• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

paceman

Detroit Lakes & Pelican Rapids Area Summer fishing reports

paceman

Last night my son and out went out for quick panfish trip to a local lake after dinner. Did not have any live bait but we usually do well tossing small jigs/plastics. Surprisingly we were the only boat at the landing and the only boat out fishing on this heavily developed lake. It did not take us long to find the huge sunnies. They were really stacked in 4-6'. The lake was pretty calm and we could hundreds of them swimming under the boat. We didn't stay there long but they were very aggressive. I had one that touched 10" and a few others over 9. We did not keep any. Looking for active crappies we went to spot number 2. Again going super shallow we could see quite a few in 2-3' around there beds. They of course were pretty spooky and did not like the boat being so close. We backed out and tossed into and around lilly pads. We ended up catching about a dozen. All released. I wish I wouldn't have left my phone in the truck as I would have loved to get a picture. Just amazing how black they are right now! Again didn't stay very long. Just a quick trip to scratch the itch..

• Like 1

huntnfish

I made it out last Sunday and did some searching for walleye. The search didn't produce any walleyes, just northerns and smallies. The water temp on the main lake was 58-59 with the bays being about 5 degrees warmer. The people I have talked to have had similar issues finding the eyes. We missed some fish that left the shiner all chewed up. Most of the fish marked were out in that 18-21 foot range which seemed pretty deep for this early. It could have been Saturday's cold front that pushed them a little deeper though. 

• Like 1

paceman

Made it out last Thursday morning, did very well on area lake pulling shiners. limited out on nice eyes. Went crappie fishing Friday afternoon at noon with son and a neighbor kid. Did awesome pitching plastics into 4-5 feet. Spent the rest of the weekend turkey hunting, graduations a deck work. Need to get back out soon......

• Like 1

bbfenatic

Been chasing crappies quite a bit with mixed success.  They did not stay shallow long but that was a fun bite while it lasted.  Now getting them out in that 7-10' range out from the spawning areas....they will be moving to the cabbage soon once it matures a little more.  Best presentation I've had success on is the Strike King Crappie Thunder plastic pink/chartruese on a 1/16oz VMC UV moon eye jig.  All the lakes I have been on are super clear and less weed growth than normal for some reason.   Tight lines...Be Safe!

• Like 1

Chill62

Greetings,  Sorry I haven't been posting lately something happened and I could view but I couldn't reply to any topics.  Rick got me fixed now so we are all good.  With that being said I don't know how many people know there is a premium membership which gives you access to more detailed reports and I am one of the people who will be contributing to those reports.

I suck at walleye fishing and have only touched one so far this year and it was my girlfriends 18.25" which had to instantly go back into the lake.  I have tried a ton but haven't had one into the boat.  Hearing it has switched to a crawler or a leech bite and a lot of action under bobbers lately. 

Lately I have been trout fishing and been doing really well.  We've caught a lot of nice eaters which have been tasting amazing and also been catching some big boys for the smoker.  I've caught 2-22" ones being the biggest so far this season.  

Blue gill action has been on fire!  They are either tight to the reeds or hugging the edge of the weed lines.  Soft plastics and live bait have been working well for both  I'm hoping to get out soon and start focusing on catch and release only for those big gills.  

• Like 1

bbfenatic

Many of you FM long termers remember FisherDog from way back...he used to post all the time before he moved to Florida.  He was up for a couple days this past week and we got on a good crappie bite in the area, he is a Crappie Guru and man we worked hard but had fun...boated well over 100 in 2 days on the outside weed edges...many absolute Donkeys. Kept a few smaller ones so he could have a fish fry for his family...couple of pics...he's in the blue shirt.

735084487_bigppeter1(2).jpg.8ecbf2da4b13b1b1f6051a05dc81f4c5.jpg

1176965094_bigppeter2(2).jpg.5b4dd0968e55de4e5d0a197fde833615.jpg

• Like 4

Chill62

Awesome...Always was wondering what happened to him on here.  Sounds like the crappies are on fire back home and here I'm working day 9 straight

paceman

I have been out a few times this past week. Catching a few crappies here and there, loads of nice sunnies. The lakes are super busy with the hot weather and pleasure boaters. Lake temps are in the low 80's. Monday night My son and I were pulling spinners and gulp when he caught this old skinny 30.5" eye. We put here back and will get a replica mount for him. He was so excited!

Jack 30.5 eye.jpg

• Like 4

Borch

I bet he was excited!  Congrats!

On 7/16/2018 at 6:10 PM, bbfenatic said:

Many of you FM long termers remember FisherDog from way back...he used to post all the time before he moved to Florida.  He was up for a couple days this past week and we got on a good crappie bite in the area, he is a Crappie Guru and man we worked hard but had fun...boated well over 100 in 2 days on the outside weed edges...many absolute Donkeys. Kept a few smaller ones so he could have a fish fry for his family...couple of pics...he's in the blue shirt.

735084487_bigppeter1(2).jpg.8ecbf2da4b13b1b1f6051a05dc81f4c5.jpg

1176965094_bigppeter2(2).jpg.5b4dd0968e55de4e5d0a197fde833615.jpg

How's Pete doing?  Nice crappies!

