• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cliff Wagenbach

• delcecchi

• SkunkedAgain

• james_walleye

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty slow walleye weekend for us around Moccasin Point area compared to what we usually do. Managed to put together a fish fry and bring a couple home but had to settle for 14" - 15" to get them. Di

I just returned home from a sweltering 4 day trip on Vermilion. In all of the years that I have fished Lake Vermilion, I don't ever remember it being so hot for so long. We had no top on our boat and

We returned home today from a short 3 day fishing trip on Vermilion. The weather was chilly most of the time and windy during our entire trip. All of the fishing took place on the east end of the lake

Posted Images

SkunkedAgain

Congratulations on retiring. I hope the final day is a long lunch and a beer send-off.

I'll see you out there.

• Thumbs Up 1
Hookmaster

Congratulations on your retirement CigarGuy. I retired in December and it's fantabulous!!!  😃

• Thumbs Up 2
JerkinLips

Congratulations on retirement, CigarGuy.  It has been 2 years for me now and I know you will love it.  Can't say I have been fishing more than when I was working, but at least I can pick the best times to go.

• Thumbs Up 1
delcecchi

Congratulations on Retirement!

• Thumbs Up 1
SkunkedAgain

I was awakened this morning by the sweet sound of a 2-stroke plodding through Black Bay on the crappie hunt. It's a much better wakeup sound than a whiney snowmobile motor, that's for sure. I should find an alarm clock that sounds like an old outboard plowing through the lake waters....

• Thumbs Up 3
Sorgy

Cigar Guy congrats on your retirement!!! I will start spending a lot more time up there this season as well. There is nothing like that first run down the lake of the season. Good luck  on the early season crappies.

Steve

• Thumbs Up 1
Raven77

Congrats Bill!

• Thumbs Up 1
Fish Head

Congrats! I've got another 5 or 6 years to go before retirement. Plan to spend half the year at Vermilion and half in Hawaii. Already saving up for a saltwater fishing boat. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • l Love It 1
CigarGuy

Thanks for the retirement wishes! Spent the first official day putting in a new onboard charger in my boat and doing a little road maintenance with my neighbor. Just sat on the neighbors dock for an hour and got one crappie. Start of retirement feels great!

IMG_20210419_145244128_HDR.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
SkunkedAgain

I saw a few boats out in the water but not as many as I expected for a nice weekend. When I left on Sunday night I noticed that your dock was still up, but I think your lights were on. It was tough though to see through the raindrops pelting my face! Fun times on the lake.

CigarGuy

I got up Sunday afternoon. I'm debating dropping my dock in, I want my dock builder/ barge company to see the lean or torque that's on it since they made the "L" permanent. One boat came out of Black Bay when we were fishing. Did you happen to notice the water temp in the bay?

BrianF

Was 46-48 degrees.  Guessing it’s come off of that since Sun afternoon. 

• Thanks 1
SkunkedAgain

Thanks BrianF. I only took the boat out once and that was Friday evening to take a slow cruise and enjoy the sunset. I didn't pay attention to the water temp. However, there was a pod of six pelicans hanging out in the bay so that was something different.

Good luck with the dock.

Sorgy

Nice view, Where on the lake is that?

BrianF

East end of Waconda Bay.  Our dock points N towards Niles Point, which you can see in the background there.  Been eight years now since we bought; every year better than the last.   

Edited by BrianF
SkunkedAgain

That's a beautiful part of the lake. Great pictures.

Forgive my ignorance as this is more of a map question. Is "Garbage Point" right next to Niles Point? I've heard the name over the years and believe that it is right around there on the north side.

BrianF

Due to all the the weeds, I’ve heard the name ‘Garbage Bay’ given to the bay just West of Niles Point - which bay actually has a name, Laura Bay - but I’ve not heard of Garbage Point.  Maybe it’s associated with Garbage Bay?  Dunno for sure...

