• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Propane Or Electric Auger

Parmer

I bought a permanent ice house this spring and want a auger with no fumes. Was looking at Ion, there expensive. And was looking at jiffy or Eskimo propane augers. Just curious what everyones thought is. Do propane augers run good or do they have problems? 

If you own a decent cordless drill, you might want to consider the K-Drill. Would be about half the price of an Ion and would cut 4-10 holes in no-time.  With the chipper style blade I've heard they reopen holes quite well.  I have a Nils that connects to a cordless drill. Love it, but with a laser style blade it wouldn't be good for reopening holes.

I don't own either an Ion or a propane auger, but I've read a lot about them on these forms. With the exception of an issue where ice was collecting on an Ion so much it couldn't cut holes, I can't recall anyone complaining about either option.

I have a Cordless drill... But I do not think it's brushless... Do I need a brushless drill? And do you recommend the orange or blue nills auger? I would be getting 8 inch. 

Would not recommend using any drill but a brushless hammer drill of at least 750 in. lbs. torque with an eight inch Nils. The orange one with the black head is made for electric drill, but the blue on will work with an adaptor. Black head is a little less aggressive. 

Thanks for the info... Think I am just going to get a trophy strike ion auger. Thay have one for 399. Then I don't have to buy a new drill. Appreciate the info! 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I use a brushed drill and it works just fine. The brushless is better on batteries a little. Get the extension for whatever one you get. 

31442E2A-7906-4553-8735-A9B2EF69F8D5.png

I should add I have over 6000 holes or more drilled with this set up. I did add the extension and it’s a back saver

The propane augers still set off the carbon monoxide detectors.

make sure you have a top end drill and big batteries. I can get 30-35 holes per 12 amp hour battery with 35 inches of ice.

Monstermoose where do you get a set up with the handles like that? I have an 18v lithium drill but it's not brushless... 

It’s a clam drill plate. 18 volt drills work but you need high torque. Hammer drills have metal gears and handle the stress better of cutting ice. If your drill is a high end drill it should work. 

I hope @eyeguy 54 chimes in he used a few different drills and auger bits.

just used the ryobi and milwaukee .  both worked with the nills 6 inch but the milwaukee is for sure better. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Strikemaster lithium lazer is the only way to go. The thing cuts like butter and has reverse which makes for like two scoops of slush per hole in the wheel house once you get the hang of using it and that's with 3 feet plus of ice. Another really awesome feature is that it has a soft start on it so slush doesn't fling all over in your house. Before the strikemaster I had a nils gas auger and that worked very well but not near the controll and finesse as the lazer. I also tried the drill thing early on last year and had very mixed results. They aren't made to auger holes feet deep in ice. As far as propane, I have several friends that have them and I think they are worse than a gas auger as far as fumes and very heavy and unreliable. They call em iffy pro 4's for a reason. Ion's are not even worth mentioning as they are in a league of their own as being ultimate junk. These are just my opinions and the best thing you can do is try to try different set ups. The one thing I can say for sure is once you find what you like get one ASAP because the good ones sell out for the year very fast.

Early ice I use 18 v drill with 6" holes smooth shaver blade. Drill I like best is the Milwaukee Mud Mixer (MMM for short) #1. I made MMM  adapters for both direct & Clam Plate connect #4. I also have a DeWalt 18 on a Jiffy gear box turning at 110/250 RPM bit speed. Not enough power to drill so I use it for my custom built slusher #2. In Wheel House > 14" ice, I go to Gas/Propane drilling with house raised, on an 8" modified Mora bit #3. Mora blade #5, drilling 34" ice in 29 seconds. Drills lack power for this blade. Buddy has new Green Ion only drills 1 hole to my 5 with Gas drill. Ion has no center point so really dificalt to start holes centered in wheel house access hole.

Biggest issue with drills are batteries. Volts on one of the 5 parallel sets drops faster than other 4 sets when pushed hard. When re-charging  the charger turns off when one of the 5 sets reach 4.25 volts. Other 4 sets have less voltage. If 1 set is at <3.6v at charge end, one battery charge light will not light up. When 3 of 5 drop below 3.6v charger will indicate battery is no good.

20180819_082043.thumb.png.3449254060f56963d7489cd1d2522f5f.png

I'm in the same boat, plan on selling my 4 year old solo lazer to get a lithium 40v strikemaster; I wouldnt go propane as they still stink up the ice house, let alone they are tanks. thought about the cordless drill but i would still be putting in $400+ with the purchase of a drill and the unit itself, let alone the thicker ice and versatility I would have with the 40v strikemaster

-speaking of which, anyone buy one last year and know of the best deal, i thought I saw 450 from reeds with 2 batteries last year during a sale? 

Edited by Jmnhunter

Tough decision. I'll relate my own experience. I have been running an eight inch Nils Convertible(Orange one) with a 750 in lb Milwaukee drill for six years now and will never go to anything else. I've drilled over ten holes in 32 inches of ice with battery to spare on a five amp battery. 35 holes in under 20 inches of ice. Have a 14 inch extension for it also. Never need to keep the batteries warm and have rarely carried an extra battery, just keep the handle close by. Only used that once. At the end of ice season, I oil up the blades and hang it for storage. Now I use the drill all summer long for other projects. I cannot speak for reopening old holes as I stay mobile and sold my wheel house. If the Nils has trouble reopening holes one could always change to a different auger blade.  Pretty big initial investment, but it's paid for itself several times already. While it may not be for everyone, it works for me. Good luck with your decision. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The Milwaukees the best in my opinion.  K drill does work great for re drilling holes it's a little slow. Monstermoose78 is that a Clam auger or Lazer? does it bind at the bottom of the hole or more control with the clam plate? that is on sweet looking drill combo there.

Alot of places that sell the 40v strike Master have them on back order. Cheapest I have found is 549. I am seriously considering the 40v trophy strike for 399. But I do not know anyone who has had one. I am just going off reviews on the interweb. 

17 hours ago, Parmer said:

Thanks for the info... Think I am just going to get a trophy strike ion auger. Thay have one for 399. Then I don't have to buy a new drill. Appreciate the info! 

where Parmer? I've heard of those, out of CO and at first glance they're faster than the Ions 

ahh nevermind, I see ebay has the 40v model for $400

Edited by Jmnhunter

4 hours ago, mrpike1973 said:

The Milwaukees the best in my opinion.  K drill does work great for re drilling holes it's a little slow. Monstermoose78 is that a Clam auger or Lazer? does it bind at the bottom of the hole or more control with the clam plate? that is on sweet looking drill combo there.

It’s a clam auger and no binding for me. I bought a two pack of 12 amp hour batteries for 199. I was using the 3 amp hour batteries and I have chased Eyeguy and rick g around and we cut tons of holes. I will say getting the big batteries was a game changer for chasing gills and crappies.

• Thumbs Up 1

indeed, mine are only 5 amp on the fuel but that baby slices and dices. tempted to go to 8 inch but then I ask myself why would I do that. 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

indeed, mine are only 5 amp on the fuel but that baby slices and dices. tempted to go to 8 inch but then I ask myself why would I do that. 

I was thinking a 7 inch would be nice for bigger fish

I would go with a drill auger myself. They’re amazing and double use out of the drill.

12 hours ago, going4it said:

Jiffy just came out with their electric auger I saw on fb. Did a search online and couldn’t find anything. 

81CA72A6-337B-4B91-B70F-21C2BF158854.png

Man, it is getting expensive to make a hole in a sheet of hard water! ?

007451.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2