• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am wondering if anyone is seeing evidence of the big Mayfly hatch or has any projections?

No sign of a big mayfly hatch coming yet.

Seeing a few of the small mayflies popping to the surface but none of the big guys yet.

Probably see the big hatch starting around the last week of June!

Cliff

Agreed. They are just starting on the south side of Lake Erie so you guys have to be a few weeks behind 

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:46 PM, Cliff Wagenbach said:

No sign of a big mayfly hatch coming yet.

Seeing a few of the small mayflies popping to the surface but none of the big guys yet.

Probably see the big hatch starting around the last week of June!

Cliff

We had a large hatch on Pike Bay, north side of garage door looks like it has sprouted wings. Walked over to neighbors by land and was attacked by hundreds hiding in the long grass. They don't bother me just annoying.

These bug hatches are annoying but they are a direct indication that the body of water is generally in pretty good shape because they can't hatch in polluted water.  They need relatively clean, well oxygenated water to hatch.  If they haven't started already, I'm sure the first wave is coming real soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lots of May Fly  floating on Pike Bay this morning!

Nothing in Big Bay yet.

Cliff

Ha, figures!!!  Right before I pack up and head North to the Big V, the bugs have to hatch!?!?!

There can be a couple of great days of fishing if you hit the beginning days of the hatch!  After the walleyes have gorged themselves for a few days the fishing can get tough though!

Cliff

Cliff thanks for the updates.  Do you think the hatch will be done by next weekend? 

Cherokee,

The main hatch will probably be just starting or peaking on Big Bay by next weekend.

Cliff

Was in Big Bay once again today and saw a few more Mayfly today than Tuesday . I agree things are just kinda getting going with the hatch , and also believe that these bugs will last until well after the 4th of July . With that being said , I also believe that fishing should hold up for awhile until the fish become so gorged out that things could come to a screeching halt later into this whole bug period . 

Mmmmmmm~~~~ here's one for ya!

For years we have been trying to get our fave Mayfly Rafts & Spikes into a booth at The State Fair.

Rafts = ~~~  Honey Waffle coated with Dark Chocolate Glaze n Peanut Butter then sprinkled with Frozen Real Maple Syrup dipped Mayflys. 

To die for.

Spikes  =  ~~~ Deep Fried Triple Thick Cut of F&D Smoked Bacon dipped into Smoked flavored Pancake Batter an dipped in Maple Syrup then rolled in pile of frozen Hickory smoked MayFlys.

Both Killer Pak~ons seved on a stick or in a Deep Fried Walleye Belly Fillet.

Power good experience that takes you places you never been before'!!

: )

Keep on rocken!

T

Cactus5.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Yayyyy 2

Any sign of the big hatch yet?  Heading up next weekend, hoping we don't hit the tail end of it...

Last Sunday my place was thick with them. Been thinning out since then

I just got here a couple days ago.   So the end not the beginning of the mayflies?  That would be good news.

Thanks Tommy!

Great pictures!

Glad that you found a new pal!!

Cliff

Lots of May Flies floating in Big Bay today!

Still a good walleye bite though. Boated 22 and kept 9 nice fish this morning.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1