BigVTim

I'm headed up this weekend to dust off the camper. Is it worth bringing the boat for Crappies? Any one heard any reports? I'm assuming they are still deep but maybe with the early ice out they are already up in black bay. Cheers! I'll be nice just to smell the cold north air again.

CigarGuy

Been fishing the neighbors dock in Partridge River the last 3 evenings and have only caught 2 crappies. Don't have the boat in the water yet.

• Thumbs Up 1
leech~~
2 hours ago, CigarGuy said:

Been fishing the neighbors dock in Partridge River the last 3 evenings and have only caught 2 crappies. Don't have the boat in the water yet.

Maybe you have to switch to your dock? 😄

CigarGuy

My dock is still up in the air🙂

• Yayyyy 1
SkunkedAgain

I hear that to catch suspended crappies, it is best for the fisherman to be suspended as well. I suggest crawling out to the end of yours!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 2
CigarGuy
2 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

I hear that to catch suspended crappies, it is best for the fisherman to be suspended as well. I suggest crawling out to the end of yours!

Funny guy🙂. Got skunked again 🙂 tonight. Might need to try your idea. Lots of boats heading to Black Bay this evening. Saw the new barge service heading that way. Wonder how long before the local barge service will be down here?

• Thumbs Up 1
SkunkedAgain

Crappie reports anyone?

Edited by SkunkedAgain
CigarGuy

Glad you had some luck. Dock fished every evening and only caught a couple of crappies-tossed them back. Manick put my dock in this morning, was going to wait till my lift gets put in to launch the boat. But, with your report and nicer weather coming early in the week, probably going to change my mind. Sure seemed like a lot of boats were heading back that way over the weekend. I was riding the utv, but I would be paralleling The Partridge river, but in the woods, so I don't think you could hear me. Was hoping for a report, thanks!! Btw, you made me hungry for a fresh fish dinner 👍

• Rick changed the title to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  We are in the heart of a great summer walleye pattern on LOW. This means good fishing is taking place with two primary methods, pulling spinners with live bait and trolling crankbaits.
      Most anglers are targeting walleyes in 30-34' of water over deep mud. Lots of big fish being caught.  The scattered reefs are holding fish as well.  Spinners and crawlers have been very effective.  Hammered gold, pink, orange and red / white spinners doing well.
      Trolling crankbaits and covering water over deep mud has also been effective.  Anglers getting cranks deep in a number of ways.  Leadcore line, a 4 ounce bottom bouncer with a 6' leader, snap weights or downriggers are all viable options.
      On the Rainy River...   The Rainy River is a great option on windy days, small boats, kayaks or for a change of pace.  Fishing the river producing walleyes, saugers, smallmouth, pike and sturgeon.  
      If targeting walleyes, holes, current breaks, rock piles and weed edges can all hold fish.  Pull spinners or troll cranks to find fish.
      The sturgeon "keep" season continues through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great summer walleye fishing this week.  Fish in various areas including  the mud, structure such as sunken islands and underwater points and rocky areas.
      Most anglers drifting spinners with crawlers or minnows and trolling crankbaits.  
      Pike continue to be active in weedy bays using crankbaits and bucktails.  
      Canada announced driving over the border will be possible August 9th for fully vaccinated Americans who have a negative PCR COVID test less than 72 hours old. Other ways to the Angle...
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service from the south end of the lake.  

• Dash 1
      By Dash 1
      Curious how the depth is in river from Wolf lake to Andrusia and Cass. Is it navigateable.  Was  up there last September and went through there. Kind of scenic and nice slow ride on the mighty Mississippi.  Did get a few fish as well.  Hopefully going there again this year.  Staying at my brother's cabin with his son and my dad near Becida. With dad in his early 80s hoping to keep this 3 year tradition going for a while.
    • PSU
      By PSU
      Heard from an island neighbor (Church Island) next to ours that a bear killed a small dog yesterday around 8:00 pm on an island in Frazer Bay. Also, my other island neighbor to the east (Juniper Island) reported three bears yesterday and one chased after their labrador retriever.  

