Jump to content
  • GUESTS

    If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2019 Duck Geese Goose Waterfowl Opener (2018 Too)


Recommended Posts

Slow for us on Sunday but we shot a Golden Eye so that was kind of cool.

 

Not sure why it was hanging around Cambridge this time of year. 

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Wanderer

    43

  • monstermoose78

    28

  • MJ1657

    24

  • leech~~

    13

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a tailgait shot for ya from today.       😊  

Thanks! Here are some pics. 

Well it hasn’t been stellar but it hasn’t been a waste of time either this morning.  What I’ve been hearing is the hatch was poor in prairie Canada so we should see fewer but more mature birds.  Seems

Posted Images

Wanderer

Well we’re back home and tired!

 

We tried to get lost as best we could in the Itasca/Cass counties area.  Looking for carry in accesses to kayak into duck hunting heaven. 😅  So was everyone else and they had jon boats with mud motors.

 

We had a great time despite some negative highlights that really affected everyone’s hunting.  We found a roost during scouting on Friday, along with a great campsite to stay.  The roost and campsite were 2 miles apart though.  We scoped out the closest spot we dared set up the following morning cuz, Don’t shoot the roost, right?  Paddling by 3:30 am we got our spot, not flushing too many birds out.  Sure enough a boat with 3 guys churns past us later and deep into the roost.  

 

Sure enough again, birds blow out but settle back down.  We still think we’re in a good intercept spot with a convincing decoy spread laid out.

 

Low and behold, 8 minutes before legal shooting hours the three guys open up a barrage of shots that starts scattering everything to the wind.  Birds are whizzing by us but we hold our shots.  5 minutes to go and they open up again.  At 2 minutes to go the rest of the groups in the area start popping off.  Everything is flying high now and showing NO interest in decoys.  We have birds going over us but too darn high.  Not for everyone else though, they’re blasting at birds higher than the tree tops.  Sigh...

 

The three guys churn back by us maybe an hour into the day - limited out I’m sure.  We were the last ones back to the “carry in” access and were greeted by a group of 4 with 2 boats that scouted Friday also.  We know where each other were hunting.  They had that look on their face like they were expecting some answers.  That was enough for us to say “It wasn’t us!”  

 

It was a civil conversation after that. Local guys, upset with the shenanigans as well.  Three groups were able to get just half a limit with the tough shooting after the blowout.  All pass shooting; nothing coming to the dekes.  Those birds are spooky and know their safe distances.  Such a difference than expected.

 

We put plenty of miles on the truck and about 15 miles paddling looking for Mecca.  It’s a tough game around there that needs some more time to figure out.  But it’s a fun area to look at.  Short of not coming back with limits of ducks, it was a good, long weekend.  

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Well we’re back home and tired!

 

We tried to get lost as best we could in the Itasca/Cass counties area.  Looking for carry in accesses to kayak into duck hunting heaven. 😅  So was everyone else and they had jon boats with mud motors.

 

We had a great time despite some negative highlights that really affected everyone’s hunting.  We found a roost during scouting on Friday, along with a great campsite to stay.  The roost and campsite were 2 miles apart though.  We scoped out the closest spot we dared set up the following morning cuz, Don’t shoot the roost, right?  Paddling by 3:30 am we got our spot, not flushing too many birds out.  Sure enough a boat with 3 guys churns past us later and deep into the roost.

 

Sure enough again, birds blow out but settle back down.  We still think we’re in a good intercept spot with a convincing decoy spread laid out.

 

Low and behold, 8 minutes before legal shooting hours the three guys open up a barrage of shots that starts scattering everything to the wind.  Birds are whizzing by us but we hold our shots.  5 minutes to go and they open up again.  At 2 minutes to go the rest of the groups in the area start popping off.  Everything is flying high now and showing NO interest in decoys.  We have birds going over us but too darn high.  Not for everyone else though, they’re blasting at birds higher than the tree tops.  Sigh...

 

The three guys churn back by us maybe an hour into the day - limited out I’m sure.  We were the last ones back to the “carry in” access and were greeted by a group of 4 with 2 boats that scouted Friday also.  We know where each other were hunting.  They had that look on their face like they were expecting some answers.  That was enough for us to say “It wasn’t us!”

 

It was a civil conversation after that. Local guys, upset with the shenanigans as well.  Three groups were able to get just half a limit with the tough shooting after the blowout.  All pass shooting; nothing coming to the dekes.  Those birds are spooky and know their safe distances.  Such a difference than expected.

 

We put plenty of miles on the truck and about 15 miles paddling looking for Mecca.  It’s a tough game around there that needs some more time to figure out.  But it’s a fun area to look at.  Short of not coming back with limits of ducks, it was a good, long weekend.

 

Word, Yak Bowstring. 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
Wanderer
9 hours ago, leech~~ said:

 

Word, Yak Bowstring. 😉

 

We checked there second - it was way too crowded for what we were looking for.

