• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Something to consider with fishing pictures.

DonkeyHodey

For the record, I enjoy seeing all the pics of the fish caught and urge you all to keep posting.

I wondered about photographing fish caught out of season (i.e.  an incidental bass caught while clearly targeting panfish between feb 24 and May 12) or in catch-and-release (i.e. bass now).  I want to respect the fishing laws, so I inquired and received the following replies from the DNR:

1.)  If you accidentally catch a fish that is out of season (ex: walleye before May 13th), you would be required to immediately release that fish and it would be illegal to take a photo or measure it.

2.)  Since bass season is open for catch and release, it is legal to take a photo or measure the fish. You will be following the law if you only keep the fish out of the water for a short period of time. If you were to have the bass out of water for an extended amount of time, it would be up to the CO’s discretion if you are breaking the law or not.

I imagine there are many honorable anglers who pride themselves on following the laws that have unknowingly violated #1...

While I believe vast majority of CO's are not interested in ticketing anglers for "grey" offenses, it is conceivable (given the "discretion") that measuring/photographing a nice bass this weekend could lead to a citation for #2...

• Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I wouldn't worry about it I guess. Most folks that I know that take pics are quick about it and the fish swim away healthy. Even if the fish is out of season. It's hard to not take a pic of a nice bass, eye or whatever if that particular season isn't open. Color me guilty. I don't think a CO would get excited about it either. 

• Thumbs Up 2