Watch your pets friends, some of these bears are very aggressive!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A lot of summer walleyes are being caught and fishing has been good.  
      Not all walleyes are targeting the same forage consequently walleyes are being caught shallow to deep.   Many of the shallow fish are eating crayfish or schools of baitfish.  Deep fish feeding on baitfish, mayfly larvae, blood worms, tullibees and the list goes on!
      Most anglers are targeting walleyes in 30-34' of water over deep mud.  The scattered reefs can always hold fish as well.  Spinners and crawlers have been very effective.  Hammered gold, orange and red / white spinners doing well.
      Trolling crankbaits has also been effective.  This technique puts your lure in front of a lot of fish and will get those "reaction" bites even when fish aren't actively feeding.  Pink UV Firetiger, chrome/blue and shiny golds are good colors to start with. 
      On the Rainy River...   The Rainy River producing a variety of fish.  Walleyes, saugers, smallmouth, pike and sturgeon are in the mix.    
      If targeting walleyes, holes, current breaks, rock piles and weed edges can all hold fish.  Pull spinners or troll cranks to find fish.
      The river is a great change of pace, is beautiful and doesn't receive a lot of traffic during the summer months.
      The sturgeon "keep" season opened July 1st and is open through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Lots of walleyes being caught.  Some fish over the mud, others hanging around structure and a few in shallow rocks eating crayfish.  
      Anchoring up with jigs and minnows or leeches on the spot on the spot can be effective.  If fish aren't there, move and find them.  Most anglers drifting spinners and crawlers and trolling crankbaits over deep mud areas.  
      Pike are active in weedy bays using crankbaits and bucktails.  
      With the Canada border still closed, there are a few ways to get up to the Angle.  
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service from the south end of the lake.  
      A complete list of lodging and fishing packages around LOW at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging.  For last minute lodging, try the lodging availability finder at www.fishingminnesota.com/lodging-availability-request/

• CigarGuy
      By CigarGuy
      Have some friends coming up this weekend. They have an 18" glass pleasure boat. Wondering if with the low water, we'll have trouble launching? Anybody use the launch lately?
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      Day 3 of using nothing but drop shots, wacky rigs, and jig and craw took me to Wisconsin to see if I could continue my newfound favorite lures. I went to Church Pine Lake, just east of Osceola. Never been here before, so had no clue what to expect. Turns out to be a nice little lake for a small boat such as mine. Lots of potential here, but fishing was tough today. Most fish came on the drop shot on the deep weed edges. 6 bass and 1 little pike. Highlight came at the very end of the day, where I caught a 21 inch bass right in front of the access. Best way to end the day 😁

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Another really good week of summer walleye fishing.  Walleyes are being found in many areas but most are targeting deep mud in 30 - 34' of water.
      A nice mix of eaters, slots and quite a few trophy walleyes over 28 inches caught this week.  Spinners with crawlers / leeches or trolling crankbaits have been the most effective techniques.  
      Good spinner blade colors to start with are hammered gold, red / white, gold / glow, pink, orange or chartreuse.
      Crankbait colors, pink UV firetiger, chrome / blue, firetiger.  It is good to start with different colors / shapes / action of cranks when fishing with other anglers and let the walleyes tell you that day what they want.    
      On the Rainy River...   The river produces a mixed bag of fish during the summer months.  Walleyes, saugers, smallmouth, pike and sturgeon are all available.  
      The sturgeon "keep" season opened July 1st and is open through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Lots of walleyes being caught.  Some fish over the mud, others hanging around structure and a few in shallow rocks eating crayfish.  
      Anchoring up with jigs and minnows or leeches on structure is still effective if fish are present.  Most anglers drifting spinners and crawlers over deep mud areas.  Trolling crankbaits continues to be effective.
      With the Canada border still closed, there are a few ways to get up to the Angle.  

