• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Jeff Thill

Fishing the briggs lake chain

Jeff Thill

I am considering moving from one of the Metro Lakes up near St Cloud or within 20 to 25 miles of there. I have seen some nice places on the Briggs Lake chain and just curious what the fishing is like. What kind of fish and sizes can a person expect?

The DNR site indicates that Rush is considered an infested Lake but Briggs and Julia are still considered clean.

Just wondering from the experienced fisherman on this site, if you could be on any Lake within 25 miles of the st. Cloud area, what lake would you pick?

Borch

What kind of fishing are you interesred in?  What else is important to you besides location?

h8go4s

Horseshoe Chain and Clearwater both are in that range as the crow flies, don't know about highway miles. Both might give you more options.

Tom Sawyer
On 7/11/2018 at 9:45 PM, Jeff Thill said:

Just wondering from the experienced fisherman on this site, if you could be on any Lake within 25 miles of the st. Cloud area, what lake would you pick?

If I was to live on a lake near St. Cloud, (25miles), without question it would be Clearwater Lake. Big piece of water to keep you interested in learning, plenty of variety from shallow slop for top water bassin' to deep off shore structure for walleye and everything in between. Trophy fish of just about every freshwater species that swims, along with easier catches for a fry. For the most part Clearwater Lake, lives up to it's name for water quality, way better then Briggs, and certainly the Horseshoe chain, except for Cedar Island Lake, which is part of the chain. Clearwater has a few invasives, but they haven't happered fishing to a great extent. Great lake! Keep us updated on what you decide.....

• Thumbs Up 3

Jeff Thill

Looking for walleye  and bass fishing mostly.

I did hear good things about Clearwater Lake.

My wife has been looking at houses and her focus landed on West Sylvia.  She could care less about the fishing. Have any of you heard good or bad things about Sylvia Lake?

Tom Sawyer

Sylvia would have been my 1st choice, until it recently was discovered to have Stary Stonewart. Pretty devastating invasive. I'd bet Clearwater holds a state record large mouth bass. It also has strong walleye year classes.

Wanderer

My recollection of Sylvia is it being a nice, clean looking lake that would have nice views.  Bass were plentiful when I last fished it but ran pretty small on the weedlines.  You had to fish the slop to get better sized bass.  Couldn’t tell you a thing about walleyes there.

I agree with Tom, Clearwater is a more dynamic fishery.

jigginjim

Clearwater does not get the tubers, wake surfers or skiers traffic that Sylvia gets.

Borch

Clearwater,  Sugar and Grand would be good options.  All run clear and have good bass and decent walleye populations.   The invasive issues has narrowed the list a bit.

• Thumbs Up 1