• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

If you cast a 3/8 oz white spinnerbait you will get a bunch of bass and more than likely pick up a musky or two

• Thanks 1

I'm coming up tomorrow to Vermilion Dam Lodge for the first time. Are leeches a good bet now? Might get a pound on the way up. 

That's all the neighbors and I have been using and catching some walleyes. If you're in the cities stop in Harris and get yourself some. Last time I was up I bought a 1/4 lb of Jumbo's and only got 19 leeches. Tonight on the way up I bought a 1/2 lb of large and got more than I wanted to count. Plus, they're good size. $18 and change.

• Thumbs Up 2

Was up over the last weekend and did okay on Saturday night  catching 5 eyes on the west side in niles bay area.  2 nice 18" eaters and the rest were all slot fish. lindys and crawlers worked best in shallower breaks 11'- 19'  Went out the next morning and saw all of the mayfly slicks floating.  Didn't get any Sunday.  Be up in a couple weeks.  Walleyes might be tight lipped on the west side for a week or so.  the 2 i cut up saturday did have mayflies in them.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

Spent 2 12hr days fishing the west side for skis. I fished every rockpile I saw on gps and every weedbed I could see. Not even one follow. Next time I'll head to the east side.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 2

Last weekend there were a TON of boats musky fishing in HeadOLakes bay. There were so many that I actually had to come off plane and snake my way through the boats since they were packed in so close together. Still quite a few boats that were out chasing musky on Sunday.

• I Like it 1

Definitely if your coming up to Musky fish the above report of 2 twelve hours days on West end and not even a follow has been my experience as well……through many humbling trips.   In addition lots of boats trolling on west end as well … early season ……

Try East of Oak Narrows …… you will immediately become a much better Musky fisherman … 

• Yayyyy 1

2 hours ago, Bob Schultz said:

Definitely if your coming up to Musky fish the above report of 2 twelve hours days on West end and not even a follow has been my experience as well……through many humbling trips.   In addition lots of boats trolling on west end as well … early season ……

Try East of Oak Narrows …… you will immediately become a much better Musky fisherman … 

Like Frazer Bay/Gold island area? Or the main east basin?

• Thumbs Up 1

Exactly …… you will see guys casting proven spots …… in those areas … in addition to spots that simply look good on the map … and visually … I think numbers of fish are greater east end  - very similar to walleye numbers …

• Thumbs Up 1

Absolutely.  Anyone interested in Muskies should only fish east of oak narrows....   Please... ?  preferably even further east..

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 2

Anybody been doing any good? We’ve been staying at timbuktu and have been struggling a ton! Doesn’t seem like there’s any fish ? especially walleyes!

• Wow, ❤ 1

We fished walleyes last night. Caught a couple but not like we had been. They were in 12 feet on a sand/rock transition. Tons of mayflies hatching right now

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Muskyhunter73 said:

We fished walleyes last night. Caught a couple but not like we had been. They were in 12 feet on a sand/rock transition. Tons of mayflies hatching right now

We’re going to try it tonight, spent most of the day fishing for muskies with only one follow 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, buttcy01 said:

We’re going to try it tonight, spent most of the day fishing for muskies with only one follow 

I mostly fished muskies today. Had two hit this morning. Finally saw a fish on the rocks tonight. Heard of one 51 incher caught tonight. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Good to hear from you Mark.  Always liked your reports and glad your still posting when you get back to LV.

jim

On 7/2/2020 at 11:24 AM, BigVTim said:

Nice! Good bag of fish. Surprised they are still so shallow mid-day.

Yeah, I was shocked. I figured we would catch some nice smallies and that would be worth it. 

Finally got back out in the boat.  Water temp had gone to 84 degrees from 73 a week ago..

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • Thanks 1

Water was a little cooler today.   Still to hot to fish, and had grandkids here.    Finally some rain.  Looks like over an inch...  Maybe I won't need that extra dock section after all.  

• Thanks 1

I would agree with James about tough bite. The last few days have been tough. You wont see those mayflies in Big Bay, because they all hatched last week. We have had high heat no wind to go with mayflies,then fish flies so I think that explains the problem. It will get better soon as minnows become primary food source for eyes. Wont see you out there for a while as I have to leave for a week. Good Luck !!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Finally cooled off a little, so off to hit it for an hour or two..  Got grand kids here so have to stick around some.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

I know it’s a little ways out but will be my first time going to lake vermilion August 7-10 out of Norwegian bay. Just wondering how the bass fishing is and will be around that time if anyone knows 

Mark B!!!  Great to hear one of your reports again. I sure miss them.  Take care and I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip in Sept. 

Vermilion is a "no brainer" when it comes to smallmouth. You'll be fine in early August. What is your favorite way ti catch bass? Start with that and work from there. One of my favorites is a white/pearl fluke...they eat those things up.

image.png.b78d7e541a4eb96b4d84a3c45c150996.png

• Thumbs Up 3
  • l Love It 1

• The title was changed to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports