• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trying to put together a surprise trip to BWCA with my son.  This is going to be a surprise trip.  He's really into kayak fishing and i'm selling my bass boat so we can do the kayak thing together. 

I know portaging with a kayak for the most part limits where we can fish and that's okay.  As long as I can get him into some fish of some sort fish, he will be happy.  We will be driving up from north Texas.......I'm originally from NE Iowa so on a trip home we'd just continue on north to BWCA for our trip.  

Just trying to create memories before this kid goes off to college :( . 

Thanks for any advice!

Mitch

Sawbill Lake off of the Sawbill trail gets my vote.  

Has a campground and outfitter on Sawbill Lake (part of lake outside, most inside the B.W.C.A.). 

Can either car camp and day paddle into B.W.C.A. or they will set you up with everything to camp inside the B.W.C.A.

Do need a entry point reservation for overnight camping, or just a free day pass for the day that you fill out at the entry point.

Google will give you links.  Small mouth bass fishing picking up on crank-baits fishing off of rocky points.  Walleyes a little deeper with jigs, twister tails.  

Owners of outfitters really nice people and will bend over backwards to help you out (time we forgot our food pack at home).

Edited by backcast

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I would have an outfitter drop you off in houst bay of basswood. Lots of walleye waters near there plus pike large mouth small mouth are think. If you need fish to eat the bluegills and crappies provide plenty of fun. Having the outfitter bring you in will save time and your strength.

The type of kayak you use is the first thing that came to my mind. In the BWCA you need to paddle, the kayak that you peddle [like Hobie] are banned. I don't have enough time up there to have a favorite fishing area. The other thing is in Minnesota all watercraft over 10 feet must be licensed, either to your home state or to Minnesota. Just trying to keep you from making memories that are not so pleasant.

You no longer need a license on your out of state water craft if it is in MN less than 90 days.

"A watercraft license is not required for: Non-motorized watercraft 10 ft or less, or a watercraft owned by a person from another state and that state does not require licensing of that type of watercraft and it is not within Minnesota for more than 90 consecutive days.

Hard to beat soft plastics.  I like the Impulse series from Northland and there clear containers that thread on top of each other.  I recommend bringing a rod that is not to expensive for it is rugged and accidents can happen.  Ugly stick type equipment works well.  Walleyes should be moving up shallow at dark and in the mornings to.  During the day try deeper waters of 20 feet.  Casting shorelines is always a good pattern to start with for us.  Good luck and don't forget all the proper legal stuff BWCA permitting, fish license, etc..  Tight lines, JH

• 1 month later...