• Marye
      By Marye
      So I'm fairly new to the area my boys love fishing as do I . We have been attempting for the past couple of weeks to find a place we can fish without a boat. In between Brainerd and Little Falls. Also times of day to go. We love fishing I'm a newbie as well so just looking for ideas please and thank you.
    • rumeye
      By rumeye
      Going up to GM 16th through the 21st bringing my 14fter was looking at Ball club and east west twin for walleyes. Anybody fish these before or am I just better off smallie fishing on Two Island or trout in Kimball. I know JB and Moose will have some feedback so what say you ? going up with the wife and 8 yr old grandson they will be kayaking me fishing. Although grandson will probably want to be fishing with me. Appreciate any feedback from you guys thanks.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  An excellent week of walleye fishing.  Walleyes are being found in a variety of areas, but most anglers focusing on deep mud in 30 - 34' of water, although anglers found fish in less than 20' as well.
      Walleyes can be scattered across big mud basins or hanging out in small schools.  Covering water by drifting snelled spinners with a crawler or leech or trolling crankbaits has been effective.  
      Anglers using a 2-3 ounce weight for spinners in deeper water.  For trolling crankbaits, many options.  Downriggers, lead core line, a 4 oz bottom bouncer with a 6' mono / fluorocarbon leader or snap weights to get your lures down to the fish.
      A nice mix of sizes include small fish, eaters, slots (19.5 - 28") and trophy walleyes over 28".  Summer is a great time to target big fish.
      On the Rainy River...   The river producing a mixed bag of fish.  Walleyes, saugers, smallmouth, pike and sturgeon are all available.  
      From the mouth of the Rainy River at Wheeler's Point to Birchdale, there is 42 miles of navigable river.  A fun option on high wind days or for a change of pace.  Water levels are low so use caution in shallow areas.  
      Anchoring up with jigs and minnows on structure is still effective as if fish are there, they will come through in waves.  Most anglers drifting spinners and crawlers over deep mud areas.  Trolling crankbaits has also been effective.
      Good pike fishing for those who like targeting them.  Muskie anglers boating some nice 50 plus inch fish all on the U.S. side as the border is closed.  Smallmouth hanging around deep rocky areas.  .
      With the Canada border still closed, there are many ways to get up to the Angle.  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      Oh you'll have plenty of time before snow flies.😉 you just need to put your mind to it !!👍🤭
    • TrueNorth
      I rented a cabin in June that had the new StarLink (Elon Musk) in it.  Let me tell ya....Lighting!  I was pulling 150 to 200 MB.     4 of us stayed there and zero problems...even during heavy cloud cover.  This is the solution for fast internet up there. 
    • StillFishin'
      I don’t know the technical on how ACcess Mn works, but we have it as of this year.  I still have my CC service( which used ATT tower in Frazier but too far away)  as I’m up not up there permanently.  No internet at the cabin before but now there is, plus Wifi calling.  I may ditch my land which will save $.      
    • leech~~
      I'm wondering if you should try and use long track sled tracks as it maybe a bit tippy, or keep it as wide as you can. Are you may find out you will need a pair of skis out front for better stability? There are a bunch of them on Youtube to look at. Some of them seem more front to back tippy then side to side becuase of being top heavy. But, Im no engineer! 😆 Love the concept! 👍
    • Austin12345
      I think when your ice fishing a fish finder is your most essential piece of gear it makes a worlds difference to be able to hole hop and find different areas and see fish chasing. In the summer time it is not as essential but it can give you a huge advantage if you know how to use your unit right.  
    • Mtnman
      Happy you are getting rain. Should be back on Rainy the end of August.  Cheers !!  
    • papadarv
      My total design. All details are mind created as I build. Did this sketch design last Dec.   In my "Open Air Workshop" behind my shed  
    • delcecchi
      Well, missed us again.     That radar overlay at Wunderground wundermap seems to be off a little.  Basically, pffft it was done.   A lttle toonder and lightning and then nothing.   
    • Mike89
      tornado and water spouts are one and the same I was taught....  just sayin....
    • Steve Smith233
      Thanks for your informative article.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.