBAAD59-58FC-450D-9F70-7A2686800A53.jpeg

BB0399E3-9056-4682-9485-2500AABEAD73.jpeg

Welcome to the site and thanks for posting!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

gimruis

My uncle always said that there was only one way to cook a goose: bake it in the oven with cow sh** for a few hours.  When its done, throw away the goose and eat the sh**!

• Haha 3

leech~~
22 hours ago, BeagleLab said:

Thanks! Here are some pics. 

9FBAAD59-58FC-450D-9F70-7A2686800A53.jpeg

That looks great , BeagleLab.  Just missing the sauteed onions!  😋

BeagleLab

Thank you. Yes, I went with what I had. Forgot to save some onions from the marinade.

• Thumbs Up 1

BeagleLab
1 hour ago, gimruis said:

My uncle always said that there was only one way to cook a goose: bake it in the oven with cow sh** for a few hours.  When its done, throw away the goose and eat the sh**!

My wife liked it. She thought it was a little tough, but likely because I cooked her's medium which is what she wanted. She liked the taste though and used the leftover steak in her lunch salads this week which I take as a compliment.

• Thumbs Up 2

leech~~
35 minutes ago, BeagleLab said:

My wife liked it. She thought it was a little tough, but likely because I cooked her's medium which is what she wanted. She liked the taste though and used the leftover steak in her lunch salads this week which I take as a compliment.

I picked up one of these Jaccard meat tenderizers which works pretty darn good for these more questionable tougher pieces of meat.  I use it on a lot of things like thick pork chops or loins before marinating to help get it in the meat more. 🙂

91hXANse1HL._SL1500_.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

MJ1657
7 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

I picked up one of these Jaccard meat tenderizers which works pretty darn good for these more questionable tougher pieces of meat.  I use it on a lot of things like thick pork chops or loins before marinating to help get it in the meat more. 🙂

91hXANse1HL._SL1500_.jpg

If you have to use that on the ducks or geese you cook you're doing something wrong. 

leech~~
53 minutes ago, MJ1657 said:

If you have to use that on the ducks or geese you cook you're doing something wrong. 

Yeah it was just a suggestion for folks marinating and grilling Geese, not Ducks.  We cockered our geese most of the time.  😉

• Thumbs Up 1

BeagleLab
43 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Yeah it was just a suggestion for folks marinating and grilling Geese, not Ducks.  We cockered our geese most of the time.  😉

Great idea. I have one of these but its white. I used it on the goose breasts but not enough apparently. It was easy to cut, just a little tougher than sirloin she commented. Next time I'll use it more!

• Thumbs Up 2

BeagleLab

I've never used it on duck breast. Just salt and peppered, wrapped in bacon and then into a pan with hot olive oil or on a grill. I like the pan and hot olive oil though. The bacon is more of an accompanying treat.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wanderer
3 hours ago, BeagleLab said:

I've never used it on duck breast. Just salt and peppered, wrapped in bacon and then into a pan with hot olive oil or on a grill. I like the pan and hot olive oil though. The bacon is more of an accompanying treat.

When I wrap duck breasts in bacon, I cook till the bacon is done.  Then the duck is just right.  R - MR depending on the heat.

Rare duck is like meat candy. 😋

• Thumbs Up 1

Wanderer

Here comes the “Second Opener”.

I’m planning on being in the Crow Wing/Cass County area for just the weekend.  Reports have been mixed, with great numbers one day; hardly a bird seen the next.  We’ll be looking to toss some muskie baits around too so if the birds aren’t thick, we won’t be bored! 

This fall seems to have come with serious intent.  Snow already falling in parts of the state and birds on the move.  BW Teal have reportedly left central and western MN.  Some GW Teal have shown up instead.  Big flocks of mallards were reported to have come through and now I’m hearing of divers (including a canvasback) and snow geese already making a presence.  Holy cow!  Is this season going to be short?!  How long till freeze up at this rate?  Better get out there while we can!

• Thumbs Up 1

Tom Sawyer
1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

I’m planning on being in the Crow Wing/Cass County area for just the weekend.  Reports have been mixed, with great numbers one day; hardly a bird seen the next.  We’ll be looking to toss some muskie baits 

Don't forget a few minnows and jigs 

• Thumbs Up 1

leech~~
4 hours ago, Wanderer said:

I’m planning on being in the Crow Wing/Cass County area for just the weekend.  Reports have been mixed, with great numbers one day; hardly a bird seen the next.  We’ll be looking to toss some muskie baits around too so if the birds aren’t thick, we won’t be bored! 

This fall seems to have come with serious intent.  Snow already falling in parts of the state and birds on the move.  BW Teal have reportedly left central and western MN.  Some GW Teal have shown up instead.  Big flocks of mallards were reported to have come through and now I’m hearing of divers (including a canvasback) and snow geese already making a presence.  Holy cow!  Is this season going to be short?!  How long till freeze up at this rate?  Better get out there while we can!

Good luck!  Just don't bring your Bow and stay away from my Deer stand! 😕   😆

• Haha 1

Wanderer
2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Good luck!  Just don't bring your Bow and stay away from my Deer stand! 😕   😆

YOUR deerstand on County land??? 😉😀

• Thumbs Up 1

leech~~
35 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

YOUR deerstand on County land??? 😉😀

Well if you just want Wolves, go ahead and use it! 😛

Edited by leech~~
  • Haha 1

Mike89

nice batch of birds you all!!!!   👍

• Thumbs Up 1

MJ1657

Not a great shoot but it was neat getting a Pintail. We will try again tomorrow. 

20181006_112236.jpg

20181006_112252.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

monstermoose78

I am in total shock no ducks around my dads pond. This the first time ever I have not killed a duck off my dads pond in 25 years. It’s crazy. What would cause this? The pond is full of freshwater shrimp. 

• Wow 1

Tom Sawyer

Early migration. Tons of birds took off with Wednesday's wind...