• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Borch

A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 😃

• Like 2

Tom Sawyer

Sounds fun, hope to make it...

Borch

Wow it's almost here!  Looking forward to connecting with folks.  Let me know if you're planning on stopping by Saturday.

BobT

Might be on the water in the morning but will have to leave a little before noon. Have an early afternoon appointment.  Will be sure to stop by the Battle Point launch around 8:00 or so.

Borch

Looking forward to meeting you BobT.

Borch

We've settled into our camping spot and the fishing report is that the sunfish and crapoies are on fire.  Walleyes are very tough right now.  But bass and pike are also being very cooperative. 

Borch

I fished most of the lake in scout mode today.  Found walleyes early on midlake humps and bars in 18-24 fow.  Got a couple to go on jigging raps but then they shut off.  Spent the rest of the day trying to pin down a panfish pattern.  Found good numbers of sunfish in shallow cabbage beds(6-9 fow).  None were huge but good numbers of 8-8 1/2" gills.  A few crappies are mixed in with them and some are suspending off the break.  There are also good numbers of sunfish in or just outside the reeds.   Most of the sunfish ran smaller though although there were some keepers there too.  Pike and bass I did not target but saw others do so successfully.   Plenty of bass in the reeds and spinnerbaits seemed to be what most were using.   Troll over the weeds and you will be rewarded with pike.

Borch

Decent walleye bite this morning once I figured out the pattern.  Jigging raps with a horizontal presentation on midlake humps.  So far the big fish is this 25" eye.

20180818_114218.jpg

• Like 3

Mike89

wanted to make it there but a car show and a date got in the way!!!👍

Wanderer

Nice box of fish!

• Like 1

ANYFISH2

Nice work Borch! Or maybe I should say Mrs. Borch?

Looks like I missed out.

BobT
On 8/18/2018 at 9:59 PM, Borch said:

That's ok.  Was a good day on the water.  Took my wife out this afternoon and had a nice day fishing.

20180818_173909.thumb.jpg.c69cf59fb8ea4fc4b29e76aa571ae6e0.jpg

Did you find most of those in the afternoon? We didn't do so well. Tried for eyes on various midlake humps for about an hour and then changed tactics to panfish for about 45 minutes before we had to leave. Found one decent size northern pike but that was it for us. 

Enjoyed having the opportunity to meet you, Borch. Too bad we weren't able to spend more time. Maybe next time.🙂

Borch

The eyes I got from 11 - 11:45 am.  The gills and crappies from 2:30 - 4:30 pm.  We did a picnic lunch and a boat tour of the lake as it was Wanda's first time on Osakis.   The panfish bite was very good.

Enjoyed our time as well.   Was hoping to see you before I went to get Wanda and left active fish. 

Lohmwil

Hey Borch, What do you mean by horizontal presentation for jigging raps?  How deep were the mid lake humps you were fishing?  I've been experimenting with jigging raps this year and have caught some on them, but not a lot.  One final question, I've been using size 7.  What were you using?  THANKS.

Borch

I was fishing 18-25 fow.  I cruised several humps that topped out around 17-20 fow and found fish on about 1/2 of them.  I only fished spots I marked good numbers of fish on them.

By horizontal I mean either making long cast and snapping the jigging rap back sharply or trolling 1- 1.2 mph and having enough line out that there would be a little slack before my next snap of the rod at that speed/depth.  You don't feel the hit.  The fish is just there on the next snap that then turns into a hook set.

I've also fished them vertically but many times the more horizontal presentation works better.  At least for me.

I caught fish on both 7&9 sizes.  But the 7s are easier on my arm with repetitive snapping of the rod.  These fish heavy and I've fished them like this in more than 30 feet of water. Metallic perch was the best color for me this weekend followed by rainbow trout or chartreuse.   Even caught several pike and crappies doing this type of fishing. 

Moonshine shiver minnows work well too.  They get the nod when there is moss on the bottom.  They fish cleaner that the jigging raps. 

• Like 2