  • Wow, ❤ 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This story is part of the reason I try to avoid public hunting areas.  Hunters showing up late, setting up nearby, shooting at birds out of range, etc just ruins the hunt.  Put it this way: if there is a chance other hunters will be around, I won't be.  You've got a good threshold of patience Wanderer.  Way more than I do for a situation like that.

Edited by gimruis
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gimruis said:

This story is part of the reason I try to avoid public hunting areas.  Hunters showing up late, setting up nearby, shooting at birds out of range, etc just ruins the hunt.  Put it this way: if there is a chance other hunters will be around, I won't be.  You've got a good threshold of patience Wanderer.  Way more than I do for a situation like that.

 

It would be nice to have a massive private slough or hunting woods but for the majority of us poor folks it's part of the game. Some days you win and some days the other guy does. Or you just sit home do nothing and play with yur doober!  😕

Link to post
Share on other sites
Wanderer

@gimruis

 

I’ve been accused of having too much patience many times.

 

My duck hunting buddy talked about people’s differing personalities and how we didn’t understand why fellow hunters weren’t more considerate.  We settled on the fact that we’ve been trained to be that naive from working in the hospitality/service industry too long! 😀

 

Still loving the hunting but have to change our expectations a bit

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 6:08 PM, pikeandchester said:

Good opener on the water in the Mankato area. 3 wood ducks and 2 geese. Little guy’s first opener, we left at 10:00 and he wanted to stay longer than I did!

51EBB13E-493C-4154-8870-B7B180A9C323.jpeg

CC648F8B-D2AB-453A-BB2A-C1B5ED83BB2D.jpeg

 

pikeandchester, your kid is priceless!   You know that you wouldn't be going by your self much anymore-Right! 😅

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

That’s awesome MJ!! Congrats to you mighty hunters!!

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

Going out in the morning. I hope I see some

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

Ducks landing in front of me before shooting hours. The first shots of the morning came from the big pond in the refuge.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

Knocked down one wood duck down and took Finn over to find it. Finn chases that duck around an oxbow pond. My big white lab was black. Finn chased it into the river and it started diving and it must of grabbed a weed.

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, gimruis said:

What do ya'll do with those geese?  Pothole filler?  Shoe leather?  Fertilizer?

I'll take every one I can get. We mostly make jerky out of them. 

 

It's excellent. It's just like venison jerky only softer. I'm headed to Cabela's right now to get seasoning so we can get started. 

 

We also grill a couple. Marinate in italian dressing and diet Coke. Slice thin and grill them. 

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
leech~~
37 minutes ago, gimruis said:

What do ya'll do with those geese?  Pothole filler?  Shoe leather?  Fertilizer?

 

Jerky or Crockpot um!  You throw enough potato's, onions and seasoning on dog meat it will taste good after 6-7hrs in the old crock!  😋

Link to post
Share on other sites
Wanderer
1 hour ago, gimruis said:

What do ya'll do with those geese?  Pothole filler?  Shoe leather?  Fertilizer?

 

I smoke the breasts.  When done right, cut about 1/8 inch slices cross grain and enjoy however you might use roast beef cooked MR.

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BeagleLab said:

I registered awhile ago but posting for first time. Hello everyone! We took down a goose along with a few wood ducks this past weekend. Smoking, jerky and pepper sticks are all good options. For this weekend, I cut the breasts into thinner portions, used a meat tenderizer on them, then marinated overnight in olive oil, garlic, onions, and salt and pepper. No brining was performed. Cooked medium on a hot grill. Tastes just like sirloin.

Welcome to the site.  Pictures are always welcome.

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78
7 hours ago, BeagleLab said:

Thanks! Here are some pics. 

72331447-440A-408B-9C6C-9E6235B1B028.jpeg

9FBAAD59-58FC-450D-9F70-7A2686800A53.jpeg

BB0399E3-9056-4682-9485-2500AABEAD73.jpeg

Welcome to the site and thanks for posting!! 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My uncle always said that there was only one way to cook a goose: bake it in the oven with cow sh** for a few hours.  When its done, throw away the goose and eat the sh**!

  • Yayyyy 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
leech~~
22 hours ago, BeagleLab said:

Thanks! Here are some pics. 

 

9FBAAD59-58FC-450D-9F70-7A2686800A53.jpeg

 

 

That looks great , BeagleLab.  Just missing the sauteed onions!  😋

Link to post
Share on other sites
BeagleLab
1 hour ago, gimruis said:

My uncle always said that there was only one way to cook a goose: bake it in the oven with cow sh** for a few hours.  When its done, throw away the goose and eat the sh**!

 

My wife liked it. She thought it was a little tough, but likely because I cooked her's medium which is what she wanted. She liked the taste though and used the leftover steak in her lunch salads this week which I take as a compliment.

