• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

ducksnbucks

Early season cats on the chain

ducksnbucks

Hey cat guys and gals,

It has been a few years but I have done a fair amount of fishing for cats on the chain in late July and August but have never gone out for them in this "early season" and was looking for some pointers if anyone is willing to give some. My daughters are wanting go fishing so I thought I would bring them out this weekend for some catch and release cats but am not sure if I should look for some faster moving current areas or shallow bays or downed trees? I don't need any hot spots, just some general info if anyone is willing to give it.

Thanks in advance and have a good weekend!

Rick G

Down trees in the river sections will almost always get my attention first.  Slip bobber with leeches or a chunk of crawler.

Horseshoe_Don

they are biting in horseshoe in 5-to 12 feet of water.    Just use a bobber and any bait.    Set the bobber at 3 to 5 feet.  Use a bobber that tips and wait for the bobber to completely tip and then set the hook.  That simple.   They are everywhere and at sun down they are on the surface and i see hundreds off my dock.

Don

jigginjim

what cat are you getting? I was thinking could be fun to find some eater size.

14-18 inch is what i thinking of as eater cats.  or 10 to 14 inch bullheads.

ducksnbucks

Thanks guys for the info. I think we will head out tomorrow and give it a shot. Will report what we find, thanks again! 

Horseshoe_Don
21 hours ago, jigginjim said:

what cat are you getting? I was thinking could be fun to find some eater size.

14-18 inch is what i thinking of as eater cats.  or 10 to 14 inch bullheads.

All sizes.  no bullheads in the chain.

Rick G
49 minutes ago, Horseshoe_Don said:

All sizes.  no bullheads in the chain.

Not as easy to find bullheads in the chain as it was in the 80s-90s.... but you will still get a few here and there. The cats took care of most of the bullies over the yrs?

• Thumbs Up 1

ducksnbucks

Thanks guys for the info. Had a great time with the girls yesterday afternoon. We caught bluegills up to 9", crappies to 11", saw a lot of nice bass, and as we wanted, caught some nice cats. All fish were between 19 and 24", extremely fat fish and lots of fun to catch. The girls were thrilled at the action and all fish were released to be caught another day. Bluegills were not creating beds yet but the crappies were starting to. Thanks again and have a good one!

• Thumbs Up 2