• Like 1

Chill62

After a long 13 days straight of work we got out and did a little fishing!  Felt AMAZING to get back out on the water.  We chased panfish Saturday evening and pretty much struck out and went Sunday with the old man and got into a big ol mess of panfish.  Buddy of mine opened up his jig company in Vergas, MN and it's called Panfish Pirates, check him out on facebook.  Hes got a soft plastic called the Kraken that I have never seen before and boy did the fish eat them up!  We didn't use any live bait during the 6 hour trip out fishing and we landed hundreds of gills and crappies.  We landed 6 gills that were 9.5" sadly we couldn't find any big crappies even though the girlfriend lost one at the boat that was over 13".  Fish were on the edges of the weeds either lilly pads or down in the cabbage.  This Kraken has 3 legs behind it and it has natural bouyance within the plastic and it allows the jig to be swam through the weeds slower which was key yesterday.  Dad was in the front of the boat and a few times he had to stop and put his rod down because his arm hurt from fighting the fish and a few times his finger tips were hurting from taking the fish off of his hook but regardless he had a blast fishing.  We used 6 mm jigs tipped with the Kraken pitching from 4-14 feet of water.  Few times we were vertical jigging and my big blue gill pictured below came vertical jigging in about 12 feet of water.  All the gills were returned safely and only 6-7 crappies were taken home for dad to have a fish fry.  Pike must have been starving because I had about 6 blue gills get attacked by pike at the boat as i was bringing them in!

20180722_131336.jpg

20180722_132327.jpg

• Like 4

bbfenatic

He's doing well...even talking about getting to the point he may consider buying a an ocean boat which is quite an investment...they bought a nice condo on a lake up here but this year only got up here this one time...he's looking forward to the kids getting into college and/or a little more independent so he can spend more time up here..and that is not far away....time flies!  He is definitely coming up to ice fish this winter...that's his real passion.

Borch

Good to hear.

Chill62

Got out Saturday evening around the Dent area.  Fishing weed lines with jigs and plastics.  Crappies and Gills were a little inactive but still managed a few to bite.  We will be targeting them for the next 2 weeks for a tournament so hopefully we can get a few more to bless us with their appearances.  Saw a few guys up next to reeds dropping lines down like cane poles catching a few for the dinner table.  Heard they slowed some but then my buddies on a different lake are showing them on fire.

Chill62

Got out fishing Saturday mid day to try to catch some Gills.  I tried about 4 or 5 different spots in the wind till I finally found them in one spot.  Vertical jigging with a jig and plastic was the key presentation.  Girlfriend landed 5 gills over 9 inches long in the 6 hours we were out there.  Was a blast.  Few crappies were mixed in but they were either 12" plus or 8" or less.  Orange Cream Kraken from Panfish Pirate was the go to color and lure.  I tried every other color and the girlfriend just kept catching them left and right.  Needless to say we have 2 more saturday's remaining so we will hopefully get up there on Saturday and catch a few more.  She was 16th with her online tournament as of Saturday morning and as of last night she was 2nd and only trailing by 0.25" so it's time to get serious. 

Sunday we tried south of town a ways and got into a mixed bag.  First place we tried we caught 2 small mouths and a walleye.  Tried a few other spots and we were getting a mixed bag of fish.  Other than a pike and a perch we caught 6 species of fish.  Most were caught on jig and plastic.  Nothing big for gills but we caught a bunch of 12-14" crappies that were instantly released.  Attached are a few pics from this weekend.

20180804_144322.jpg

20180804_162558.jpg

20180805_131112.jpg

Chill62

Fished Saturday central Becker County lake for panfish.  5 mm Panfish Pirate jigs with Push Up (Orange Cream) Kraken plastics were the ticket.  Got out there after eating breakfast in Frazee and the fish were biting instantly.  We landed a ton of big gills and upgraded the girlfriend from who had 5 sunfish 8.5"-8.75" up to 9.0" then as we kept fishing we upgraded 9.0 up again to 9.25".  She was excited to say the least.  She probably landed 20 gills 9.0" or greater on saturday alone.  She landed a few 9.5" and they were denied via the photo because the nose wasn't touching the front of the board which is hog wash but it is what it is.  Saturday no wind water temps were 81.0 and fish were up in the weeds tight!  Didn't keep anything and fished till about 2 ish.

Sunday I took my father and his friend out from Texas.  His friend doesn't fish much so when he had my top of the line UL rod in his hands he didn't know what to think.  Didn't take long though and he was on fire.  We each took a different color and I put dad on Push Up but they wanted Bubble Gum (Pink Cream).  I did get a few on Moby (White) but Push Up was the key color again.  We ended up only fishing from 9 till 11 and kept 8 bigger gills from 8.5-9" all the big boys were thrown back but enough for a few meals of fish is all we were going for and we accomplished that goal.  

We will be hopefully fishing Friday evening if I can get off of work early enough and Saturday.  Tournament ends on Saturday so trying to upgrade a 9.25 to a 9.5" to hopefully secure 1st place in the tournament.  

A more detailed report is in the Members Only page and I encourage people to please become a member and a lot of people are putting some really great reports on there for the members.

Have a great week!