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
leech~~
35 minutes ago, BeagleLab said:

 

My wife liked it. She thought it was a little tough, but likely because I cooked her's medium which is what she wanted. She liked the taste though and used the leftover steak in her lunch salads this week which I take as a compliment.

 

I picked up one of these Jaccard meat tenderizers which works pretty darn good for these more questionable tougher pieces of meat.  I use it on a lot of things like thick pork chops or loins before marinating to help get it in the meat more. 🙂

91hXANse1HL._SL1500_.jpg

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

    • gimruis
      I use Lake Insight Pro with my Lowrance units.  I used to have Navionics but was advised to switch over to Lake Insight for accuracy.   20 years ago when I started using modern GPS/mapping, Lakemaster was still compatible with Lowrance.  In fact my iFinder H20C still uses a Lakemaster chip.  I think its 2007.
    • delcecchi
      Is there a corporate connection between Johnson Controls and Johnson Outdoors, other than that they are both named Johnson?  
    • papadarv
      Comparison between Navionics and Lakemaster. https://sportfishingbuddy.com/navionics-vs-lakemaster/   In 2004 Johnson Control started buying Lakemaster, Humminbird & Minkota - made everything porparithy to only work on Johnson Control products. Lowrance than teamed with Motor Guide and Navionics making a compatible fishing system to Johnson Control. Navionics also made there 1' contour maps available on the web with the Boating App where Contour Elete is on a windows computer limited software. (Computers do not have GPS chips.) Lowrance also created there C-Map to work on there product line.    I use Navionics Boating App $15 annual subscription on my Samsung phone and Samsung 10" tablet. Both have dual GPS and GLONASS chipset (USA/Russia navigation) 3ft. accuracy on the lake linked to my Vex Sonar. Very effective at a very low cost. Offers a super planning tool compared to lakemaster. You can also get lakemaster on your smart phone using the FishSmart App @ $10 to $30 per lake.   My son has a Humminbird set up on his boat running Follow the Contour. I ran test on contour and sonar depth accuracy following a 19 ft. contour. Both Navionics and Lakemaster were not 100% accurate both at times varied between 11 ft. and 26 ft. about 5% of time. Most of the route was spot on most of the time. The lake was Ottertail with fantastic structure variation. My opinion, both maps are equal in quality. Navionics offers a greater comparable equipment use.
    • SkunkedAgain
      I hear you. I wasn't "thinking" about that when I upgraded my Minnkota trolling motor about five years ago. Had I been, I would have switched so that it worked with my Lowrance. Maybe whenever I upgrade my graph I'll switch over to Hummingbird. It is all confusing.   BTW - I did ordered a new Navionics lake map chip so I'll see if it's much of an improvement.
    • SkunkedAgain
      I was awakened this morning by the sweet sound of a 2-stroke plodding through Black Bay on the crappie hunt. It's a much better wakeup sound than a whiney snowmobile motor, that's for sure. I should find an alarm clock that sounds like an old outboard plowing through the lake waters....
    • delcecchi
      Did "lakemaster"   re-survey the lake, or is this data from Navionics?     Trying to keep ownership straight.    Hummingbird owns Lakemaster it appears although it is a little ambiguous. Johnson outdoors owns Hummingbird.     Garmin owns Navionics.     Navico owns Lowrance and C-Maps.        I used to think there were only 3 sets of data for Vermilion, the OG Lakemaster 3 foot, Navionics 1 foot, and Garmin 1 foot.   Then Garmin acquired Navionics.    And now we have three families of stuff to consider for electronics and trolling motors.    And since nothing works with the other brands it becomes a real decision which one to get locked into and no source of unbiased uncorrupted objective information.....☹️
    • delcecchi
      I think that the primary purpose of any harvest regulation is to control the total amount of fish taken from the lake, and secondarily to alter the size structure of the population.      Minimum sizes, slots, numerical limits all have their problems with their effects on the size distribution, especially in a lake where the harvest is near the maximum level.     We all have heard of a large lake here in Minnesota with all sorts of issues that are basically insoluble in the face of the high level of fishing pressure it gets.      The best thing that could happen to Vermilion is for Canada to reopen.  😀   I don't know that keeping 4 12 inchers is somehow worse than keeping 4 17 inch fish, with regards to the population, for example.   I  hope folks don't start filling their freezers in the spring and fall when the fishing is good. (it is unlawful but a lot of it happened anyway)   I'm just glad to see that things are looking up for the lake and the West end in particular so I won't have to psych myself up for a long boat ride in order to actually catch a walleye.
    • delcecchi
      Congratulations on Retirement!
    • JerkinLips
      Congratulations on retirement, CigarGuy.  It has been 2 years for me now and I know you will love it.  Can't say I have been fishing more than when I was working, but at least I can pick the best times to go.
    • Hookmaster
      Congratulations on your retirement CigarGuy. I retired in December and it's fantabulous!!!  😃
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.