• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

rodbender27

How to deal with people keeping bass

delcecchi

Got the grass mowed, and the canopy on the lift.   About time to go catch some smallies for lunch tomorrow.   🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Wanderer
1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

Got the grass mowed, and the canopy on the lift.   About time to go catch some smallies for lunch tomorrow.   🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Out of respect for your discerning palette, might I suggest the catch of the day in the 12 inch cut? 😁

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thumbs Up 1

roony

I kept some smallmouth for a meal one time, I think it was about 30 years ago. I browned them in the broiler and then wrapped them in aluminum foil with some dill and lemon juice. It was excellent. They were in the 12 to 13 inch range. 

roony

Here ya go del.

0180863_630x355.jpg

Ingredients

One 2 1/2 to 3-pound whole black bass, gutted and scaled

1 bunch fresh parsley

1 bunch fresh tarragon

1 bunch fresh thyme

1 small head fennel, thinly sliced, fronds reserved

6 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup capers, chopped

2 lemons, thinly sliced

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper

1 1/2 cups dry white wine 

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pats

Herbed Israeli Couscous, for serving, recipe follows

Herbed Israeli Couscous:

Kosher salt

1 1/2 cups Israeli couscous

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/4 cup currants

1/4 cup fresh chopped herbs, such as tarragon, parsley, chives, etc.

1 lemon, zested and juiced

1 lemon, zested and juiced 

Freshly cracked black pepper

Olive oil

Directions

Watch how to make this recipe.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Rinse the fish and dry thoroughly with a paper towel. Score each side of the fish 3 to 4 times on a bias, about 1/2-inch deep. 

Combine the parsley, tarragon and thyme into 1 large bunch with the stems attached, and separate out one-third of the bunch. Finely chop the separated, smaller bunch. Mix with one-quarter of the fennel slices, one-third of the fronds, garlic and capers and 2 of the lemon slices, making a sort of herby citrus marinade. 

Mix the chopped herb mixture with the olive oil and rub the mixture inside and outside of the fish as well as inside the slits. This will allow the herby citrus flavors to permeate through the fish. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. 

Place half of the remaining herbs, fennel, lemon slices, garlic and capers in a bed on the bottom of a roasting pan and the other half inside the cavity of the fish. Place the fish in a roasting pan. 

Evenly distribute the wine and butter pats in the pan, and place in the oven. The wine will help keep your fish moist and help steam it, as well as making a great sauce with the butter. Roast until the fish has cooked through, or until the skin is crispy and the fish is flaky, 25 to 30 minutes. 

Carefully transfer the fish to a serving platter with a bed of the Israeli Couscous (be careful, the fish is tender and can break). Pour the sauce from the pan over the fish and fillet to serve.

Herbed Israeli Couscous:

Bring 3 cups salted water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the couscous, cover and remove from the heat. Allow the couscous to sit until the water is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. 

Stir in the currants, fresh herbs, lemon zest and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and stir in a small glug of olive oil before serving. 

Edited by roony

Mike89

most likely cooked them in a bag!!!!😁

gimruis

Let me explain something to you guys that insist on keeping bass.  The reason that Mille Lacs is currently ranked as the top bass fishery in the ENTIRE country is because it had a regulation of keeping one bass over 21 inches as a bag limit for over a decade.  Combined with an improved water clarity and a longer growing season with warmer water and you now have what is considered by B.A.S.S. as the top smallmouth body of water maybe in all of North America, including the Great Lakes.  Just something to think about.

• Thumbs Up 3

roony
4 minutes ago, gimruis said:

Let me explain something to you guys that insist on keeping bass.  The reason that Mille Lacs is currently ranked as the top bass fishery in the ENTIRE country is because it had a regulation of keeping one bass over 21 inches as a bag limit for over a decade.  Combined with an improved water clarity and a longer growing season with warmer water and you now have what is considered by B.A.S.S. as the top smallmouth body of water maybe in all of North America, including the Great Lakes.  Just something to think about.

Mille Lacs is great for Bass now mainly because the Walleye population has been decimated. Reminds me of when Red Lake became one of the top crappie lakes in the country. When the walleye came back the crappie population crashed. A lake can only support so many fish. Personally, I would rather see Mille Lacs as a Walleye lake. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Wanderer
1 hour ago, roony said:

Reminds me of when Red Lake became one of the top crappie lakes in the country. When the walleye came back the crappie population crashed. A lake can only support so many fish. Personally, I would rather see Mille Lacs as a Walleye lake. 

I agree there is only so much biomass a lake can support.  I do recall reading the predictions of the crappie crash on Red before it happened.  

It was stated the comeback of the walleyes would have some effect but overall the boom was caused by a perfect storm of favorable conditions for the crappies to thrive, including perfect spawning and early survival weather and lake levels.  The lack of predation and competition for forage for fry was also cited.

But the interesting thing that I recall reading is the boom would eventually bust with or without the full return of the walleyes due to those perfect storm year classes aging out and dying anyway.  It would take continuous perfect crappie conditions to maintain anything that could come close what was experienced in the boom.

roony

Pretty much comes down to using good judgement no matter what you decide to keep and eat. There are people who don't think any fish should ever be kept. There are also people who don't think fishing should be allowed. I am not one of those people.

