• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Dave38

Engine pulling

Question

Dave38
Posted (edited)

25 HP Merc on 14 ft Lund pulling hard to right???

Edited by Dave38

7 answers to this question

PRO-V

Did you do anything to the lower unit? Trim tab might need adjusting.

Wanderer
19 minutes ago, PRO-V said:

Did you do anything to the lower unit? Trim tab might need adjusting.

+1 on the trim tab being the issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

leech~~
1 hour ago, Dave38 said:

25 HP Merc on 14 ft Lund pulling hard to right???

Welcome to the forum Dave38. 

More then likely the tab like the others have said. Did you do anything to the boat to change the weight around like add a live well or battery in different spots?  Is it a wheel or tiller? 

osok

As stated above most likely the Trim tab under the cavitation plate. Might have came loose, or corroded away if it's a sacrificial Zinc type. Agree with Leech, did you make any changes to your boat recently?  

LoonASea

With your boat on the trailer,,, with the bow slightly raised (like you're on plane) make sure your motor is as close to 90 degrees to the ground ,,, Most pulling is caused by one side of the prop cutting more water then the other side ,,, Good place to start any way 

Finns

Made my wife move to the other side of the boat... Great weight shift!? 

Had to cook my own supper that night. ☹️

• Haha 2

Surface Tension

The torque tab counters the pull caused by the rotation of the prop.   Trimming the outboard in or out(up & down) can make a pull show up or go away.   Your Merc uses an allen wrench or a socket and extension to reach the bolt to loosen the torque tab.

Merc uses a right hand rotation.  If the bow wants to turn right by itself you would move the torque tab towards to the center.