• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Things to do this fall and winter?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
2 hours ago, Rick said:

Things to do this fall and winter?

Lot's of shops and gift stores for you and the wife Rick! ?

Edited by leech~~
  • Wow, ❤ 1

Fish n hunt and stop every once in a while to just look around and sense the smell of the north country.

What more could a person possibly want? ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
1 minute ago, mbeyer said:

I think the fall is best time to walk the trails.....get in the woods.

Do you have any favorites?

Bring a shot gun with on those walks and maybe shoot a few grouse!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Rick said:

Do you have any favorites?

I always enjoyed the walk at the Bass lake trail off The Echo.  Get to see a waterfall and can walk to a couple different lakes, Bass, High, and Dry.

• Thumbs Up 1

crazy wrabbit    a couple out of our group hit that when the weather got ruff while we were fishin shagawa pounding walleyes and smallies one day, now they have to stop for a couple whenever were over there. Ever heard of Plink ? me either but they got it . one shot of that  and they will be tuckin you away

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, ANYFISH2 said:

I always enjoyed the walk at the Bass lake trail off The Echo.  Get to see a waterfall and can walk to a couple different lakes, Bass, High, and Dry.

I haven’t hiked all the trails but that one is worth the time.  Pack a lunch and take the long route.

1 hour ago, trolloni said:

crazy wrabbit    a couple out of our group hit that when the weather got ruff while we were fishin shagawa pounding walleyes and smallies one day, now they have to stop for a couple whenever were over there. Ever heard of Plink ? me either but they got it . one shot of that  and they will be tuckin you away

Plink... yah, that’s the ticket. ?

• Thumbs Up 1

Forgot about the trips down to Miners Lake/Pit in town. It holds some nice rainbows, easy to catch from shore. Clawlers under a slip float set about 10´ to 15 'fished in the S W corner of the pit, worked for me. Shagawa Lake is a great option for shore casting for pike and walleye. The city park near the sea plane base will get you to the lake, over a bridge if I remember correctly. Had some luck fishing from shore along the steeper breaks with jigs tipped with minnows. Fun town...

• Thumbs Up 1

For fall book a guided trip into Basswood lake with Rob Nelson and The Ely Fishing Guide Company. Usually good action on walleyes and some bonus large smallmouth.

Edited by chaffmj
  • Thumbs Up 1

Love this thread, always looking for stuff to do if there is a bad weather day while up there. Will definately check out the Bass Lake trail.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Check out the fire and ice trail

up the echo too

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, chaffmj said:

Ok so it isn't fall yet but I was out last week on Basswood and we caught several large smallmouth, walleyes and some bonus bluegills.

DSC01202.JPG

L-large???  How about Hhuuuggge?

Amazing looking fish Mike!

Always something to do when you're in the ely area if you can't find  something to do  you obviously aren't looking hard enough  tons to do no matter time of year if you're into the outdoors everything mentioned in postings above  are all excellent choices 

Is there a car show in Ely this weekend? Drove through town yesterday, and there were old model T’s parked up and down the main drag.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I were there I would be on this like white on rice.....   Walking geology tours of soudan mine.  

New Tour Offered

The mine has developed a new tour -- the walking drift tour. It is available weekdays in September at 2 pm. (NOTE: The traditional mine tour will still be offered weekdays at 10, 12, and 4 and hourly on weekends from 10-4). The new tour explores how geologists found the iron ore buried deep in the Earth's crust. Visitors don hard hats and enter a "cage" for the half mile descent into the mine. Once underground visitors search for geologic clues on a 3/4 mile walk that follows the route miners took to work each day. They will also discover the tools that the miner's used in their exploration for iron ore. At the end of the tour, visitors will ride a train back to the beginning of their journey. The mine is 51 F year-around, bring a warm jacket or sweater and sturdy shoes. It will involve walking on uneven surfaces in a cold, dark and wet environment. The tour is available for individuals 10 years of age and older. Call the park at 218-300-7000 for more info.

• Thumbs Up 1