• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smallie fishing

I’m fishing Island lake north of Duluth this weekend for smallmouth and I’m pretty new to smallmouth fishing. I have an idea on luers but if I could get some tips on where to find them this time of year (depth, structure, cover ect.)  that would be great they can be tips for Island lake spicificly or just smallmouth in general. Thanks 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'm not going to be much help as I don't have any appreciation for SM Bass. Don't they spawn like 10 times a year? :)

If I catch one its by accident.

I think your going to find the bass in the same areas you'll find the walleyes. On Island lake right now I'd working the shorelines with a jig and minnow.  Toss in shallow and work the depths back to the boat.   The water is low so you'll be able to identify bottom make up.  I'd look for spots with sand/gravel, and boulders.  Easy to read just by the contours on land.  If you don't get into any bass you should get into walleyes. Be sure to give a report!

• Thumbs Up 1

Boulders. Rocks. They should be shallow. Wacky rig is great, small 3 in tubes are great, small cranks in crayfish color too. Also drop-shot. Forget minnows unless you like such a pain in the butt to keep them. Not necessary for bass at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Look for those large single boulders on marl or sand.  Never been on that lake but any lake that has that type of cover produces.  If you can find an expansive “shallow” flat with random boulders, even better.

Shallow is relative to water clarity.  The nicer fish will probably be just deep enough that you can’t see them.  The boulders are the key.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wouldn't mess around with live bait either.  There's no need.  Trying to keep them alive aint worth it when the bass are generally willing to take artificial lures.  Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is a jerkbait.  Jerkbaits excel when the water is colder prior to the spawn.  The colder the water, the longer you should pause the retrieve.

Edited by gimruis
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So island was kind of a bust when I went a few weekends ago. It could be the fishermen or could be just bad fishing 

It happens.  If you timed if post-spawn, its definitely tougher.  It takes them a while to recover and get into their summer pattern.

• Thumbs Up 1