I don't know a lot of people who keep bass for the frying pan. If someone wants to fry up a few juvenile bass it might do a lake less harm than keeping something else. It depends  on the lake I guess and it depends on your perspective. 

gimruis
23 hours ago, roony said:

Mille Lacs is great for Bass now mainly because the Walleye population has been decimated. Reminds me of when Red Lake became one of the top crappie lakes in the country. When the walleye came back the crappie population crashed. A lake can only support so many fish. Personally, I would rather see Mille Lacs as a Walleye lake. 

But the difference in that scenario is that the walleyes were depleted because of over-fishing and commercial harvest.  Red Lake is still the same lake it was 15 years ago in terms of characteristics.  Mille Lacs is definitely not.  Unless we can find a way to reverse climate change and make the water murkier again, it can't be reversed.  I think there will be a day when we can harvest walleyes out of that lake again but the glory days are gone now.  And I would personally rather see Mille Lacs as a bass lake.  I'm just sayin, Roony.

roony

I think the zebes are what made the lake so clear, not climate change. I am not as quick to give up on the lakes future as you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Getanet

It's been a while since I read the report, but fairly certain the experts claimed one of the contributing factors to the walleye issue on Mille Lacs was a rising average water temp, which was killing off the tullibees. With a lack of tullibees to eat, the walleye and other fish were turning their teeth to walleye fry.  Whether people want to call that climate change or not, it seems to be one of the issues on Mille Lacs. This article seemed to think in the long run shallower lakes like Mille Lacs won't have any tullibee left:

http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-spending-millions-to-save-deep-water-cisco-lakes/382584711/

• Thumbs Up 1

Gone Out Fishin

There are a lot of good points in this thread.

Rules and laws help guide what people do legally. For some bodies of water slot limits work. Typically statewide slot limits won't work. Northern Minnesota has a lot of colder water than central and southern Minnesota. Those fish grow much slower than the potential there is in the southern part of the state. I can see why the tullibees are in danger on Mille Lacs As it was mentioned there is only so much biomass in any body of water. Decisions have to be made what should, could, and would be the dominant species. Especially on big bodies of with lots of resorts. In Minnesota, most people want good walleye fisheries. I've gone up to Mille Lac recently only for the good bass fishing.

On the other side, I don't mind if someone expresses an opinion at a boat launch. You can always say that you don't like to keep certain fish. Maybe a short statement why if a person asks. That is your choice. When I keep a fish it means it will be getting eaten. I like to eat just about any species that swim short of suckers, carp, or catfish. I get hungry for different foods like everyone else. For walleye, bass, pike, and panfish I keep midsized fish. I don't want to spend an hour cleaning fish to have a family fish fry. I do keep big fish in mind while out there. Catch, picture, and release. I want the chance to keep the genes going in that body of water.

These are just my opinions. Sorry, it is a long post.

• Thumbs Up 1

delcecchi
On 6/29/2018 at 7:35 AM, gimruis said:

And I would personally rather see Mille Lacs as a bass lake.  I'm just sayin, Roony.

Then get the DNR to institute a special regulation to manage it that way rather than trying to whack and stack bass and northerns like they have in the past in an effort to bring back the walleye and placate the local businesses.   

But, don't be getting in my face over what legal choices I make.   

gimruis

Go keep pike.  The bag limit in most of the state is TEN fish and the bag limit on Mille Lacs if five fish.  That's the species that is over abundant and needs harvesting.

Borch

All have their opinions about what shouldn be important.  There's plenty of bass guys walleye guys, muskie guys, you name it.  It's hard to make everyone happy.  

• Thumbs Up 3

Gone Out Fishin

Very true, Borch. I think most guys are just happy to catch nice sized fish... maybe that is just me being in the minority.

Hoey
On 6/29/2018 at 9:12 AM, roony said:

I think the zebes are what made the lake so clear, not climate change.

....add to that, the installation of a sanitary sewer system(s) and increased control of run-off.  According to my FIL, way back in the day, 60 years ago the lake was clear and only a night bite walleye lake.  Then an increase in field run off, direct dumping of sewerage, and leaking outhouses increased the cloudiness of the water and provided the day bite, 20 years ago.  It seems the pendulum has swung back...  

Better Than Working!

it's not hard to make everyone happy... it's impossible!

• Thumbs Up 2

Wanderer
5 hours ago, Hoey said:

....add to that, the installation of a sanitary sewer system(s) and increased control of run-off.  According to my FIL, way back in the day, 60 years ago the lake was clear and only a night bite walleye lake.  Then an increase in field run off, direct dumping of sewerage, and leaking outhouses increased the cloudiness of the water and provided the day bite, 20 years ago.  It seems the pendulum has swung back...  

Yeah, 25-30 years ago I visited a friend’s cabin near Malmo and remember seeing some pretty green water.  Big algae blooms.

Too many hands in the jar on that lake IMHO.  45 minutes from home and I hardly ever fish it.  I’m sure I’d do just fine if I took the time to learn it but the only time I’ve really enjoyed fishing it is on weekdays; and I just don’t fish that many weekdays.

• Thumbs Up 2

LoonASea

Wanderer ,,, wait till you retire,,, then week days will be the only time you will want to fish ,, I'm learning from experiencing retirement 

You gonna try to get that king salmon again this year on superior??

• Thumbs Up 3

Wanderer

@LoonASea

I’d love to take you up on that again!  Maybe even a weekday in July? 😁