• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Mr Mayor

Oh god, this kids from jerzey?!?

Mr Mayor

Hiya fella's, I'm Mark, and yeh I'm a Jersey kid..  (Admins/Mods move this topic if in wrong area)  Going to visiting some family the weekend of July 27-29 in the Mayer Minn area (About an hour west, from Minneapolis) and I'm a LMB junky from NJ. I must fish your state, as I do with any vacation.

Doing it the legal way always/only... how does MN's fishing license program work?  In NJ it's one $23 fee for fishing license, and an additional $11 for a trout stamp if any trout are in the same lake and can be had online or any local sporting good shop.  What's your story if I'm shooting for largemouth.. and lastly:

Where should I go?  A quick search showed a few lakes not too far, like Goose, Waconia, and Swede.  I don't know yet if I'll have access to a boat (passeneger)  and further, no idea if these lakes allow boats anyway.. might have to hit and fish the shore only (uhg).

OK that's it for now..

Cheers,

MM

Pat K

Here's the trout stamp info from the regulation book:

Trout and salmon stamp validations are printed on the

ELS license. This is the only verification needed to prove

purchase of the trout and salmon stamp. Purchasers

may request the actual pictorial stamp for an additional

75 cents.

Except as noted, anglers need a Minnesota trout and

salmon stamp validation and a fishing or sports license

when fishing in designated trout streams, designated trout

lakes, Lake Superior, or when possessing trout on waters that are not designated trout

water. All trout and salmon in possession require a trout and salmon validation, unless

received as a gift, see giving fish,

page 34

. Trout and salmon stamps are not required

for children younger than 18 years old, adults who are 65 and older, people fishing

with a 24-hour or 72-hour license or people who are exempt from fishing license

requirements or who receive a fishing license at no charge

Here's the online license site:

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/index.html

• Thumbs Up 1

Rick G

Welcome to Fishing Minnesota, Mr Mayor. Ahh yes, Jersey? Usually spend some time in Elizabeth  , Long Branch and Paramus  every year for work.... love the traffic?  

I havent fished that area in a few yrs, but Hydes used to have nice crappies, tons of 12-14 inch bass with some good ones mixed in  and quite a few smaller northerns. White spinner baits, in 1/4 and 3/8  will get plenty of bass. Waconia also has a good population of panfish and largemouth. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wanderer

Waconia is a good lake to try and you can rent a boat there too.

Pretty much every lake in the state is legal to float a boat; access is the only hinderance, which fortunately is still not a big issue.  So may good bass lakes in the area.  

Here’s a screen shot that might help frame some ideas for Waconia.

35F02AFF-D463-4480-8E16-4CE4F7730809.png.4edd9349375d9a55e01c1efe241face7.png

• Thumbs Up 1

workin4bait

Mr Mayor,

Lots of good guys on this site, when the time gets closer and a time frame of when you can actually get on the water is nailed down you could ask and some one from the area may let you jump in their boat for a day or a couple hours.

A nonresident can buy a license for a 24 hour[$14] or 72 hour[$36] time frame and a trout stamp isn't required[not many trout lakes in that area anyhow].

Shore fishing can be good. There are not any bass in Swede. Might catch some from the boat landing dock at Goose. You could wet wade Waconia and fish a pretty good area. I would try to get in a members boat from this site if I were you though.

Workin'

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr Mayor
On 6/10/2018 at 8:25 PM, Rick G said:

Ahh yes, Jersey? Usually spend some time in Elizabeth  , Long Branch and Paramus  every year for work.... love the traffic? 

I know all those areas well.  I'm a Parsippany~ish kid myself.  Traffic did suck when the commute was 40 one way- now just 5.5, all backroads.

@Wanderer Hey for boat rentals a license isn't needed?  I have my NJ boat lisc, but doubt they'd honor it....

To ALL!  Thanks for all the replies and help here... sooo looking forward to the trip. I will  indeed look closer as the time draws nearer, and omg, I would love to be a boat buddy (we say boat b!tch), and consider this my "ask"..

Thanks again fellas! Tight lines!

Mr Mayor

delcecchi

no boat license in Minnesota unless you are under 16..

Mr Mayor

So, the trip was utterly amazing, the weather was absolutely perfect, but very sadly never got to fish, the good news is though, an open invite on 2 gorgeous Bass boats that I can't WAIT to cash in on... (And ta hell with your ice fishing, LOL, you guys are nuts parking rigs THAT big on frozen water, LOL. (Saw lots of pics they shared))

Thanks for the replies and advice etc, I already can't wait to go back.  I met all my family members neighbors and instantly got the nickname "Jersey's nephew"... Not a lot to do in Mayer except relax which was nice actually.   Bonfires, biking, an attempt at unicycling (We were there for a circus my younger cousin was in, on a unicycle with a girl spinning around him in the air, then flaming things juggling, all on unicycle! 🤪 ) alos, howling Coyote's not-too-far away, cigars, a couple beers with my new friends.  Hell I haven't drunk that much since my bachelor party in '95; TRUTH!

Thanks guys, thank A LOT!

P.S> Is the state bird of Minnesota the Mosquito or what!??!?!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 2